Football: £2.5 Palace bid for Mings rejected by Ipswich
12:21pm Thursday 4th September 2014 in By Dan Barnes
Chippenham's Tyrone Mings was reportedly the subject of a multi-million pound bid from Premier League Crystal Palace on transfer deadline day.
The 21-year-old full-back made a sensational switch from Southern League Chippenham Town to Championship Ipswich Town in December 2012 and has since established himself a regular in the Tractor Boys’ back-line.
Mings’ rising stock led to Ipswich owner Marcus Evans rejecting a substantial offer from Palace, understood to be £2.5 million, with Portman Road boss Mick McCarthy now set to offer the defender a new contract.
“They were interested and I spoke to Neil Warnock (Palace manager),” McCarthy told the official Ipswich website.
“I told him what a good player he is and that I didn’t want to sell him.
“That did not deter Palace’s interest, it’s par for the course, and I am not sure what the bid was or where it got to, but I said all along I wasn’t interested in losing him.
“We had already discussed the certainty of giving him a new contract because he got in the team and has done so well. That will be the case and I want him for the long term.”