SWINDON Town are looking to complete a season-long loan deal for Trowbridge’s Jordan Turnbull.

The 19-year-old defender was given permission by parent club Southampton to play in last night’s friendly against Leeds United.

Town boss Mark Cooper said he is pleased to have got the youngster on board.

“He has been up near the top of our list of targets from the start, so it was pleasing to get him and accustom him to the rest of players.

“That is what we are aiming for (season’s long loan) if we can get him and thank you very much to them for letting him play tonight.”

With Turnbull set to complete his switch from the Premier League club, Cooper says that has not stopped their pursuit of Jack Stephens.

As Saints are currently shedding their top players to Liverpool and Manchester United, Cooper admits that he may have to wait a little longer.

“If you look at what is going on at Southampton, that (Stephens’ arrival) will depend on what they bring in,” Cooper said.

“It is ongoing, I have said all along that we need four or five players, we have got one, got another today, but I still think that we need another three.”

Town once again showed their intention to play a passing style of football this season as they lost 2-1 to Leeds on Tuesday evening.

However, they must learn not to give the ball away in key areas. It was a worrying trend in the second half of their friendly contest with the Championship that proved costly.

Mark Cooper would have been pleased with the way that his side passed the ball around and youngsters Josh Lelan and Turnbull were on the whole comfortable with the ball at their feet.

It was Dave Hockaday’s Championship side that worked the first opening in the 13th minute when Michael Tonge broke free in the Town box and forced Wes Foderingham into action.

Then two minutes later Leeds were in front. Souleymane Doukara spun away from his marker and slid the ball across the Town six- yard box for Wales international Steve Morison to tuck home.

Neither side had really threatened up until that point and the goal gave the half a bit more intent.

Town did manage to draw level before the break after giving their visitors a couple of warnings.

A Yaser Kasim corner was flicked on by Raphael Branco and was only half cleared allowing Michael Smith to bury home.

Leeds re-took the lead early in the second-half when Nathan Thompson’s cross-field ball was cut out allowing Rudy Austin to take control and play in Doukara. Foderingham took out the Leeds’ forward leaving referee Simon Hooper no choice but to point to the spot, which Austin duly converted.

Town struggled to maintain their flow as the match petered out into the usual pre-season. Town fans on the whole will be happy with the opening 45 minutes, the second-half on the other hand needs some work before the campaign gets under way on August 9 against Scunthorpe United.