Poisonous flowers removed from Royal Wootton Bassett park

This Is Wiltshire: Mike McKee Mike McKee

Potentially poisonous flowers have been removed from Royal Wootton Bassett after being mistakenly planted by a group of Brownies.

Amateur photographer Mike McKee made the discovery after spotting the unusual looking red flowers last week in Jubilee Park.

His research showed they were corncockles, which were thought to have been eradicated from the UK but have been making a return in recent months.

Contact with the flower is potentially harmful.

Royal Wootton Bassett Town Council fenced the area off before cutting back the plants.

“I first noticed them last Thursday and there were around 15 to 20 there in a group,” said Mike.

“I had absolutely no idea what they were at first – I just saw them there and they looked a bit different.

“I looked in my flower book and it said these were scant and very rare, so I did a bit more research on them. When I Googled them I found out they could be deadly.

“A lot of people want to see wild flowers back again but they don’t realise exactly what is in a packet of mixed seeds. There are probably other places around here where they have been planted, and people will just walk past without noticing a thing. It only gets really nasty if you touch them.”

Mike said the plants were discovered after a Brownie group had planted some wild flowers in the area.

“The 2nd Royal Wootton Bassett Brownies planted them and thought they had done a good deed by sowing some wild flowers in the area, but they must have got these things in some of the packets,” he said.

“You can see where they have cut them back, and that is the whole reason they were fencing the area off, to cut the flowers off before they could seed.

"Hopefully they should not come back again, and they have done the right thing by cutting them back.”

All parts of the plant are poisonous but the flowers used to be a common feature of many wheat fields and was a staple of folk medicine.

Guy Barter, chief advisor at the Royal Horticultural Society, has confirmed that corncockles could be harmful.

He said: “They are poisonous and harmful – but as long as you wash your hands thoroughly you should be okay.”

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:51pm Tue 26 Aug 14

Shiftyb says...

Health and Safety gone mad, we must start getting risks into perspective. The real risk is much less than the perceived risk. Kids are more at risk of death and injury getting to the park, crossing the road and using the equipment or getting cat p00 on their hands. Many plants are toxic, Belladonna and many wild mushrooms. Really ! What is the likeliness 0.0000000000000001
Health and Safety gone mad, we must start getting risks into perspective. The real risk is much less than the perceived risk. Kids are more at risk of death and injury getting to the park, crossing the road and using the equipment or getting cat p00 on their hands. Many plants are toxic, Belladonna and many wild mushrooms. Really ! What is the likeliness 0.0000000000000001 Shiftyb
  • Score: 5

4:39pm Tue 26 Aug 14

whatisgoingon says...

Oh my god,I bought wild seeds this year and yes I had corn cockles and I dead headed them,still here alive and kicking.
Oh my god,I bought wild seeds this year and yes I had corn cockles and I dead headed them,still here alive and kicking. whatisgoingon
  • Score: 5
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree