Town given £300k to repair potholes

This Is Wiltshire: Potholes in Park South Potholes in Park South

THE Government yesterday said Swindon Council is to receive more than £300,000 in extra funding to deal with potholes.

In total, Swindon will get £317,360 which must go towards fixing holes in the road.

Council leaders have welcomed the cash boost, which they say is a useful addition to funds already set aside.

However, the Labour group has said it is not enough to fully deal with the problem and more needs to be done.

The issue of potholes is a regular gripe of drivers because of the damage it causes to cars, and regularly tops the political agenda in Swindon.

In the Budget, the Chancellor set aside a pot of £185m and asked local authorities to bid for cash. More than 140 applied so money was given to all of them.

A number of conditions have been attached to the money, including that councils must publish quarterly reports of progress in repairing the holes.

Council leader David Renard said: “Any assistance to deal with potholes is always welcome. At this stage we need to assess exactly how we can spend the money and then we will go forward from there.

“When we knock on doors one of the issues brought up most often is that of potholes so we know it is very important to people and it is a priority of this council.

“That is why when we had a surplus left over from last year’s budget we committed £350,000 to dealing with potholes. We understand the problem this can create for many drivers.”

The leader of the Swindon Labour Group said he wanted more to be done.

Coun Jim Grant (Lab, Rodbourne Cheney) said: “While all additional money available for pothole repairs is welcome, the £300,000 provided to Swindon Council is simply not enough to deal with the remaining potholes in the town. In fact it will barely make a dent on reducing the number of potholes in the town.

“The state of Swindon’s roads is one of the biggest challenges this council faces and is the biggest concern councillors hear on the doorstep. They can be dangerous and cost motorists from the damage they do to their cars.

“What we pledged during the recent local election campaign is to use £2m of New Homes Bonus money to resurface our town’s roads. That way we can not only repair the potholes but ensure our road surfaces are in such a condition that new potholes are less likely to arise.”

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:15am Sat 21 Jun 14

Russell Holland says...

Jim Grant wants to use new homes bonus money for potholes perhaps he needs to tell Labour at a national level because they are opposed to the new homes bonus see http://www.labour.or
g.uk/failure-of-the-
new-homes-bonus
Jim Grant wants to use new homes bonus money for potholes perhaps he needs to tell Labour at a national level because they are opposed to the new homes bonus see http://www.labour.or g.uk/failure-of-the- new-homes-bonus Russell Holland
  • Score: 9

8:34am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

Stick with the rubish removal russel, if I remember when you were allowed to operate the dump in rodbourne you didnt do a very good job.

Your contract certainly wasnt renewed.

Kettle calling the pot come to mind. Can you say BLACK these days:)

Councils have "no excuse" for failing to fill in dangerous potholes on Britain's roads, a minister has said.


Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, said that it is "rich" for local authorities to complain that government cuts are damaging Britain's roads.


Local authorities have warned that Britain is on the brink of a major pothole crisis because of the government's austerity drive and severe winters.


The Asphalt Industry Alliance, which represents companies who produce the materials needed for highway repair, has said it will take £10.5 billion to return Britain's roads to a good standard.


However Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, told The Telegraph: "They have a responsibility to ensure that the road is safe and operational.


Related Articles
Potholes getting bigger because of cheap repairs
28 Jan 2013
Councils rake in record profits from parking
09 Jan 2013
Britain facing pothole crisis
22 Nov 2012
The patriotic case for renationalising railways
12 Oct 2013
What to do if your car is damaged by a pothole
15 Nov 2013


"We have given them an increased budget line for roads maintenance, there is no excuse for not mending the roads.

"The local authorities are rich to talk about cuts. We provided £3.4 billion to local highway authorities from 2011 to 2015, specifically for highways maintenance.

"We have given them the tools to do the job. If they use the money wisely they can get ahead of the curve in dealing with potholes."

Last year local authorities fixed 2.2 million potholes, a fifth more than the year before. The Local Government Association has warned that another severe winter could prove to be a "tipping point" and force roads to close.

A recent study found that the number of motorists claiming for pothole damage has risen by 79 per cent in the past year.

Councils have paid out £2.5 million in compensation to drivers, settling 32,600 claims over the last financial year.

