ELECTION 2014: Tories celebrate as Labour rue UKIP gains

This Is Wiltshire: LOCAL ELECTION: Tories celebrate as Labour rue UKIP gains LOCAL ELECTION: Tories celebrate as Labour rue UKIP gains

ONCE the full results of Thursday’s local election was in, it was the Conservative Party who were celebrating while the Labour Party were left wondering how to counter a new threat.

A plan to potentially take control of the council came undone with the emergence of UKIP, who took votes from all parties to come second in a number of wards.

In fact, the only significant changing of hands was in Covingham and Dorcan where the Conservatives took the Labour seat.

It was a result which increased the Tory majority in the council, giving them a total of 30 seats, compared with 23 Labour and four Liberal Democrats.

Council Leader David Renard (Con, Haydon Wick) said: “Overall it has been a good night for the party in Swindon.

“Not only have we increased our majority at council but with have also increased out votes in a number of wards.

“We are obviously a little disappointed to not to be able to take Old Town but it has been a strong performance.

“I think we ran a very good, positive campaign whereas Labour were very negative and I think that turned a lot of people off.

“Swindon is often used as a barometer for the rest of country and if you look around you can see the economy improving which has helped. What we shouldn’t do though is ignore the very strong campaign we ran locally.”

The night’s other winners were UKIP who, while not winning a seat, hugely increased their percentage of the vote, coming second or third in every ward.

Local group chairman John Short believes the results bode well the for the party’s future in Swindon and the European election, which will be called on Sunday.

He said: “While we are disappointed at not taking a seat, we are delighted at our performance. We are a young party and from here we can go from strength to strength.

“We are not here for the short term and will be working hard to get councillors on at the next local election.

“I also think it shows just how well we are going to in the Local elections.”
Despite increasing the popular vote in areas of the town, Labour admitted to having a disappointing night.

Group Leader Jim Grant (Lab, Rodbourne Cheney) said: “There is obviously a feeling of disappointment. Although we had some good results, especially in Old Town where we had a good candidate, we suffered at the hands of UKIP as did all parties.

“In our core seats the Conservatives have been pushed down into third. I think this is a worrying trend because it seems people are voting UKIP on national issues and not local ones.”

“We now need to look at our policies and whether we are getting our message across to the people of Swindon.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:27pm Fri 23 May 14

bettysenior says...

No matter who we vote for nothing ever changes. Indeed people are fooling themselves if they think any of our politicians can make a better life for us. It is just an impossibility for them as they are not really interested in the people but only themselves and the party. Indeed 'Partyocracy' rules supreme and once in office they basically do what the party wants and not the people. One has only to look at our illustrious politicians over the past 20-years and how they have feathered their own nests and not the people. One who stands out is Blair who through his highly secretive Blair Associates according to some media sources made £20 million in a single year. Indeed he is associated with all manner of governments no matter if they are good or bad. Therefore we are just mere pawns in the whole process and if anyone again thinks different, they are fools. Vested self-interest and what they can get out of the system is our politicians primary concern, not a better life for the people. Until people realise that democracy is partyocracy change will never come as we as pawns are just voting for the opposite things that we wish to see happen for our families, grand children and great grandchildren. Indeed in many ways our political class undermine any progress in living standards and where politicians in the main are in the main responsible for the vast financial crash (under Labour) and a poor economic growth after inflation is taken into account is negative (Conservative). All in all the politicians are responsible for the vast majority of debt that has been amassed and also the decline in living standards for 90% of the people. The other 10% and the politician's friends, have got richer. So who is the fool, the voters or the politicians. A question hard to answer in reality as it is an eternal circle. But one thing is for sure, the vast majority in the UK get poorer by the year and you might one day be one included eventually in these depressing national statistics - you have a 90% probability.

Democracy died a death when 'Partyocracy' and 'Corporatocracy' Corrupted the System and became the New way to Control People and run a Nation - http://worldinnovati
onfoundation.blogspo
t.co.uk/2014/04/demo
cracy-died-death-whe
n-partyocracy.html


Vast Corporate & Political Power in the West have Impoverished the People of the USA and the EU over the past 30-years – and unfortunately it will get far worse as things will not change for the better - http://worldinnovati
onfoundation.blogspo
t.co.uk/2014/03/vast
-corporate-political
-power-in-west.html


The ‘Establishment’ Makes Amends but where the ‘Establishment’ does not change its spots when it comes to its own - http://worldinnovati
onfoundation.blogspo
t.co.uk/2013/12/the-
establishment-makes-
amends-but_720.html


UK's Debt is far more than what people really think - http://worldinnovati
onfoundation.blogspo
t.co.uk/2013/12/uks-
debt-id-far-more-tha
n-what-people.html


The EU-USA Trade Agreement if our politicians vote it through will be a Disaster for the People of Europe & the People of the USA - http://worldinnovati
onfoundation.blogspo
t.co.uk/2013/12/the-
eu-usa-trade-agreeme
nt-if-our.html
No matter who we vote for nothing ever changes. Indeed people are fooling themselves if they think any of our politicians can make a better life for us. It is just an impossibility for them as they are not really interested in the people but only themselves and the party. Indeed 'Partyocracy' rules supreme and once in office they basically do what the party wants and not the people. One has only to look at our illustrious politicians over the past 20-years and how they have feathered their own nests and not the people. One who stands out is Blair who through his highly secretive Blair Associates according to some media sources made £20 million in a single year. Indeed he is associated with all manner of governments no matter if they are good or bad. Therefore we are just mere pawns in the whole process and if anyone again thinks different, they are fools. Vested self-interest and what they can get out of the system is our politicians primary concern, not a better life for the people. Until people realise that democracy is partyocracy change will never come as we as pawns are just voting for the opposite things that we wish to see happen for our families, grand children and great grandchildren. Indeed in many ways our political class undermine any progress in living standards and where politicians in the main are in the main responsible for the vast financial crash (under Labour) and a poor economic growth after inflation is taken into account is negative (Conservative). All in all the politicians are responsible for the vast majority of debt that has been amassed and also the decline in living standards for 90% of the people. The other 10% and the politician's friends, have got richer. So who is the fool, the voters or the politicians. A question hard to answer in reality as it is an eternal circle. But one thing is for sure, the vast majority in the UK get poorer by the year and you might one day be one included eventually in these depressing national statistics - you have a 90% probability. Democracy died a death when 'Partyocracy' and 'Corporatocracy' Corrupted the System and became the New way to Control People and run a Nation - http://worldinnovati onfoundation.blogspo t.co.uk/2014/04/demo cracy-died-death-whe n-partyocracy.html Vast Corporate & Political Power in the West have Impoverished the People of the USA and the EU over the past 30-years – and unfortunately it will get far worse as things will not change for the better - http://worldinnovati onfoundation.blogspo t.co.uk/2014/03/vast -corporate-political -power-in-west.html The ‘Establishment’ Makes Amends but where the ‘Establishment’ does not change its spots when it comes to its own - http://worldinnovati onfoundation.blogspo t.co.uk/2013/12/the- establishment-makes- amends-but_720.html UK's Debt is far more than what people really think - http://worldinnovati onfoundation.blogspo t.co.uk/2013/12/uks- debt-id-far-more-tha n-what-people.html The EU-USA Trade Agreement if our politicians vote it through will be a Disaster for the People of Europe & the People of the USA - http://worldinnovati onfoundation.blogspo t.co.uk/2013/12/the- eu-usa-trade-agreeme nt-if-our.html bettysenior
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree