Masterplan sets out future for our town

This Is Wiltshire: Council leader Rod Bluh, Forward Swindon chief executive Ian Piper and Coun Garry Perkins, cabinet member for regeneration and culture Council leader Rod Bluh, Forward Swindon chief executive Ian Piper and Coun Garry Perkins, cabinet member for regeneration and culture

THE long-term future of the town centre was mapped out in a fresh ‘masterplan’ as Forward Swindon relaunched plans stalled by the economic downturn.

The firm, charged by Swindon Council with regenerating the town, unveiled its view of the shape of things to come in around 10 to 15 years, with a wishlist that includes a new performing arts centre, art gallery and a two-way Commercial Road.

Working with town planners Allies and Morrison Urban Practitioners, the architects behind the much-lauded Olympic Park, Forward Swindon is also looking to improve pedestrian access across the railway line, link Old Town and the town centre with a ‘green spine’ cycle route and create a cafe culture.

It comes as pockets of development are already under way, including the rail station forecourt, the £350m Union Square complex and the Regent Circus overhaul, which has seen the former Swindon College building torn down.

Speaking at the launch event yesterday at the Central Library, Forward Swindon chief executive Ian Piper said: “This is a framework and a direction of travel for the town centre over the next 10 to 15 years and is the first step in getting the regeneration we all want to see.

“It is vital we have a clear masterplan in order to attract investment into the town and I think a plan like this needs to have a certain level of ambition. It’s about balancing between that level of ambition and what people believe can be delivered.

“I think externally the image of Swindon is not a great one and that is something we need to change because we need people to come here. I think this plan can do that.”

Council Leader Rod Bluh (Con, Old Town) welcomed the plans.

“This is about building confidence in Swindon the place. We don’t want to be another Oxford or Cheltenham or Bath – Swindon is Swindon and we want to keep that identity,” he said.

“We are talking hundreds of millions in terms of investment, 95 per cent of which will come from the private sector, and there are some big issues to be resolved.

“The public must understand these things take time and progress is already being made – there is already half-a-billion pounds of work going on as we speak, which is more than anywhere else outside the major metropolitan areas.

“It is also vital we have cross-party agreement on this and I’m pleased to say we have got it.”

Exhibitions for the public to inspect the masterplan will be held at Swindon Central Library, from today to October 5; at Swindon North Library, Orbital Retail Park from October 6 to 12; and West Swindon Library, the Link Centre from October 13 to 19. For more information visit swindonmasterplan.co.uk or email swindonmasterplan @am-up.com.

Comments (53)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:28am Tue 4 Sep 12

Nostim says...

Yet another masterplan from our super tory council. How long will this one last.
As for your comment that we dont want to be another Cheltenham, give me Cheltenham any day against this dump we are supposed to call Swindon town centre.
Yet another masterplan from our super tory council. How long will this one last. As for your comment that we dont want to be another Cheltenham, give me Cheltenham any day against this dump we are supposed to call Swindon town centre. Nostim

9:52am Tue 4 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

How much dud this little "gem" set us back?
How much dud this little "gem" set us back? 1 2 Could B

10:41am Tue 4 Sep 12

greenpacer says...

More unimaginative buildings in the plan no doubt .
More unimaginative buildings in the plan no doubt . greenpacer

10:43am Tue 4 Sep 12

Wellfire says...

It's not a plan, it's a 'wish list'. I heard Ian Piper on local radio last week talking about the station forecourt overrun. He was evasive and defensive and inspires no confidence whatsoever. As for Gary Perkins, doesn't he have a green space for the Commercial Road alkys to sort out? Whatever happened to that?
It's not a plan, it's a 'wish list'. I heard Ian Piper on local radio last week talking about the station forecourt overrun. He was evasive and defensive and inspires no confidence whatsoever. As for Gary Perkins, doesn't he have a green space for the Commercial Road alkys to sort out? Whatever happened to that? Wellfire

11:33am Tue 4 Sep 12

Street1234 says...

“We don’t want to be another Oxford or Cheltenham or Bath – Swindon is Swindon and we want to keep that identity,”

This is a funny comment.

So what is Swindon these days?

All we have in Swindon is discounted shops, chain pubs !!

Cheltenham has class, lovely wine bars, restaurants, good independent shops run by locals who are pleased to service you (with a smile) Green park areas to sit and eat your lunch or let the children run around (with no drunks).
All this is a walk away from the station.