According to the research by Britannia Rescue there is now a pothole for nearly every mile or road.
Stick with the rubish removal russel, if I remember when you were allowed to operate the dump in rodbourne you didnt do a very good job. Your contract certainly wasnt renewed. Kettle calling the pot come to mind. Can you say BLACK these days:) Councils have "no excuse" for failing to fill in dangerous potholes on Britain's roads, a minister has said. Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, said that it is "rich" for local authorities to complain that government cuts are damaging Britain's roads. Local authorities have warned that Britain is on the brink of a major pothole crisis because of the government's austerity drive and severe winters. The Asphalt Industry Alliance, which represents companies who produce the materials needed for highway repair, has said it will take £10.5 billion to return Britain's roads to a good standard. However Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, told The Telegraph: "They have a responsibility to ensure that the road is safe and operational. Related Articles Potholes getting bigger because of cheap repairs 28 Jan 2013 Councils rake in record profits from parking 09 Jan 2013 Britain facing pothole crisis 22 Nov 2012 The patriotic case for renationalising railways 12 Oct 2013 What to do if your car is damaged by a pothole 15 Nov 2013 "We have given them an increased budget line for roads maintenance, there is no excuse for not mending the roads. "The local authorities are rich to talk about cuts. We provided £3.4 billion to local highway authorities from 2011 to 2015, specifically for highways maintenance. "We have given them the tools to do the job. If they use the money wisely they can get ahead of the curve in dealing with potholes." Last year local authorities fixed 2.2 million potholes, a fifth more than the year before. The Local Government Association has warned that another severe winter could prove to be a "tipping point" and force roads to close. A recent study found that the number of motorists claiming for pothole damage has risen by 79 per cent in the past year. Councils have paid out £2.5 million in compensation to drivers, settling 32,600 claims over the last financial year. According to the research by Britannia Rescue there is now a pothole for nearly every mile or road. anotherimigrant
  • Score: 3

8:47am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

In October 2013 all bus lanes were suspended in Liverpool. This suspension was based on evidence demonstrating that bus lanes cause congestion, as stated in the Mayoral Recommendation TCC/6, page 3, submitted on 27 September 2013:

"The ongoing monitoring of bus lanes both directly by Officers and via the City’s camera network, has established that a number of lanes are having a significant impact on traffic movement during the morning and evening peak periods, in some cases causing significant congestion"

Jawahier Sharif Ali
Liverpool City Council
13 January 2014
In October 2013 all bus lanes were suspended in Liverpool. This suspension was based on evidence demonstrating that bus lanes cause congestion, as stated in the Mayoral Recommendation TCC/6, page 3, submitted on 27 September 2013: "The ongoing monitoring of bus lanes both directly by Officers and via the City’s camera network, has established that a number of lanes are having a significant impact on traffic movement during the morning and evening peak periods, in some cases causing significant congestion" Jawahier Sharif Ali Liverpool City Council 13 January 2014 anotherimigrant
  • Score: 8

9:04am Sat 21 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Please stick to the issue of repairing potholes Councillor Russell Holland.

Instead of political backstabbing and electioneering, councillors would do well to use these columns to gauge public feelings.

I don't believe these columns were ever meant to be a political stage for people such as yourself

Likewise, your colleague (David Renard) commenting that "we need to assess how we will spend the money".......
It's there to spend on potholes.

Councillors should concentrate on making Swindon a better place.

Not politics and amateur "Dragon's Den" business ventures.
Please stick to the issue of repairing potholes Councillor Russell Holland. Instead of political backstabbing and electioneering, councillors would do well to use these columns to gauge public feelings. I don't believe these columns were ever meant to be a political stage for people such as yourself Likewise, your colleague (David Renard) commenting that "we need to assess how we will spend the money"....... It's there to spend on potholes. Councillors should concentrate on making Swindon a better place. Not politics and amateur "Dragon's Den" business ventures. Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -9

9:07am Sat 21 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Please stick to the issue of repairing potholes Councillor Russell Holland.

Instead of political backstabbing and electioneering, councillors would do well to use these columns to gauge public feelings.

I don't believe these columns were ever meant to be a political stage for people such as yourself

Likewise, your colleague (David Renard) commenting that "we need to assess how we will spend the money".......
It's there to spend on potholes.

Councillors should concentrate on making Swindon a better place.

Not politics and amateur "Dragon's Den" business ventures.

Repair the potholes, get off your rostrum, listen to the public, and make Swindon a better place.
👎-84
Please stick to the issue of repairing potholes Councillor Russell Holland. Instead of political backstabbing and electioneering, councillors would do well to use these columns to gauge public feelings. I don't believe these columns were ever meant to be a political stage for people such as yourself Likewise, your colleague (David Renard) commenting that "we need to assess how we will spend the money"....... It's there to spend on potholes. Councillors should concentrate on making Swindon a better place. Not politics and amateur "Dragon's Den" business ventures. Repair the potholes, get off your rostrum, listen to the public, and make Swindon a better place. 👎-84 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -9

9:13am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

Theres more councillors in here than in this is swindon.

But they certainly dont like being told the truth.

Liar renard and all his cronnies wont be getting council paydays after the next election.
Theres more councillors in here than in this is swindon. But they certainly dont like being told the truth. Liar renard and all his cronnies wont be getting council paydays after the next election. anotherimigrant
  • Score: -2

9:15am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

anotherimigrant wrote:
In October 2013 all bus lanes were suspended in Liverpool. This suspension was based on evidence demonstrating that bus lanes cause congestion, as stated in the Mayoral Recommendation TCC/6, page 3, submitted on 27 September 2013:

"The ongoing monitoring of bus lanes both directly by Officers and via the City’s camera network, has established that a number of lanes are having a significant impact on traffic movement during the morning and evening peak periods, in some cases causing significant congestion"

Jawahier Sharif Ali
Liverpool City Council
13 January 2014
Does this remind anyone of somewere they know.

