Mayor Nick Martin expected to resign on Tuesday

This Is Wiltshire: Swindon Mayor Nick Martin Swindon Mayor Nick Martin

THE Adver understands Swindon Mayor Nick Martin is to resign from his post on Tuesday following a meeting of the Conservative Group on Monday night.

Coun Martin (Con, Shaw) has come under immense pressure to resign from the post of mayor after being asked to apologise for using derogatory language towards disabled people.

In a meeting last October he said: “Are we still letting those Mongols have sex with each other?”

Last week an investigation found the mayor in breach of the Members’ Code of Conduct because of what he said and ordered him to apologise.

Speaking to the Adver shortly after the announcement he said sorry for using the word ‘mong’ but many, including charity Scope, said this was not enough and he needed to go.

At the time of making his apology Coun Martin said he was considering his position because it did not allow him to campaign in the up-coming local elections.

The subsequent furore surrounding the outcome of the decision has received national attention and a demonstration is planned on Tuesday afternoon demanding he resign, although this may now be cancelled.

Comments (27)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:13am Tue 15 Apr 14

anyopinion says...

Is Nick Martin now free to join the front bench of the Tory cabinet? He had displayed the same moral standards required for that priviledged post after all....
Is Nick Martin now free to join the front bench of the Tory cabinet? He had displayed the same moral standards required for that priviledged post after all.... anyopinion
  • Score: 12

7:09am Tue 15 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

Long overdue and should step down from politics for good, it has a bad enough name without making it worse with idiots like him!
Long overdue and should step down from politics for good, it has a bad enough name without making it worse with idiots like him! house on the hill
  • Score: 12

7:20am Tue 15 Apr 14

Al Smith says...

So that means he'll be able to campaign on behalf of Mary Martin who is standing in the Shaw ward then?
So that means he'll be able to campaign on behalf of Mary Martin who is standing in the Shaw ward then? Al Smith
  • Score: 6

7:35am Tue 15 Apr 14

Oik1 says...

"At the time of making his apology Coun Martin said he was considering his position because it did not allow him to campaign in the up-coming local elections."

Surely this odius turd of a person must realise that by his words and desperate holding onto the position of Mayor, feeling he'd said nothing wrong, the one person that's done more damage to his credibility is himself, can't he see he comes across to the general public as a complete disgrace and ignorant in the extream?
"At the time of making his apology Coun Martin said he was considering his position because it did not allow him to campaign in the up-coming local elections." Surely this odius turd of a person must realise that by his words and desperate holding onto the position of Mayor, feeling he'd said nothing wrong, the one person that's done more damage to his credibility is himself, can't he see he comes across to the general public as a complete disgrace and ignorant in the extream? Oik1
  • Score: 12

7:58am Tue 15 Apr 14

Always Grumpy says...

Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man.
I live in hope though.
Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man. I live in hope though. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 12

8:05am Tue 15 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man.
I live in hope though.
But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man. I live in hope though.[/p][/quote]But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change. house on the hill
  • Score: 7

8:13am Tue 15 Apr 14

Spurs Fan says...

Letting him stand down from Mayor does not show the Conservative Party in Swindon in a very good light. If the party was as progressive and forward thinking as it would have us believe, it would have sacked this odious man as soon as the standards committee found him guilty of the offense. I suppose the party is more concerned about keeping it's one seat majority on council than the views and wishes of the vast majority of the people of Swindon. I now hope the good people of his ward vote him out at their first opportunity. Do the people of Shaw want this bigot as their representative?
Letting him stand down from Mayor does not show the Conservative Party in Swindon in a very good light. If the party was as progressive and forward thinking as it would have us believe, it would have sacked this odious man as soon as the standards committee found him guilty of the offense. I suppose the party is more concerned about keeping it's one seat majority on council than the views and wishes of the vast majority of the people of Swindon. I now hope the good people of his ward vote him out at their first opportunity. Do the people of Shaw want this bigot as their representative? Spurs Fan
  • Score: 6

8:27am Tue 15 Apr 14

house on the hill says...

