MATTY Bown’s goal was enough for Shrivenham to secure an important FA Cup victory away at Reading Town on Saturday, with manager Sam Collier insisting the £1,500 in prize money will prove vital for the club.

Shrivvy dominated the game in Berkshire from start to finish, and maybe should have won by more, but Bown’s goal before half-time proved enough to book a home tie against Shortwood in the preliminary round.

With no budget at Shrivenham this season, Collier believes the money they won will help in all areas of the club, with the club’s lawn mower in need of particular attention.

“It’s great for everyone at the club, all the players and everyone because £1,500 is massive for the club, really massive,” he said.

“There’s no budget at our club so boys get looked after in other ways, we’ve been given brand new training kit and new match kit and petrol money and things like that,” he said.

“It will go towards things like that I would imagine because there are so many people at this club who work incredibly hard. There are committee members going to games and people working to cut the pitch and look after the ground.

“There’s machinery too, our mower packed up on Friday so I’m sure a lot of the money will go there because a sum like £1,500 goes a very long way.

Collier and his team will be looking to add to their prize fund after being drawn at home to Shortwood in the next round, with the game potentially being played on Friday, August 29.

“To play some Southern League opposition is great for the club and one to enjoy, because nobody will give us a prayer,” he said.

“If we can play on a Friday night a few more might come through the door, and they made the first round of the cup last year so will fancy another run.”

While the financial reward of an FA Cup win is a big things for all at Shrivenham, Collier was pleased with his side’s performance at Reading although he did admit he would like to see his side start taking more of their chances.

“Not only the money but it’s good to win another game too against a team in our league so it proves how far we’ve come.

“Reading’s ground isn’t particularly welcoming and they’re a big, physical, team but we dominated from start to finish and maybe we should have scored more.

“We need to finish teams off because with five minutes to go they were having one of their attacks and we worried a little, but after last season where we were used to losing games we hope to win more than we lose now.

“We need to be turning these 1-0 wins into 2-0 and 3-0s now because if you don’t take your opportunities they can come back and haunt you.”

Highworth Town were made to work hard but eventually secured their third-straight victory with a 3-2 FA Cup extra preliminary round success over Western League side Bridport.

John Fisher’s side created enough chances to put the tie beyond doubt much earlier, but made things difficult for themselves by not converting them into goals, before Gareth Davies headed home a late winner.

TJ Bohane gave the visiting Highworth side the lead as he lashed home from close range after 22 minutes, before keeper Gary Stevens made a superb save to keep Fisher’s side’s lead intact.

However, with the Worthians in the driving seat, looking comfortable and the half-time break beckoning, a mistimed tackle on Adam Symes threw a lifeline to the hosts who duly equalised when Dan Wise converted the spot kick, sending Stevens the wrong way.

After 55 minutes, Highworth were back in front when the irrepressible Brad Clark used his box of tricks to create some space down the right flank. A short pass into Tony Joyce saw his clipped ball flicked on by Jon Davoile into the path of Matty Horsell who turned and shot past Sam Filkins.

The Worthians were now in the driving seat and Callum Parsons could have scored when Aaron Maximen flicked a header into his path but the Bridport stopper saved easily from a tight angle.

With a quarter of an hour left, the Worthians began to make mistakes giving Bridport some hope and, after Stevens did well to save a Shane Evans shot, Tom Richardson was on hand to fire home the rebound.

With the tie drawing to a close and a replay looking the most likely outcome, Bridport gave away a free kick on the left. Chris Jackson drifted a great ball to the far post which was well met by Bohane and Davies was the first to react to the loose ball, heading it across the six yard box and into the net for the winner.

Wootton Bassett Town got their FA Cup campaign off to a near-perfect start with an impressive 3-0 away victory at Brockenhurst.

Bassett played an intelligent, counter-attacking game where their hosts were afforded ample space to play the ball around at the back, yet any time they sought to probe forward beyond the halfway line a smothering pressing game snuffed out any threat. From there the visitors were able to create the chances needed to secure victory.

Despite their later dominance the visitors took the lead against the run of play, as the ball fell to the feet of Nathan Gambling 20 from goal. The forward took one touch before curling a beautiful effort into the top left corner.

After the break, Yeardley’s clipped through ball was chased down by Gambling in the right corner and, after holding play up to allow his teammate to rush into the box, he squared to Chatwin who thrashed a first time shot into the roof of the net.

The deserved third goal eventually came deep into injury time and arrived in some style following another devastating break.

Bailey this time chased down a ball sent into the right channel and, after fashioning space, squared to substitute Joe Hiscock. On the edge of the area, Hiscock turned his marker inside out and drilled a firm shot into the bottom left corner.

In Hellenic League Division One West action, New College lost 1-0 to North Leigh and Purton beat Tytherington 2-1 thanks to goals from Lee Toomey and Dave Slattery.