NO because council staff dont arrive till AFTER THE RUSH.
[quote][p][bold]anotherimigrant[/bold] wrote: In October 2013 all bus lanes were suspended in Liverpool. This suspension was based on evidence demonstrating that bus lanes cause congestion, as stated in the Mayoral Recommendation TCC/6, page 3, submitted on 27 September 2013: "The ongoing monitoring of bus lanes both directly by Officers and via the City’s camera network, has established that a number of lanes are having a significant impact on traffic movement during the morning and evening peak periods, in some cases causing significant congestion" Jawahier Sharif Ali Liverpool City Council 13 January 2014[/p][/quote]Does this remind anyone of somewere they know. NO because council staff dont arrive till AFTER THE RUSH. anotherimigrant
  • Score: -2

9:36am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

Potholes? They're the sign of a strong economy, says transport minister because more people are using their car to get to work

You and I might think potholes are a bad thing – but the roads minister has claimed they are actually the sign of a booming economy.

Robert Goodwill said craters are being caused by the recovery, as more people get jobs and use their cars to get to work.

He also claimed that streets are suffering more wear and tear as consumer spending rises – causing an increase in the number of delivery drivers on the roads.

To secure cash from the Pothole Repair Fund, local authorities will have to publish monthly progress updates on how many they have fixed.

Some 148 councils applied for funding, and ministers said every single one will receive a share. All repair works will have to be completed by the end of March next year – two months before the next election.

And thats how these morrons think.

Get elected so we can be in charge were in control.

They are all control FREAKS.

But the next election will be an eye opener.
Potholes? They're the sign of a strong economy, says transport minister because more people are using their car to get to work You and I might think potholes are a bad thing – but the roads minister has claimed they are actually the sign of a booming economy. Robert Goodwill said craters are being caused by the recovery, as more people get jobs and use their cars to get to work. He also claimed that streets are suffering more wear and tear as consumer spending rises – causing an increase in the number of delivery drivers on the roads. To secure cash from the Pothole Repair Fund, local authorities will have to publish monthly progress updates on how many they have fixed. Some 148 councils applied for funding, and ministers said every single one will receive a share. All repair works will have to be completed by the end of March next year – two months before the next election. And thats how these morrons think. Get elected so we can be in charge were in control. They are all control FREAKS. But the next election will be an eye opener. anotherimigrant
  • Score: -1

9:38am Sat 21 Jun 14

Russell Holland says...

Everyone is entitled to express their opinions on this forum whether or not they are a Councillor.

The Government has given Swindon some money for pothole repairs which is good. Jim Grant is saying we should use more new homes bonus money. Labour nationally are threatening to take away the new homes bonus money. I think it is fair to point that out.
Everyone is entitled to express their opinions on this forum whether or not they are a Councillor. The Government has given Swindon some money for pothole repairs which is good. Jim Grant is saying we should use more new homes bonus money. Labour nationally are threatening to take away the new homes bonus money. I think it is fair to point that out. Russell Holland
  • Score: 11

10:08am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

Oh you mean this Jimmy Grant.

“This Council notes the offensive remarks published by a Labour Party candidate, the failure of that person to make an apology and the failure of the Leader of the Opposition to condemn his behaviour by refuting the statement.
This Council is of the view that such remarks are completely inappropriate and harmful to the democratic process. This Council calls upon the Labour Leader to condemn these remarks in public, to call upon his own candidate to withdraw the remarks and to issue a complete and unreserved apology to Council.”* Source Swindon Borough Council

Despite the support of almost all members of all non Labour parties present not a single Labour party member supported the motion. At this stage the incident had the full attention of the national Labour party and they immediately took corrective action ensuring that Geoff Reid was”…suspended on Monday after publishing the remarks earlier in the month….”


Full of integrity and doing for SWINDON whats best. Just like the CONservatives and the Bleeding Heart Pinochio politics of the
Liberalls

Polititians are ALL crooks and thieves , except you Russel, cause its all a big act for you .

Lifes just a stage and all the people are just actors.

GET REAL RUSSELL your just another control freak
Oh you mean this Jimmy Grant. “This Council notes the offensive remarks published by a Labour Party candidate, the failure of that person to make an apology and the failure of the Leader of the Opposition to condemn his behaviour by refuting the statement. This Council is of the view that such remarks are completely inappropriate and harmful to the democratic process. This Council calls upon the Labour Leader to condemn these remarks in public, to call upon his own candidate to withdraw the remarks and to issue a complete and unreserved apology to Council.”* Source Swindon Borough Council Despite the support of almost all members of all non Labour parties present not a single Labour party member supported the motion. At this stage the incident had the full attention of the national Labour party and they immediately took corrective action ensuring that Geoff Reid was”…suspended on Monday after publishing the remarks earlier in the month….” Full of integrity and doing for SWINDON whats best. Just like the CONservatives and the Bleeding Heart Pinochio politics of the Liberalls Polititians are ALL crooks and thieves , except you Russel, cause its all a big act for you . Lifes just a stage and all the people are just actors. GET REAL RUSSELL your just another control freak anotherimigrant
  • Score: -3

10:25am Sat 21 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Russell Holland wrote:
Everyone is entitled to express their opinions on this forum whether or not they are a Councillor.