Spurs Fan wrote:
Letting him stand down from Mayor does not show the Conservative Party in Swindon in a very good light. If the party was as progressive and forward thinking as it would have us believe, it would have sacked this odious man as soon as the standards committee found him guilty of the offense. I suppose the party is more concerned about keeping it's one seat majority on council than the views and wishes of the vast majority of the people of Swindon. I now hope the good people of his ward vote him out at their first opportunity. Do the people of Shaw want this bigot as their representative?
I am sure they dont want who he is, but most would rather vote for him than any other party and most feel they have to vote for someone so he no doubt will get back in. Personally I would not vote for him or anyone else but then if you dont vote it seems that is wrong too! The system is flawed that allows this to happen time and again.
[quote][p][bold]Spurs Fan[/bold] wrote: Letting him stand down from Mayor does not show the Conservative Party in Swindon in a very good light. If the party was as progressive and forward thinking as it would have us believe, it would have sacked this odious man as soon as the standards committee found him guilty of the offense. I suppose the party is more concerned about keeping it's one seat majority on council than the views and wishes of the vast majority of the people of Swindon. I now hope the good people of his ward vote him out at their first opportunity. Do the people of Shaw want this bigot as their representative?[/p][/quote]I am sure they dont want who he is, but most would rather vote for him than any other party and most feel they have to vote for someone so he no doubt will get back in. Personally I would not vote for him or anyone else but then if you dont vote it seems that is wrong too! The system is flawed that allows this to happen time and again. house on the hill
  • Score: 1

8:53am Tue 15 Apr 14

Always Grumpy says...

house on the hill wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man.
I live in hope though.
But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change.
I only hope you're wrong on this and his constituents see this man for what he really is - an utter disgrace.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man. I live in hope though.[/p][/quote]But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change.[/p][/quote]I only hope you're wrong on this and his constituents see this man for what he really is - an utter disgrace. Always Grumpy
  • Score: 6

9:17am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

The fact he has had to be forced to resign by his own party says all you need to know about the moral compass of this man. The Tories should remove his whip and he should resign as a Councillor. He serves in my ward and I don't want his like representing me.
The fact he has had to be forced to resign by his own party says all you need to know about the moral compass of this man. The Tories should remove his whip and he should resign as a Councillor. He serves in my ward and I don't want his like representing me. Wildwestener
  • Score: 9

9:36am Tue 15 Apr 14

The Witch says...

Resigning as mayor is a farce anyway, don't we get a new mayor elected next month? So since October this man has still enjoyed the benefits of this office. He is a disgrace to the mayoral uniform he wears which has been worn by some good people who have served this town well in the past. He has no morals at all, if he did he would have resigned at the start of this incident.
Resigning as mayor is a farce anyway, don't we get a new mayor elected next month? So since October this man has still enjoyed the benefits of this office. He is a disgrace to the mayoral uniform he wears which has been worn by some good people who have served this town well in the past. He has no morals at all, if he did he would have resigned at the start of this incident. The Witch
  • Score: 6

9:42am Tue 15 Apr 14

Davey Gravey says...

Don't ever give him or those who did nothing about what he did, and in some cases backed him the chance to have a say in swindon again. Boot the lot of them out by going out and voting next month. Even without this incident they have done more than enough damage anyway to warrant their removal.
Don't ever give him or those who did nothing about what he did, and in some cases backed him the chance to have a say in swindon again. Boot the lot of them out by going out and voting next month. Even without this incident they have done more than enough damage anyway to warrant their removal. Davey Gravey
  • Score: 6

9:46am Tue 15 Apr 14

Old Town Comment says...

The local Conservative party rallied round to protect Cllr Martin at that farcical vote before Christmas. They lost credibility.
I suggest that they may start to win some back by removing the whip from him for at least a suspension.
I like to feel everyone is capable of redemption, but it has to be said that Nick Martin has form and that form seems to be lack of understanding or empathy for others. And a complete lack of understanding for the effects of his actions.
Swindon Conservatives, it is your business, but you would look better to many if you stood back from this man until he changes his approach.
The local Conservative party rallied round to protect Cllr Martin at that farcical vote before Christmas. They lost credibility. I suggest that they may start to win some back by removing the whip from him for at least a suspension. I like to feel everyone is capable of redemption, but it has to be said that Nick Martin has form and that form seems to be lack of understanding or empathy for others. And a complete lack of understanding for the effects of his actions. Swindon Conservatives, it is your business, but you would look better to many if you stood back from this man until he changes his approach. Old Town Comment
  • Score: 4

9:56am Tue 15 Apr 14

Richard Symonds says...

Al Smith wrote:
So that means he'll be able to campaign on behalf of Mary Martin who is standing in the Shaw ward then?
and if Mary is successful she will be able to join Nick as Councillor for Shaw.

Is it right that a husband and wife team represent the same ward?

If you have an issue with one of them personally it will be difficult to speak to the other one, won't it?
[quote][p][bold]Al Smith[/bold] wrote: So that means he'll be able to campaign on behalf of Mary Martin who is standing in the Shaw ward then?[/p][/quote]and if Mary is successful she will be able to join Nick as Councillor for Shaw. Is it right that a husband and wife team represent the same ward? If you have an issue with one of them personally it will be difficult to speak to the other one, won't it? Richard Symonds
  • Score: 6

9:59am Tue 15 Apr 14

Robh says...

