AFTER recent postponements of both the Spring & Knockout Cup finals due to waterlogged pitches it will a case of third time lucky if first division runners-up Westbury United Reserves and second division winners Lacock get to play the final of the Briken Motors & AM Print & Copy-sponsored A&B Cup.

It is hoped that Saturday afternoon’s battle at Weymouth Street, home of Warminster Town will draw a bumper crowd as this is the first time for many years that the League have held a final in the afternoon.

Lacock, who go into the game not having lost in their 25 games to date, began their cup run with a 2-0 over first division Castle Combe.

Adrian Webb and Andy Wilkins scored the goals that set up a second-round tie at home second division stablemates Trowbridge Town Reserves and thanks to goals from Craig Gingell and Sam Hodsell they secured a 2-1 success.

After two tough matches things didn’t get any easier for Joe Martin’s side as their quarter-final opponents were first division champions Freshford United.

But although away from their Meriton Avenue fortress they came up trumps winning 3-1, Jake Marshall striking twice and Simon Gray once in the win.

Lacock’s semi-final opponents were the much-fancied White Horse FC, but like those before them Pete Ayton’s side were blown away by Martin’s side.

Goals from Craig Burge, Jake Marshall, Darrin Moss and substitute Simon Gray earning them a 4-1 win and a place in the final.

Westbury United Reserves had a trickier than expected route to the final, they started with a 5-2 victory at third division Holt, Ashley Easton, Eben Mortimer-Taylor, Gary Tugwell, Nick Taylor and substitute Elliott Hughes earned them a tie against top flight rivals Semington Magpies in round two.

Goals from Gary Tugwell and substitute Connor McKay put Westbury 2-0 up before Semington fought back to level at 2-2 and take the tie to extra time where Marc Lanfear’s penalty saw Westbury over the line and saw them triumph 3-2.

Westbury then hosted first division Heytesbury for a place in the last four and after racing to a 4-0 interval lead, they were stunned by a second-half fightback from their near neighbours who gave Jason Edwards side a huge fright before they eventually ran out 5-3 victors.

Joe Moloney twice, Ashley Easton, Jon Price and Gary Tugwell shared the goals.

With Warminster Town Reserves standing in Westbury’s way of a second final of the season, the green and whites had to be at their best at Meadow Lane.

For a while missed chances looked as if they would prove costly but in the end it took a second-half strike from Nick Taylor to earn Westbury a place at Weymouth Street.

The final that kicks off at 3pm has all the makings of being a classic.

Lacock, who won the second division title by a country mile and are in the hunt for a possible four trophies, will start as slight favourites, ahead of their next meeting in four days time when they meet at the Conigre on Tuesday evening in the Knockout Cup final.