If only Swindon was like Cheltenham or Bath I would shop in Swindon more but as it is at the moment you can forget it.

Forward Swindon could learn a lot from places like Cheltenham/Bath. these places know how to attract locals and shoppers from outside their town/city.
“We don’t want to be another Oxford or Cheltenham or Bath – Swindon is Swindon and we want to keep that identity,” This is a funny comment. So what is Swindon these days? All we have in Swindon is discounted shops, chain pubs !! Cheltenham has class, lovely wine bars, restaurants, good independent shops run by locals who are pleased to service you (with a smile) Green park areas to sit and eat your lunch or let the children run around (with no drunks). All this is a walk away from the station. If only Swindon was like Cheltenham or Bath I would shop in Swindon more but as it is at the moment you can forget it. Forward Swindon could learn a lot from places like Cheltenham/Bath. these places know how to attract locals and shoppers from outside their town/city. Street1234

12:58pm Tue 4 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

I'd prefer Swindon to restore its' own heritage and identity, but......

to suggest that the locals prefer how the town is heading, as opposed to established tourist towns such as Cheltenham and Bath, just proves how very out of touch SBC and Forward Whatever They're Called This Week are with the people of Swindon
I'd prefer Swindon to restore its' own heritage and identity, but...... to suggest that the locals prefer how the town is heading, as opposed to established tourist towns such as Cheltenham and Bath, just proves how very out of touch SBC and Forward Whatever They're Called This Week are with the people of Swindon 1 2 Could B

1:03pm Tue 4 Sep 12

MadMaximo1970 says...

It's great to see that we have something that looks like a plan to move Swindon forward once again. However I recall that the regeneration of the town centre was being talked about almost 10 years ago, so going by this masterplan it will have taken nearly 30 years to regenerate and that's way to long. I arrived in Swindon in '96 and the place was buzzing, yes I've seen chances along way but I have to say a lot of those changes are due to doing nothing. The council need to be looking at moving far quicker than 10 to 15 years, we need to see things happening in the next 2 to 5 years.

As has already been pointed out, the planners need to go and visit newly regenerated town centre and use some of the ideas around Swindon.
It's great to see that we have something that looks like a plan to move Swindon forward once again. However I recall that the regeneration of the town centre was being talked about almost 10 years ago, so going by this masterplan it will have taken nearly 30 years to regenerate and that's way to long. I arrived in Swindon in '96 and the place was buzzing, yes I've seen chances along way but I have to say a lot of those changes are due to doing nothing. The council need to be looking at moving far quicker than 10 to 15 years, we need to see things happening in the next 2 to 5 years. As has already been pointed out, the planners need to go and visit newly regenerated town centre and use some of the ideas around Swindon. MadMaximo1970

2:09pm Tue 4 Sep 12

house on the hill says...

""I'd prefer Swindon to restore its' own heritage and identity, but......""

maybe we should be looking at what will help Swindon to grow now and in the future rather than always looking back. The trouble is most of those "in charge" dont seem to have any vision all they do is recycle the same old out of date ideas that have left us so far behind other towns and cities.

There was an intersting article in the papers where the top 50 compainies in the country were asked if they would like any of the governement ministers in their business and it was a resounding no! Public sector officers and managers are now so far behind the real word and what is needed to succeed in this day and age thay are actually doing more harm than good.

As others have said, this is just yet another plan and no real action. Forward Swindon should be charged under the trades description act as there is nothning forward about them except for the amount of money we continue to throw at them for pretty much nothing. Dont hold your breath.
""I'd prefer Swindon to restore its' own heritage and identity, but......"" maybe we should be looking at what will help Swindon to grow now and in the future rather than always looking back. The trouble is most of those "in charge" dont seem to have any vision all they do is recycle the same old out of date ideas that have left us so far behind other towns and cities. There was an intersting article in the papers where the top 50 compainies in the country were asked if they would like any of the governement ministers in their business and it was a resounding no! Public sector officers and managers are now so far behind the real word and what is needed to succeed in this day and age thay are actually doing more harm than good. As others have said, this is just yet another plan and no real action. Forward Swindon should be charged under the trades description act as there is nothning forward about them except for the amount of money we continue to throw at them for pretty much nothing. Dont hold your breath. house on the hill

4:56pm Tue 4 Sep 12

adsinibiza says...