The Government has given Swindon some money for pothole repairs which is good. Jim Grant is saying we should use more new homes bonus money. Labour nationally are threatening to take away the new homes bonus money. I think it is fair to point that out.
No councillor Holland.
It is rather childish attempting to turn local concerns into national political point scoring.

Swindon councillors should concentrate on what's best for Swindon.

As previously stated (and side-stepped), councillors could use these threads to gauge public opinion (instead of deviously trying to steer it)

The money is there to fix pot-holes. So get on with it, do the best job possible, and make Swindon a better place.
As opposed to pretending to be "performing" in Westminster 👎-52
[quote][p][bold]Russell Holland[/bold] wrote: Everyone is entitled to express their opinions on this forum whether or not they are a Councillor. The Government has given Swindon some money for pothole repairs which is good. Jim Grant is saying we should use more new homes bonus money. Labour nationally are threatening to take away the new homes bonus money. I think it is fair to point that out.[/p][/quote]No councillor Holland. It is rather childish attempting to turn local concerns into national political point scoring. Swindon councillors should concentrate on what's best for Swindon. As previously stated (and side-stepped), councillors could use these threads to gauge public opinion (instead of deviously trying to steer it) The money is there to fix pot-holes. So get on with it, do the best job possible, and make Swindon a better place. As opposed to pretending to be "performing" in Westminster 👎-52 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -10

10:33am Sat 21 Jun 14

Russell Holland says...

If you are of the opinion that keeping the new homes bonus is not in the best interests of Swindon I will have to agree to differ. If Labour were to remove it then it would be detrimental to Swindon.

I do read these threads to see what some people think but it is a relatively small number of people who post so while it is an indication of public opinion, it is only one part of the overall picture.

As a Councillor I am entitled to have and express an opinion the same as anyone else.
If you are of the opinion that keeping the new homes bonus is not in the best interests of Swindon I will have to agree to differ. If Labour were to remove it then it would be detrimental to Swindon. I do read these threads to see what some people think but it is a relatively small number of people who post so while it is an indication of public opinion, it is only one part of the overall picture. As a Councillor I am entitled to have and express an opinion the same as anyone else. Russell Holland
  • Score: 17

11:00am Sat 21 Jun 14

lolilovegolf says...

RIGHT, LET ME GET THIS RIGHT!!! THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO SPEND £300K!!!!!!!! ON POT HOLES, YET THEY HAVE JUST SOLD OFF ALL OF OUR GOLF AND LEISURE FACILITIES!!

GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT SWINDON BOROUGH COUNCIL!!!
RIGHT, LET ME GET THIS RIGHT!!! THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO SPEND £300K!!!!!!!! ON POT HOLES, YET THEY HAVE JUST SOLD OFF ALL OF OUR GOLF AND LEISURE FACILITIES!! GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT SWINDON BOROUGH COUNCIL!!! lolilovegolf
  • Score: 1

11:12am Sat 21 Jun 14

Sandor Clegane says...

£350k plus the additional £320k must be enough to sort out most of the worst pot holes in town. That 2/3 of a million quid ought to keep SCS going for a while!
£350k plus the additional £320k must be enough to sort out most of the worst pot holes in town. That 2/3 of a million quid ought to keep SCS going for a while! Sandor Clegane
  • Score: 7

11:13am Sat 21 Jun 14

GrumpyLocal says...

It is a bit odd for the council to be in need of extra money for pot hole repairs when they seem happy to waste it on projects like the the new square brick inserts being laid at Moonrakers at the moment. Absolutely to real benefit for anyone in doing this especially when everyone is suffering with potholes.
It is a bit odd for the council to be in need of extra money for pot hole repairs when they seem happy to waste it on projects like the the new square brick inserts being laid at Moonrakers at the moment. Absolutely to real benefit for anyone in doing this especially when everyone is suffering with potholes. GrumpyLocal
  • Score: 7

11:22am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

lolilovegolf wrote:
RIGHT, LET ME GET THIS RIGHT!!! THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO SPEND £300K!!!!!!!! ON POT HOLES, YET THEY HAVE JUST SOLD OFF ALL OF OUR GOLF AND LEISURE FACILITIES!!

GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT SWINDON BOROUGH COUNCIL!!!
NO your wrong.

THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO WASTE £300K!!!!!!!!! ON POTHOLES............


GIVEN TO THEM BY THE .Gov.

THEY ARENT GOING TO USE ANY OFF OUR MONEY, IT,S BEEN GIVEN TO THEM BY THE RIPPOFF .Gov.

THEY ARE LYING IF THEY SAY THEY ARE GOING TO SPEND ANY OF OUR MONEY ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN PENSIONS, DAYS OUT, HOTELS, FIRSTCLASS TRAVEL. THOSE SORTS OF THINGS.


