THE LIST: 10 things to do around Swindon this weekend (August 2&3 edition)
Updated 11:35am Friday 1st August 2014 in Latest News
STRUGGLING to find something to do this weekend? Need to keep the kids (or spouse) entertained? Welcome to the first of a new regular Friday feature listing 10 things to do in and around the town each weekend.
If you have an event scheduled on Saturday or Sunday that isn't listed add it in the comments section at the bottom of the article. If you know of an event scheduled for upcoming weekends that you want to see included in future lists email webteam@ swindonadvertiser.co.uk.
10 THINGS TO DO AROUND SWINDON THIS WEEKEND...
• Sky Ride – a 30 mile ladies only ride, starting and finishing at the Rat Trap pub in Stratton. The route will take riders through Stanton, Hannington, Kempsford, Fairford, Meysey Hampton, Down Ampney, Cricklade and Purton. Be at the start 10 minutes before the race, which begins at 9am on Saturday. To book a place, visit www.goskyride.com/
• The 40th annual Gloucestershire Steam and Vintage Extravaganza will return to South Cerney Airfield all weekend.
• Fishing to Remember, a special fishing competition from the Gig to Remember team, in aid of Alzheimer’s Research UK, at Horcott Angling Club, Fairford. Including BBQ. Tickets are £40, call Paul Davidson on 07505008751 or email Amanda@thegigtoremember.com. The event runs from Friday to Sunday.
- Weird and Wonderful, at the MECA, on Saturday, doors open at 6.30pm. The show, hosted by Emily’s Pole Fitness, is all about the weird and wonderful, with acts from pole dancing, aerial hoop, aerial pole, burlesque, belly dancing, solo artists and more.
- Swindon Farmers Market, at the Outlet Village, every Sunday, from 10am to 4pm, with around 20 stores to browse, including fresh bread and cakes, cheeses, free-range meats, cupcakes and more.
• Free Shop at Savernake Street Social Hall on Saturday from 12 noon to 2pm. The free shop is an opportunity to recycle and re-use. Bring and find books, toys, games, clothes and more.
• Swindon Rugby Club will host Picnic on the Pitch on Saturday from 2pm to 8pm. Bring your hamper for a fun packed day on the hallowed turf of Swindon RFC. There will be plenty of entertainment on offer including Boys vs Girls rounders, tug of war, Chase the Broom, pillow fight and more.
• Malmesbury Kite Festival, Saturday and Sunday, at The Worthys. This year, organisers hope to extend the event into Saturday evening with some entertainment and night flying. The event is free but there is a charge of £2 for car parking.
• New band Poplar Jake, pictured above, and The Electric Delta will launch at The Blue Boar in Aldbourne on Saturday at 9pm.
• A Solemn Commemoration, a vigil of words, music and reflection will be held at St Augustine’s Church in Summer Street on Sunday at 7pm to commemorate the centenary of the declaration of the First World War.
Comments are closed on this article.