Public will have say on new Marlborough rail link
Updated 7:23pm Thursday 8th May 2014 in By Anna Mauremootoo, Senior reporter for Marlborough and Pewsey
Assurances have been given that plans for a new rail link in Marlborough will go to public consultation before a final decision is made.
The £30 million plan, drafted by Transition Marlborough, to extend the London rail link to Marlborough, has been supported by MP Claire Perry who will discuss the proposal with Rail Minister Stephen Hammond.
At Marlborough’s annual parish meeting last week, the town council was asked to make sure that the initiative was backed by residents.
Marlborough resident Audrey Peck said: “I do ask the council to make sure, before they give their full approval, that they know how many Marlborough people are likely to use it, we can’t just rely on people from outside, holiday makers, to use it.”
In December Transition Marlborough asked the town council to support the possibly restoration of the railway line and councillors voted to back the scheme in principle.
Mayor Guy Loosmore said: “The railway project has a huge distance to travel if it is ever going to take place and if it does look likely the town council will be involved to insure that we keep the community posted.
“It will also involve taking a very serious poll in the community to see how much support there really is.”
The campaign to reinstate rail services in Marlborough has rumbled on for more than 30 years.
Passenger services to Marlborough were withdrawn in 1961.
Comments are closed on this article.