AND YES THEY,V SOLD THE CROWN JEWELS AGAIN.

THEY THINK THAT BECAUSE THEY CANT RUN SOMETHING AND MAKE MILLIONS A YEAR IN PROFIT THAT THEY SHOULD SELL THE LEASE TO (THEIR MATES, FOR A KICK BACK) AND THAT THEY,LL BE ABLE TO MAKE A PROFIT.

HOW COME SOMEONELSE CAN BE SOLD SOMETHING TO RUN AND WE CANT EMPLOY PEOPLE OF THE RIGHT CARRANCTER TO DO THE SAME????????????????
?


ANSWERS ON A POST CARD, ANYONE, QUESTION TO DIFFICULT, SLAG ME OFF WHY DONT YOU, ANY COUNCILLORS LURKING IN THE BACKGROUND "DARE TO ANSWER".
[quote][p][bold]lolilovegolf[/bold] wrote: RIGHT, LET ME GET THIS RIGHT!!! THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO SPEND £300K!!!!!!!! ON POT HOLES, YET THEY HAVE JUST SOLD OFF ALL OF OUR GOLF AND LEISURE FACILITIES!! GET YOUR PRIORITIES RIGHT SWINDON BOROUGH COUNCIL!!![/p][/quote]NO your wrong. THE COUNCIL ARE GOING TO WASTE £300K!!!!!!!!! ON POTHOLES............ GIVEN TO THEM BY THE .Gov. THEY ARENT GOING TO USE ANY OFF OUR MONEY, IT,S BEEN GIVEN TO THEM BY THE RIPPOFF .Gov. THEY ARE LYING IF THEY SAY THEY ARE GOING TO SPEND ANY OF OUR MONEY ON ANYTHING OTHER THAN PENSIONS, DAYS OUT, HOTELS, FIRSTCLASS TRAVEL. THOSE SORTS OF THINGS. AND YES THEY,V SOLD THE CROWN JEWELS AGAIN. THEY THINK THAT BECAUSE THEY CANT RUN SOMETHING AND MAKE MILLIONS A YEAR IN PROFIT THAT THEY SHOULD SELL THE LEASE TO (THEIR MATES, FOR A KICK BACK) AND THAT THEY,LL BE ABLE TO MAKE A PROFIT. HOW COME SOMEONELSE CAN BE SOLD SOMETHING TO RUN AND WE CANT EMPLOY PEOPLE OF THE RIGHT CARRANCTER TO DO THE SAME???????????????? ? ANSWERS ON A POST CARD, ANYONE, QUESTION TO DIFFICULT, SLAG ME OFF WHY DONT YOU, ANY COUNCILLORS LURKING IN THE BACKGROUND "DARE TO ANSWER". anotherimigrant
  • Score: -3

11:31am Sat 21 Jun 14

Davey Gravey says...

Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen.
Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -4

11:31am Sat 21 Jun 14

anotherimigrant says...

Russell Holland wrote:
If you are of the opinion that keeping the new homes bonus is not in the best interests of Swindon I will have to agree to differ. If Labour were to remove it then it would be detrimental to Swindon.

I do read these threads to see what some people think but it is a relatively small number of people who post so while it is an indication of public opinion, it is only one part of the overall picture.

As a Councillor I am entitled to have and express an opinion the same as anyone else.
Russell you can say whatever you want my dear.

Pity you and your mate’s weren’t so vociferous when the crooked council and the Liar Renard debated whether the public should be allowed to speak at council meetings.

TWO FACED BARSTEWARDS COMES TO MIND!!!!Don’t know why, can you help me find a solution. You seem so clever and you know everything.
[quote][p][bold]Russell Holland[/bold] wrote: If you are of the opinion that keeping the new homes bonus is not in the best interests of Swindon I will have to agree to differ. If Labour were to remove it then it would be detrimental to Swindon. I do read these threads to see what some people think but it is a relatively small number of people who post so while it is an indication of public opinion, it is only one part of the overall picture. As a Councillor I am entitled to have and express an opinion the same as anyone else.[/p][/quote]Russell you can say whatever you want my dear. Pity you and your mate’s weren’t so vociferous when the crooked council and the Liar Renard debated whether the public should be allowed to speak at council meetings. TWO FACED BARSTEWARDS COMES TO MIND!!!!Don’t know why, can you help me find a solution. You seem so clever and you know everything. anotherimigrant
  • Score: -3

11:48am Sat 21 Jun 14

Davey Gravey says...

Give me a politician who says what they think whether I agree with them or not, rather than the party line towing morons we have ruining the country and our town.
Give me a politician who says what they think whether I agree with them or not, rather than the party line towing morons we have ruining the country and our town. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -3

1:01pm Sat 21 Jun 14

We're all doomed says...

Considering the amount of tax we pay to own and run a car in this country, we should have the best roads in the world. Just remember that money is not coming from the government, it's coming from our pockets.
Considering the amount of tax we pay to own and run a car in this country, we should have the best roads in the world. Just remember that money is not coming from the government, it's coming from our pockets. We're all doomed
  • Score: 10

6:52pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

So Councillor Holland,
You think it's better to play cheap cheesy politics to a "relatively small number of people", on these threads than it is to sort out the roads.