One aside comment which is probably what many people think and the knives are out. This politically correct society is beyond comprehension.
One aside comment which is probably what many people think and the knives are out. This politically correct society is beyond comprehension. Robh
  • Score: -11

10:00am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

Justread Nick Martin's resignation letter on the n ew Adver article. Talk about ungracious - Mr Martin, no-one has been attacking the office of Mayor, they've been attacking you and your utterly contemptible behaviour. Now do us all a favour and resign from the Council, you are a disgrace to the town, your ward constituents and the party you represent.
Justread Nick Martin's resignation letter on the n ew Adver article. Talk about ungracious - Mr Martin, no-one has been attacking the office of Mayor, they've been attacking you and your utterly contemptible behaviour. Now do us all a favour and resign from the Council, you are a disgrace to the town, your ward constituents and the party you represent. Wildwestener
  • Score: 9

10:03am Tue 15 Apr 14

Richard Symonds says...

house on the hill wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man.
I live in hope though.
But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change.
This time the people of Shaw have the choice of an Independent who will only look after the interests of the ward and represent them not a Political Party.

Council always divides and supports Party Political lines.

Time for change!!
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: Wishful thinking to hope that's the last we ever see or hear of this quite obnoxious man. I live in hope though.[/p][/quote]But then if people vote for him what does that say about them? Some of our moronic council get elected time and again, so we only have ourselves to blame really. Most people tend to vote for a party rather than an individual so that probably wont change.[/p][/quote]This time the people of Shaw have the choice of an Independent who will only look after the interests of the ward and represent them not a Political Party. Council always divides and supports Party Political lines. Time for change!! Richard Symonds
  • Score: 6

10:10am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

Robh wrote:
One aside comment which is probably what many people think and the knives are out. This politically correct society is beyond comprehension.
the only thing beyond comprehension is that you defend this odious behaviour
[quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: One aside comment which is probably what many people think and the knives are out. This politically correct society is beyond comprehension.[/p][/quote]the only thing beyond comprehension is that you defend this odious behaviour Wildwestener
  • Score: 4

10:13am Tue 15 Apr 14

Old Town Comment says...

Robh.
I have never minded effing and jeffing, I have never minded ironic discussion, I do believe offence is taken and rarely given, yes PC CAN be a farce. But not here.

a- the comment was about controlling other people's lives. It was a clear opinion, not a real compassionate question. If there is an issue there to discuss, heh probably badly done.
b- if you are out of touch with the zeitgeist, sometimes best to apologise - not to 'forget' if you said it.
c- It was about the unseemly hold onto the position, the influence by him or others to elongate the process, the fake politics.

So PC can be a pain, but this wasn't anti PC, it was just a bit crass.
I can forgive crass......with a genuine and timely apology.
Robh. I have never minded effing and jeffing, I have never minded ironic discussion, I do believe offence is taken and rarely given, yes PC CAN be a farce. But not here. a- the comment was about controlling other people's lives. It was a clear opinion, not a real compassionate question. If there is an issue there to discuss, heh probably badly done. b- if you are out of touch with the zeitgeist, sometimes best to apologise - not to 'forget' if you said it. c- It was about the unseemly hold onto the position, the influence by him or others to elongate the process, the fake politics. So PC can be a pain, but this wasn't anti PC, it was just a bit crass. I can forgive crass......with a genuine and timely apology. Old Town Comment
  • Score: -4

10:34am Tue 15 Apr 14

Robh says...

If I make a comment to someone who takes offence then I expect to be chastised but when some one overhears that comment and takes offence then tough. How many times do you hear cursing and swearing in public. Do people run to the nearest police officer to complain?
If I make a comment to someone who takes offence then I expect to be chastised but when some one overhears that comment and takes offence then tough. How many times do you hear cursing and swearing in public. Do people run to the nearest police officer to complain? Robh
  • Score: -1

10:39am Tue 15 Apr 14

Old Town Comment says...

