Warning after e-cigarette sparks blaze
10:56am Thursday 7th August 2014 in Latest News
WILTSHIRE Fire & Rescue Service is warning people not to leave e-cigarettes on charge for long periods of time following a recent fire in Devizes.
Firefighters from Devizes and Melksham were called to a house in Awdry Road on Saturday after a neighbour reported seeing smoke.
Crews found there had been a small fire in the kitchen, caused by an electronic cigarette battery charger.
Group manager Kathy Collis, from the community safety department, said: “E-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and, with more people using the devices, we are seeing more and more incidents relating to them across the country.
“As such, we need to make sure that people know how to charge them safely.
“The family in this property were very lucky that the fire was reported and dealt with before the situation became a lot worse.
“We would urge people never to leave their e-cigarette on charge while they are away from the house or asleep, and to always read the safety advice enclosed in the packaging to reduce the risk of a fire.”
She added: “Our advice for e-cigarettes is the same as for many smaller electrical appliances, such as mobile phones and laptops – don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep, and keep them well away from flammable materials.”
For further home fire safety advice, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk/yoursafety.
Comments are closed on this article.