SOUTHBROOK stormed their way through their two remaining league fixtures to win the Wiltshire League Premier Division title on Saturday.

Albert Dearing’s side overcame title rivals Supermarine Sports 6-1 on Tuesday evening and Trowbridge Town 7-3 on Saturday to wrap up the league in comprehensive fashion.

It was the victory over Marine that was key, that result put Southbrook in a position where only a double-digit defeat on Saturday would have cost them the title, a fate they emphatically avoided.

By winning their remaining two fixtures they ensured that they were unbeaten in the league during 2014, where they have trailed Supermarine by as many as seven points.

Southbrook’s healthy goal difference advantage over Marine meant that any win Tuesday’s game would end the South Marston club’s title hopes.

Dearing’s team took an early lead but were pegged back to 1-1. A handball on the line from a Marine defender helped turn the tide in Southbrook’s favour. The penalty was missed but the numerical advantage allowed Dearing’s team to get to 3-1 before half-time.

In the second half Marine were reduced to nine men as frustration told, with Southbrook eventually running out 6-1 winners.

A delighted Dearing thought the sending-offs were irrelevant and his team would have won against complete opposition regardless.

“I don’t think it would have mattered if they had 12 on, if they had 12 we would still have beat them, we took 10 minutes to settle down and then got into gear,” he told the Advertiser.

“It was almost like, we like peaked at the right time, we were quite a few games behind and we won after every game, the guys were really up for and showed they deserved to be where they are.

“It was a bit of an anti-climax Saturday because we could afford to get beat 11-0 and still win it. We did all the work on Tuesday night, it was a great advert for the league, two teams going at it right from the off.

“We had a little celebration on the field Tuesday after the other side had gone to be respectful but it didn’t go late some of us had to be at work on Wednesday.”

Saturday’s win was equally routine but, with some alterations made to the starting XI, Southrbook scored five in the second half as Trowbridge crumbled.

“It was exhibition stuff a little bit on Saturday,” Dearing added.

Southbrook now go in search in a double when they take on Corsham Town reserves in the Senior Cup final next Saturday.