That is the very reason that only "a relatively small number of people bother to vote.

Because the majority of people are sick of political teams claiming that the other party are worse than theirs.
Shame on you.
Just fix the roads.
Some of the roads around Swindon are in a lethal condition 👎-3248
So Councillor Holland, You think it's better to play cheap cheesy politics to a "relatively small number of people", on these threads than it is to sort out the roads. That is the very reason that only "a relatively small number of people bother to vote. Because the majority of people are sick of political teams claiming that the other party are worse than theirs. Shame on you. Just fix the roads. Some of the roads around Swindon are in a lethal condition 👎-3248 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -7

10:18pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Russell Holland says...

I think the new homes bonus is an important issue which I will continue to highlight. It's not a question of party politics, it's a key issue in relation to how much money Swindon will receive - which in turn will impact on how much we can spend on roads.
I think the new homes bonus is an important issue which I will continue to highlight. It's not a question of party politics, it's a key issue in relation to how much money Swindon will receive - which in turn will impact on how much we can spend on roads. Russell Holland
  • Score: 8

10:34pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

Russell Holland wrote:
I think the new homes bonus is an important issue which I will continue to highlight. It's not a question of party politics, it's a key issue in relation to how much money Swindon will receive - which in turn will impact on how much we can spend on roads.
....
New homes = more traffic= more potholes.
Hardly rocket science is it.🚀
Councillors should quit the political pantomime and work for Swindon.
No more wasting money on dodgy business charades. Just get on with fixing the roads and emptying the bins👎-97
[quote][p][bold]Russell Holland[/bold] wrote: I think the new homes bonus is an important issue which I will continue to highlight. It's not a question of party politics, it's a key issue in relation to how much money Swindon will receive - which in turn will impact on how much we can spend on roads.[/p][/quote].... New homes = more traffic= more potholes. Hardly rocket science is it.🚀 Councillors should quit the political pantomime and work for Swindon. No more wasting money on dodgy business charades. Just get on with fixing the roads and emptying the bins👎-97 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -6

11:02pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Russell Holland says...

If new homes bonus is taken away then new homes =more traffic=more potholes and less money.
If new homes bonus is taken away then new homes =more traffic=more potholes and less money. Russell Holland
  • Score: 8

11:17pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
Give me a politician who says what they think whether I agree with them or not, rather than the party line towing morons we have ruining the country and our town.
The phrase hens teeth comes to mind.

If someone is given a grant or a loan for any reason and not once but numerous times waste it why are they given more funds?

In fairness to Rus at least he uses his real name.
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: Give me a politician who says what they think whether I agree with them or not, rather than the party line towing morons we have ruining the country and our town.[/p][/quote]The phrase hens teeth comes to mind. If someone is given a grant or a loan for any reason and not once but numerous times waste it why are they given more funds? In fairness to Rus at least he uses his real name. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -3

11:19pm Sat 21 Jun 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

anotherimigrant wrote:
Stick with the rubish removal russel, if I remember when you were allowed to operate the dump in rodbourne you didnt do a very good job.

Your contract certainly wasnt renewed.

Kettle calling the pot come to mind. Can you say BLACK these days:)

Councils have "no excuse" for failing to fill in dangerous potholes on Britain's roads, a minister has said.


Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, said that it is "rich" for local authorities to complain that government cuts are damaging Britain's roads.


Local authorities have warned that Britain is on the brink of a major pothole crisis because of the government's austerity drive and severe winters.


The Asphalt Industry Alliance, which represents companies who produce the materials needed for highway repair, has said it will take £10.5 billion to return Britain's roads to a good standard.


However Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, told The Telegraph: "They have a responsibility to ensure that the road is safe and operational.


Related Articles
Potholes getting bigger because of cheap repairs
28 Jan 2013
Councils rake in record profits from parking
09 Jan 2013
Britain facing pothole crisis
22 Nov 2012
The patriotic case for renationalising railways
12 Oct 2013
What to do if your car is damaged by a pothole
15 Nov 2013


"We have given them an increased budget line for roads maintenance, there is no excuse for not mending the roads.

"The local authorities are rich to talk about cuts. We provided £3.4 billion to local highway authorities from 2011 to 2015, specifically for highways maintenance.

"We have given them the tools to do the job. If they use the money wisely they can get ahead of the curve in dealing with potholes."

Last year local authorities fixed 2.2 million potholes, a fifth more than the year before. The Local Government Association has warned that another severe winter could prove to be a "tipping point" and force roads to close.

A recent study found that the number of motorists claiming for pothole damage has risen by 79 per cent in the past year.

Councils have paid out £2.5 million in compensation to drivers, settling 32,600 claims over the last financial year.

