DAVE Webb has called on his Supermarine players to ‘have a look at themselves’ after the South Marston side suffered their first defeat of the season.

Marine lost 2-1 at Wimborne in Division One South & West, with first-half efforts from George Webb and Jamie Davidson sandwiching a terrific free-kick from Josh Parsons.

And although he was hamstrung by the absence of key players in attack and defence, Marine boss Webb refused to use that as the reason for defeat and instead said that those who did play did not show their true capability.

“It was disappointing really, we didn’t start the game well and they took advantage of the mistakes we made,” he said.

“In the second half we improved and had four good opportunities to score, but their keeper made a couple of great saves to keep it at 2-1.

“We’ve put in good performances this far but that was our poorest showing yet - we had too many players that didn’t perform on the day.

“There was probably only two or three players that could come away from it and say that they gave their manager and the club a seven or eight out of 10.

“Kent (Kauppinen) was absolutely superb in goal and if it wasn’t for him, then we could have been on the end of a heavy defeat.

“Josh Parsons scored a fantastic free-kick to get us level, but a lot of the lads have to have a look at themselves and think, ‘did I do enough?’.

“If you don’t have enough of those sevens or eights then you get beat at this level of football.”

With Parsons being Marine’s only fit, recognised striker and Tom Cole and Craig Curtis also absent, Webb recognises that enforced changes have not helped his side, and says it will ‘take time’ for him to get his best team out, and playing in a system they are comfortable with.

“The lads are still learning to play with each other, the team is new and it takes time,” he said.

“We can’t look too far ahead because we’re not at a stage where we’re settled and the team is playing exactly how we want it to play.

“We’ll fit into the shape we want to when we get all our players back, but we’re having to play in a way that doesn’t suit us at the moment.”

Wimborne started well at the Cuthbury on Saturday and Kauppinen was quickly forced into action as he kept out a free-kick from Micky Hubbard.

The visiting stopper then denied Jamie Davidson, but could do little about George Webb’s lobbed opener after 11 minutes.

Parsons smashed Marine level with a rocket of a free-kick - his sixth goal of the season - only for Wimborne to restore their lead after 29 minutes as Davidson crashed home from range.

Kauppinen pulled off saves from George Webb and Kemble before the break, and made another from the former after the interval.

Marine were at their most dangerous in the closing stages, with substitute Danny Hilder blazing over from 10 yards.

Home stopper Dan Ackerman also denied Parsons at the near post and Adam Costello cleared Rob Dean’s goal-bound effort.