Smoke alarm helped limit damage, say Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service
6:42pm Tuesday 22nd April 2014 in Latest News
A pet rabbit was rescued from the ground floor of a property in Ogilvie Square, Calne, which was on fire in the early hours of today.
Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service were call to the house today at 3.50am after a neighbour was awoken by a smoke alarm operating in the property.
Appliances from Calne and Chippenham attended the scene, supported by colleagues from Wiltshire Police and South West Ambulance Service.
Crews quickly located the fire within a first-floor airing cupboard, and the roof space of the property was also damaged.
Crews wearing breathing apparatus using hosereels quickly brought the fire under control.
A fire and rescue service spokesman said: "Thankfully the occupants of the property were not in at the time of the fire, however, a pet rabbit was rescued from the ground floor of the property.
"Whilst no one was present in the property, the presence of working smoke alarms raised the alarm at an early stage and helped to ensure that the size of the fire and damage it caused was limited.
"Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to remind people of the need to fit smoke alarms and ensure that are in working order and tested regularly.
"In addition, a night time routine should be put in place to reduce the risk of fires occurring in homes, and an escape plan should be developed in case a fire does occur."
Comments are closed on this article.