According to the research by Britannia Rescue there is now a pothole for nearly every mile or road.
Excellent points well made.
[quote][p][bold]anotherimigrant[/bold] wrote: Stick with the rubish removal russel, if I remember when you were allowed to operate the dump in rodbourne you didnt do a very good job. Your contract certainly wasnt renewed. Kettle calling the pot come to mind. Can you say BLACK these days:) Councils have "no excuse" for failing to fill in dangerous potholes on Britain's roads, a minister has said. Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, said that it is "rich" for local authorities to complain that government cuts are damaging Britain's roads. Local authorities have warned that Britain is on the brink of a major pothole crisis because of the government's austerity drive and severe winters. The Asphalt Industry Alliance, which represents companies who produce the materials needed for highway repair, has said it will take £10.5 billion to return Britain's roads to a good standard. However Robert Goodwill, the roads minister, told The Telegraph: "They have a responsibility to ensure that the road is safe and operational. Related Articles Potholes getting bigger because of cheap repairs 28 Jan 2013 Councils rake in record profits from parking 09 Jan 2013 Britain facing pothole crisis 22 Nov 2012 The patriotic case for renationalising railways 12 Oct 2013 What to do if your car is damaged by a pothole 15 Nov 2013 "We have given them an increased budget line for roads maintenance, there is no excuse for not mending the roads. "The local authorities are rich to talk about cuts. We provided £3.4 billion to local highway authorities from 2011 to 2015, specifically for highways maintenance. "We have given them the tools to do the job. If they use the money wisely they can get ahead of the curve in dealing with potholes." Last year local authorities fixed 2.2 million potholes, a fifth more than the year before. The Local Government Association has warned that another severe winter could prove to be a "tipping point" and force roads to close. A recent study found that the number of motorists claiming for pothole damage has risen by 79 per cent in the past year. Councils have paid out £2.5 million in compensation to drivers, settling 32,600 claims over the last financial year. According to the research by Britannia Rescue there is now a pothole for nearly every mile or road.[/p][/quote]Excellent points well made. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -3

6:52am Mon 23 Jun 14

We're all doomed says...

The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect? We're all doomed
  • Score: 3

8:21am Mon 23 Jun 14

scottwichall says...

We're all doomed wrote:
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
Because the motorist has been used as a cash cow revenue source for many years now.

If the money stolen (I mean taxed) from the motorist was actually spent on our transport infrastructure (and I include public transport in this), we would have the best system in the world.

Instead, we have poorly designed road networks that are crumbling to pieces and a shoddy, overpriced public transport system.
[quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?[/p][/quote]Because the motorist has been used as a cash cow revenue source for many years now. If the money stolen (I mean taxed) from the motorist was actually spent on our transport infrastructure (and I include public transport in this), we would have the best system in the world. Instead, we have poorly designed road networks that are crumbling to pieces and a shoddy, overpriced public transport system. scottwichall
  • Score: 4

8:22am Mon 23 Jun 14

scottwichall says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen.
I don't know why you got down voted for this post, as that is exactly what is required.
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen.[/p][/quote]I don't know why you got down voted for this post, as that is exactly what is required. scottwichall
  • Score: -2

1:14pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BCDR99 says...

We're all doomed wrote:
Considering the amount of tax we pay to own and run a car in this country, we should have the best roads in the world. Just remember that money is not coming from the government, it's coming from our pockets.
Tax raised from owning a running a car goes in to the central pot to be spent on the country as a whole. It is not for the roads any more than alcohol duty is there to ensure we have the best pubs in the world.
[quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: Considering the amount of tax we pay to own and run a car in this country, we should have the best roads in the world. Just remember that money is not coming from the government, it's coming from our pockets.[/p][/quote]Tax raised from owning a running a car goes in to the central pot to be spent on the country as a whole. It is not for the roads any more than alcohol duty is there to ensure we have the best pubs in the world. BCDR99
  • Score: 0

1:18pm Mon 23 Jun 14

BCDR99 says...

And 300k? That will barely pay for all the yellow spray paint that highlights these potholes for months will it?
And 300k? That will barely pay for all the yellow spray paint that highlights these potholes for months will it? BCDR99
  • Score: 3

1:34pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Ollie Dognacky says...

scottwichall wrote:
Davey Gravey wrote:
Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen.
I don't know why you got down voted for this post, as that is exactly what is required.
Happens all the time.
I down vote myself nowadays. Cuts our the middle-man 😄

.........👎-59
[quote][p][bold]scottwichall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: Roads need digging up and resurfacing, not the usual botch jobs of filling holes with poor quality tarmac that will inevitably happen.[/p][/quote]I don't know why you got down voted for this post, as that is exactly what is required.[/p][/quote]Happens all the time. I down vote myself nowadays. Cuts our the middle-man 😄 .........👎-59 Ollie Dognacky
  • Score: -3

2:49pm Mon 23 Jun 14

nobody says...

We're all doomed wrote:
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.
[quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?[/p][/quote]It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers. nobody
  • Score: -5

2:53pm Mon 23 Jun 14

scottwichall says...

nobody wrote:
We're all doomed wrote:
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.
They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years.
[quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?[/p][/quote]It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.[/p][/quote]They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years. scottwichall
  • Score: 6

5:29pm Mon 23 Jun 14

We're all doomed says...

Let's not forget that you've already paid income tax on your own money that you use to pay for your "fuel duty", "road fund licence", "new car tax" etc, etc, etc"
The government gets over £36,000,000,000 every single year from motorists. Maybe it's time to re-invest all that money into roads, public transport, cycle paths and pavements. Most people use cars because there is no realistic alternative.
Let's not forget that you've already paid income tax on your own money that you use to pay for your "fuel duty", "road fund licence", "new car tax" etc, etc, etc" The government gets over £36,000,000,000 every single year from motorists. Maybe it's time to re-invest all that money into roads, public transport, cycle paths and pavements. Most people use cars because there is no realistic alternative. We're all doomed
  • Score: 5

5:48pm Mon 23 Jun 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

We're all doomed wrote:
Let's not forget that you've already paid income tax on your own money that you use to pay for your "fuel duty", "road fund licence", "new car tax" etc, etc, etc"
The government gets over £36,000,000,000 every single year from motorists. Maybe it's time to re-invest all that money into roads, public transport, cycle paths and pavements. Most people use cars because there is no realistic alternative.
You mean no more ivory back scratcher?
[quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: Let's not forget that you've already paid income tax on your own money that you use to pay for your "fuel duty", "road fund licence", "new car tax" etc, etc, etc" The government gets over £36,000,000,000 every single year from motorists. Maybe it's time to re-invest all that money into roads, public transport, cycle paths and pavements. Most people use cars because there is no realistic alternative.[/p][/quote]You mean no more ivory back scratcher? Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: -3

9:46am Thu 26 Jun 14

nobody says...

scottwichall wrote:
nobody wrote:
We're all doomed wrote:
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.
They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years.
Typical motoring propaganda, there is more to the roads than just maintaining/building them. Same as more people die because of cars than just the ones killed in road accidents.
[quote][p][bold]scottwichall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?[/p][/quote]It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.[/p][/quote]They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years.[/p][/quote]Typical motoring propaganda, there is more to the roads than just maintaining/building them. Same as more people die because of cars than just the ones killed in road accidents. nobody
  • Score: -2

7:56pm Thu 26 Jun 14

We're all doomed says...

nobody wrote:
scottwichall wrote:
nobody wrote:
We're all doomed wrote:
The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?
It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.
They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years.
Typical motoring propaganda, there is more to the roads than just maintaining/building them. Same as more people die because of cars than just the ones killed in road accidents.
The figures aren't propaganda, they are from "The Institute of Fiscal studies". The point is that a fraction of money raised from motorists is re-invested back into our transport system. Whether you use a Rolls Royce, a bus, train or walk on our pavements they all fall under our transport network. Even the pavements are in a poor state. It's time for this or any government to invest serious money to bring these systems to state we can all be proud of. And yes, this will actually reduce the number accidents.
[quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scottwichall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]We're all doomed[/bold] wrote: The £10,500,000,000 required to get our roads into good condition is a mere 30% of the tax revenue raised by the government every year from motorists. Why aren't our roads perfect?[/p][/quote]It is a common misconception that motorists pay too much, in fact each motorist is subsidised by over £600 from all tax payers.[/p][/quote]They are only subsidized if you read some fantasy green position paper with made up figures which ignores the amount of money that has been raped from successive generations of motorists for at least the last 40 years.[/p][/quote]Typical motoring propaganda, there is more to the roads than just maintaining/building them. Same as more people die because of cars than just the ones killed in road accidents.[/p][/quote]The figures aren't propaganda, they are from "The Institute of Fiscal studies". The point is that a fraction of money raised from motorists is re-invested back into our transport system. Whether you use a Rolls Royce, a bus, train or walk on our pavements they all fall under our transport network. Even the pavements are in a poor state. It's time for this or any government to invest serious money to bring these systems to state we can all be proud of. And yes, this will actually reduce the number accidents. We're all doomed
  • Score: 3

9:37am Fri 27 Jun 14

BCDR99 says...

What actually needs to happen is a complete review of how people move around towns and cities. With the road network going to cost so much to repair, it may well be cheaper and better in the long run to almost start again.
What actually needs to happen is a complete review of how people move around towns and cities. With the road network going to cost so much to repair, it may well be cheaper and better in the long run to almost start again. BCDR99
  • Score: -1

11:01am Fri 27 Jun 14

Badgersgetabadname says...

BCDR99 wrote:
What actually needs to happen is a complete review of how people move around towns and cities. With the road network going to cost so much to repair, it may well be cheaper and better in the long run to almost start again.
100% Agree,
Good luck selling the idea though folk dont like change.
[quote][p][bold]BCDR99[/bold] wrote: What actually needs to happen is a complete review of how people move around towns and cities. With the road network going to cost so much to repair, it may well be cheaper and better in the long run to almost start again.[/p][/quote]100% Agree, Good luck selling the idea though folk dont like change. Badgersgetabadname
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree