Robbery charge teen sent to youth court
A TEENAGER who is accused of trying to rob three people in what has come to be known as ‘mugger’s alley’ has had his case sent back to the youth court.
The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is said to have taken part in three attempted robberies in the early hours of June 22 alongside a second man.
But because the lad’s case had been sent to the crown court by justices in the adult magistrates court, and not youth court, it had to be sent back.
Rob Ross, defending, said although his client’s case was linked to an adult he could not appear alone unless before youth justices, who must assess whether the charges amount to a ‘grave crime.’ Judge Douglas Field, sitting at Swindon Crown Court, remitted the case to the youth court and released the lad, from Walcot, on conditional bail.