Youth on police bail after park stabbing
5:00am Tuesday 29th July 2014 in By Dominic Gilbert
AN 18-year-old man from Swindon has been arrested in relation to the stabbing in the Town Gardens last week as police step up their hunt for two further suspects.
On Thursday at 12.55pm a 25-year-old man was assaulted in a knife attack in the busy park in Old Town, surrounded by parents and children who watched in shock.
Witnesses reported a fight between two men, with one brandishing a knife.
The victim sustained stab wounds to his leg and upper arm, and was headbutted in the face.
He was taken to Great Western Hospital for treatment and has since been released.
The other man involved in the incident ran away from the scene immediately after the incident and police began a search of the area.
Officers soon located the weapon used in the attack and took an 18-year-old man into custody the following day. He has now been released on police bail while investigations continue.
Police believe there were more than two parties involved in the fight and are still pursuing two people they would like to speak to in connection with the stabbing.
Extra patrols have been tasked to the area which will continue into this week.
Supt Andrew Carr said: “We have had one male arrested so far who has now been released on bail.
“We are continuing our searches to locate the other two suspects.
“The injured party is thankfully now out of hospital, and reassurance patrols have been in the area through the weekend. Because it is the summer holidays and the weather is good we plan to keep those patrols in place for a few days to come yet.
“We have had quite a few witnesses come forward with further information but we would still appeal for anyone who saw what happened that day to contact police immediately.
“Any information will be helpful to our enquiries.
“I would stress to the public that this was not a random attack so we have not had someone wandering around the park aimlessly with a knife.”
Detective Sergeant Phil Walker from Swindon CID said: “This was a violent incident which took place in a busy public park during the summer holidays.
“This is not a random attack and we believe that all parties involved are known to each other.
“Officers were on the scene within minutes of the incident being reported and the weapon used was quickly seized by officers.
“The investigation continues and we are pursuing several lines of enquiries.
“I would ask anyone with information on the assault to contact Wiltshire Police immediately.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact Wiltshire Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 where information can be left anonymously.