Big feature on just resigned mayor Nick Martin's view of the needs of disable people in today's Independent newspaper http://ow.ly/vNAtp
Big feature on just resigned mayor Nick Martin's view of the needs of disable people in today's Independent newspaper http://ow.ly/vNAtp Old Town Comment
  • Score: 1

10:41am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

Robh wrote:
If I make a comment to someone who takes offence then I expect to be chastised but when some one overhears that comment and takes offence then tough. How many times do you hear cursing and swearing in public. Do people run to the nearest police officer to complain?
It's not as simple as someone swearing in street though is it. This man was supposed to be the civic head of Swindon. He was heard saying that some members of that community should basically not be allowed to have because they were different.
If he's not in a position of trust and where he should be setting an example, he should just be challenged for being a moron. In the position of Mayor, it's absolutely right he stands down. Shame on hm for not doing it straight away and shame on you for backing him.
[quote][p][bold]Robh[/bold] wrote: If I make a comment to someone who takes offence then I expect to be chastised but when some one overhears that comment and takes offence then tough. How many times do you hear cursing and swearing in public. Do people run to the nearest police officer to complain?[/p][/quote]It's not as simple as someone swearing in street though is it. This man was supposed to be the civic head of Swindon. He was heard saying that some members of that community should basically not be allowed to have because they were different. If he's not in a position of trust and where he should be setting an example, he should just be challenged for being a moron. In the position of Mayor, it's absolutely right he stands down. Shame on hm for not doing it straight away and shame on you for backing him. Wildwestener
  • Score: 5

10:49am Tue 15 Apr 14

Alex English says...

@Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'.

Irony is not the word.
@Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'. Irony is not the word. Alex English
  • Score: 2

10:53am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

Old Town Comment wrote:
Big feature on just resigned mayor Nick Martin's view of the needs of disable people in today's Independent newspaper http://ow.ly/vNAtp
that says all that needs to be said very well i think.
[quote][p][bold]Old Town Comment[/bold] wrote: Big feature on just resigned mayor Nick Martin's view of the needs of disable people in today's Independent newspaper http://ow.ly/vNAtp[/p][/quote]that says all that needs to be said very well i think. Wildwestener
  • Score: 1

11:20am Tue 15 Apr 14

Wildwestener says...

Alex English wrote:
@Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'.

Irony is not the word.
no you are right, irony isn't the right word. Oh and I am calling him a moron because he thinks disabled people need his permission to have sex, not because he used the word Mongol.
[quote][p][bold]Alex English[/bold] wrote: @Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'. Irony is not the word.[/p][/quote]no you are right, irony isn't the right word. Oh and I am calling him a moron because he thinks disabled people need his permission to have sex, not because he used the word Mongol. Wildwestener
  • Score: 1

12:09pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Alex English says...

Wildwestener wrote:
Alex English wrote:
@Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'.

Irony is not the word.
no you are right, irony isn't the right word. Oh and I am calling him a moron because he thinks disabled people need his permission to have sex, not because he used the word Mongol.
Nice attempt at back pedalling.

The word 'moron' is equally as offensive as 'mongol'. As they are both offensive and antiquated words relating to people with mental health problems, it was very ironic that you appear offended by one person's comments and responded in virtually the same manner.

Although, it does highlight how much of this kind of thing comes down to perception. You appear to think it's acceptable to refer to people as 'morons', the mayor apparently seems it's acceptable to refer to people as 'mongols'.

You're both as bad as each other.
[quote][p][bold]Wildwestener[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alex English[/bold] wrote: @Wildwestener: you just called someone a 'moron' for using the term 'mongol'. Irony is not the word.[/p][/quote]no you are right, irony isn't the right word. Oh and I am calling him a moron because he thinks disabled people need his permission to have sex, not because he used the word Mongol.[/p][/quote]Nice attempt at back pedalling. The word 'moron' is equally as offensive as 'mongol'. As they are both offensive and antiquated words relating to people with mental health problems, it was very ironic that you appear offended by one person's comments and responded in virtually the same manner. Although, it does highlight how much of this kind of thing comes down to perception. You appear to think it's acceptable to refer to people as 'morons', the mayor apparently seems it's acceptable to refer to people as 'mongols'. You're both as bad as each other. Alex English
  • Score: 1

12:25pm Tue 15 Apr 14

Old Town Comment says...

Interesting line of argument that possibly misses the main argument.

Use of the word is fashion/power/knowle
dge/ignorance......e
tc.

I have a good friend who is Downs and yet I can't get too excited about the argument. I choose not to use the M word myself. And if he had said in front of my friend she would have asked him to desist.

The issue is the definitive statement about control over these people's lives. That is where Cllr Martin seems out of touch and out of sympathy with many constituents. So let us not be all PC....let's think about the people not the polemic.
Interesting line of argument that possibly misses the main argument. Use of the word is fashion/power/knowle dge/ignorance......e tc. I have a good friend who is Downs and yet I can't get too excited about the argument. I choose not to use the M word myself. And if he had said in front of my friend she would have asked him to desist. The issue is the definitive statement about control over these people's lives. That is where Cllr Martin seems out of touch and out of sympathy with many constituents. So let us not be all PC....let's think about the people not the polemic. Old Town Comment
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree