Buses only on Fleming Way
THE next stage of the Kimmerfield development was given the go-ahead this week when an application to close parts of Fleming Way to traffic was approved.
A major part of the redevelopment involves relocating the bus station along Fleming Way which will become one way and for buses only.
When it comes into effect it will mean the road will only be open to buses heading from Holbrook Way to the Whalebridge Roundabout.
The council applied to Swindon Magistrates Court on Monday for the closure and it was granted.
It now means talks can progress with the plans, with the ‘stopping up’ of Fleming Way expected to come into effect from January 2016.
Councillor Garry Perkins (Con, Haydon Wick), who is the lead member for economic regeneration, said: “We are obviously very pleased to have the decision. This is a big step forward and means we can move onto the next step.
“We are looking to conclude talks with IGNIS over the Greggs and Pasty shop and we will talk with the bus companies about re-locating the bus stops.
“A lot of things are going on behind the scene but they take weeks rather than months. Talks are going on between the developers Muse and possible customers to fill the space.
“I would say this is the start of the middle phase. Once actual work starts things will happen very quickly.”
When completed it is expected the £350 million Kimmerfield development will see new office space and shops which will expand the town centre.
The first stage of the plan was completed last year with the opening of the new 850 space car park and sheltered accommodation.
At Monday’s application, it emerged there were no formal objections to the road changes.
Coun Perkins said: “Over recent months we have done a lot of consultation with residents, businesses and ward councillors over the proposals.
“This will continue as we look to make people aware of the changes.”
However, some people in the area have warned that the scheme needs to be properly thought out before any work is carried out.
Coun Bob Wright (Lab, Central) said: “It is very important they do not go ahead until they have properly thought through what will happen with the traffic which is displaced.
“This will see more traffic moved into residential areas and away from roads designed to deal with large volumes of traffic.
“There are some positives but they need to make sure the plans are in everyone’s interest. We know the developers and the bus company will benefit but the local businesses and residents can’t be ignored.”
Comments are closed on this article.