"Swindon is Swindon and we want to keep that identity"

Words fail me - no we don't want to keep Swindon as it is - it is awful !!!!!!
"Swindon is Swindon and we want to keep that identity" Words fail me - no we don't want to keep Swindon as it is - it is awful !!!!!! adsinibiza

4:58pm Tue 4 Sep 12

rmc001 says...

Do we want Swindon to be another Oxford, Cheltenham or Bath? The answer is NO!
Oxford - All the shops are crammed into the centre, hardly any out of town shopping to relieve the centre, crowded pavements, expensive parking etc.
Cheltenham - Town centre too far away from the railway station, shops too spread out, centre not pedestrianized, and there are some very dangerous drivers about!
Bath - Expensive shops, expensive buses, expensive attractions, expensive everything!

Something needs to be done to Swindon, but I for one would not like it to be the same as these other towns.
Do we want Swindon to be another Oxford, Cheltenham or Bath? The answer is NO! Oxford - All the shops are crammed into the centre, hardly any out of town shopping to relieve the centre, crowded pavements, expensive parking etc. Cheltenham - Town centre too far away from the railway station, shops too spread out, centre not pedestrianized, and there are some very dangerous drivers about! Bath - Expensive shops, expensive buses, expensive attractions, expensive everything! Something needs to be done to Swindon, but I for one would not like it to be the same as these other towns. rmc001

5:27pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Ringer says...

@rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon.

The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town.
@rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon. [p] The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town. Ringer

5:38pm Tue 4 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

I would hardly describe 2 miles as too far away from Cheltenham Spar Railway Station.

There are many parts of the country that have been rebuilding whilst our politicians have been talking about what's good for Swindon.

We've missed the boat, the monies has run out, the big bucks from the EU are all going to bail out the banks in Euro Zone countries.

Whatever we get in Swindon will be piecemeal at best. From a place to set up 20 years ago it's now a place companies are leaving.
I would hardly describe 2 miles as too far away from Cheltenham Spar Railway Station. There are many parts of the country that have been rebuilding whilst our politicians have been talking about what's good for Swindon. We've missed the boat, the monies has run out, the big bucks from the EU are all going to bail out the banks in Euro Zone countries. Whatever we get in Swindon will be piecemeal at best. From a place to set up 20 years ago it's now a place companies are leaving. RichardR1

6:02pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
@rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon.

The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town.
There's certainly not a lot of money spent in the council estates of either Oxford or Bath. The money in those cities is spent for the benefit of universities and tourists. Ask the residents of Blackbird Leys and Twerton what they think. Try parking in Bath or Oxford centres - it's a joke.
I'm puzzled as to why you live in Swindon if it's that bad!
Bob, two miles is too far from a station to a town centre and it's SPA, not Spar. I'm not sure you are going to find Portsmouth a haven of beauty and culture, there are some really rough areas in that city.
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: @rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon. [p] The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town.[/p][/quote]There's certainly not a lot of money spent in the council estates of either Oxford or Bath. The money in those cities is spent for the benefit of universities and tourists. Ask the residents of Blackbird Leys and Twerton what they think. Try parking in Bath or Oxford centres - it's a joke. I'm puzzled as to why you live in Swindon if it's that bad! Bob, two miles is too far from a station to a town centre and it's SPA, not Spar. I'm not sure you are going to find Portsmouth a haven of beauty and culture, there are some really rough areas in that city. Always Grumpy

6:28pm Tue 4 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Who's moving to Portsmouth?.

As for 2miles and Cheltenham Centre, walkable in 15 minutes, 5 minutes in a taxi.

I think you miss the point about parking, the towns you mention don't want people to park in the centre, hence the excellent park and ride in Oxford and the railway station again a short walk in Bath, and under a tenner return from Swindon.
Who's moving to Portsmouth?. As for 2miles and Cheltenham Centre, walkable in 15 minutes, 5 minutes in a taxi. I think you miss the point about parking, the towns you mention don't want people to park in the centre, hence the excellent park and ride in Oxford and the railway station again a short walk in Bath, and under a tenner return from Swindon. RichardR1

6:48pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Who's moving to Portsmouth?.

As for 2miles and Cheltenham Centre, walkable in 15 minutes, 5 minutes in a taxi.

I think you miss the point about parking, the towns you mention don't want people to park in the centre, hence the excellent park and ride in Oxford and the railway station again a short walk in Bath, and under a tenner return from Swindon.
You do not walk 2 miles in 15 minutes - that's called running to do it in that time.
Park and rides, handy stations - keep them if you're on a shopping trip and want to take shopping back to a car rather than lug it around all day.
RichardR1, we all know who you are, so why keep up the pretence?
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Who's moving to Portsmouth?. As for 2miles and Cheltenham Centre, walkable in 15 minutes, 5 minutes in a taxi. I think you miss the point about parking, the towns you mention don't want people to park in the centre, hence the excellent park and ride in Oxford and the railway station again a short walk in Bath, and under a tenner return from Swindon.[/p][/quote]You do not walk 2 miles in 15 minutes - that's called running to do it in that time. Park and rides, handy stations - keep them if you're on a shopping trip and want to take shopping back to a car rather than lug it around all day. RichardR1, we all know who you are, so why keep up the pretence? Always Grumpy

7:02pm Tue 4 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

I repeat as you didn't seem to understand the first time, I am certainly not moving to Portsmouth, whoever you think I am.

All I can say is you must walk very slowly.
I repeat as you didn't seem to understand the first time, I am certainly not moving to Portsmouth, whoever you think I am. All I can say is you must walk very slowly. RichardR1

8:14pm Tue 4 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

RichardR1 wrote:
I repeat as you didn't seem to understand the first time, I am certainly not moving to Portsmouth, whoever you think I am.

All I can say is you must walk very slowly.
No, I walk at a normal pace, which is about 3mph. To walk 2 miles in 15 minutes is 8mph. That is a running speed unless your real name is Usain Bolt and not Robfm. You haven't a clue, have you? You never were any good at figures and once again you have shown this to be true.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: I repeat as you didn't seem to understand the first time, I am certainly not moving to Portsmouth, whoever you think I am. All I can say is you must walk very slowly.[/p][/quote]No, I walk at a normal pace, which is about 3mph. To walk 2 miles in 15 minutes is 8mph. That is a running speed unless your real name is Usain Bolt and not Robfm. You haven't a clue, have you? You never were any good at figures and once again you have shown this to be true. Always Grumpy

9:36pm Tue 4 Sep 12

abbotboy says...

In this picture, you have two of the so called important men in Swindon, handling millions of contracts most days, and that could even be billions, and yet they cant even hold up a map the right way.... Who knows, we might even get wifi.........
In this picture, you have two of the so called important men in Swindon, handling millions of contracts most days, and that could even be billions, and yet they cant even hold up a map the right way.... Who knows, we might even get wifi......... abbotboy

9:39pm Tue 4 Sep 12

abbotboy says...

If they go to that new school in old town, where there are plenty of spare places, they'll show them how to hold it.......
If they go to that new school in old town, where there are plenty of spare places, they'll show them how to hold it....... abbotboy

9:57pm Tue 4 Sep 12

abbotboy says...

should have put on the end of the last blog, 'as the actress said to the bishop'.....
should have put on the end of the last blog, 'as the actress said to the bishop'..... abbotboy

11:56pm Tue 4 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

2 miles in 15 minutes is indeed exactly 8mph.

Very basic arithmetic.
Robfm looking pretty stupid again.

I wonder if the Portsmouth local rag are going to tolerate his insanity clogging up their readers comments sections
2 miles in 15 minutes is indeed exactly 8mph. Very basic arithmetic. Robfm looking pretty stupid again. I wonder if the Portsmouth local rag are going to tolerate his insanity clogging up their readers comments sections 1 2 Could B

7:39am Wed 5 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss.

I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast.

I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant.
Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss. I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast. I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant. RichardR1

8:12am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Ringer wrote: @rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon. The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town.
There's certainly not a lot of money spent in the council estates of either Oxford or Bath. The money in those cities is spent for the benefit of universities and tourists. Ask the residents of Blackbird Leys and Twerton what they think. Try parking in Bath or Oxford centres - it's a joke. I'm puzzled as to why you live in Swindon if it's that bad! Bob, two miles is too far from a station to a town centre and it's SPA, not Spar. I'm not sure you are going to find Portsmouth a haven of beauty and culture, there are some really rough areas in that city.
Of course there are poor areas in any town or city, that's the way our system works.

However, Bath, Oxford and (to a lesser degree) Cheltenham all have one thing that Swindon most definitely does not: tourists.

People only pay to visit places that are worth visiting, hence there is no tourism in Swindon.

Also, consider house prices outside of council estates in those three places - far higher than Swindon and with higher council tax charges... hence more money to spend on the upkeep and regeneration.

Try as you might to defend Swindon, it is locked into a wheel of having little money. With no money, there are no expensive houses. With no expensive houses there is little council tax revenue and nobody here with money to spend. Various councils have encouraged large employers to come here but those employers take on unskilled or semi-skilled workers on average wages.

The other places mentioned may well have council estates, but they also have a majority of fairly well placed areas and also numerous wealthy areas. Swindon, apart from maybe one or two VERY small pockets of housing, has no rich areas and even most of the once fairly pleasant areas now look run down and neglected.

Try and think of a high quality, luxury item shop in the town centre. There isn't one. It's telling that Swindon's House of Fraser was downgraded to an outlet store. Try thinking of a high quality, top rated restaurant in Swindon. There isn't one. The Weighbridge is the closest to that and it's not *really* that great, it's just leagues better than the other places in town (which kind of says it all).

Then consider the centerpiece, the largest occupant of the much vaunted Old College site regeneration... a Morrisons supermarket. Sigh.

I choose to live in Swindon for several reasons, one of them being due to its undoubted biggest asset: it's proximity to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham, Bristol etc.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: @rmc001: sadly, and regardless of your rather bizarre/quaint observations, all three of those towns and cities mentioned are in a different league over and above Swindon. [p] The main reason for that is because there's money there. Swindon is a cheap town, built on cheap housing, cheap labour and cheap shops/pubs and restaurants. Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town.[/p][/quote]There's certainly not a lot of money spent in the council estates of either Oxford or Bath. The money in those cities is spent for the benefit of universities and tourists. Ask the residents of Blackbird Leys and Twerton what they think. Try parking in Bath or Oxford centres - it's a joke. I'm puzzled as to why you live in Swindon if it's that bad! Bob, two miles is too far from a station to a town centre and it's SPA, not Spar. I'm not sure you are going to find Portsmouth a haven of beauty and culture, there are some really rough areas in that city.[/p][/quote]Of course there are poor areas in any town or city, that's the way our system works. [p] However, Bath, Oxford and (to a lesser degree) Cheltenham all have one thing that Swindon most definitely does not: tourists. [p] People only pay to visit places that are worth visiting, hence there is no tourism in Swindon. [p] Also, consider house prices outside of council estates in those three places - far higher than Swindon and with higher council tax charges... hence more money to spend on the upkeep and regeneration. [p] Try as you might to defend Swindon, it is locked into a wheel of having little money. With no money, there are no expensive houses. With no expensive houses there is little council tax revenue and nobody here with money to spend. Various councils have encouraged large employers to come here but those employers take on unskilled or semi-skilled workers on average wages. [p] The other places mentioned may well have council estates, but they also have a majority of fairly well placed areas and also numerous wealthy areas. Swindon, apart from maybe one or two VERY small pockets of housing, has no rich areas and even most of the once fairly pleasant areas now look run down and neglected. [p] Try and think of a high quality, luxury item shop in the town centre. There isn't one. It's telling that Swindon's House of Fraser was downgraded to an outlet store. Try thinking of a high quality, top rated restaurant in Swindon. There isn't one. The Weighbridge is the closest to that and it's not *really* that great, it's just leagues better than the other places in town (which kind of says it all). [p] Then consider the centerpiece, the largest occupant of the much vaunted Old College site regeneration... a Morrisons supermarket. Sigh. [p] I choose to live in Swindon for several reasons, one of them being due to its undoubted biggest asset: it's proximity to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham, Bristol etc. Ringer

8:53am Wed 5 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.
Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket. RichardR1

8:57am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

@Ringer says "People only pay to visit places that are worth visiting, hence there is no tourism in Swindon."
Bath and Oxford are somewhat older than Swindon and therefore have older places that attract tourists - Bath their Roman and Georgian heritage and Oxford their universities. It's very difficult to artificially create tourist areas these days. However, because of their attractions Bath and Oxford are two of the most socially divided cities in the country and to be quite honest you're welcome to them. Oxfords shopping is mediocre to say the least and Bath is full of expensive boutiques that only survive because of tourists.
As to restaurants if you are happy to pay for overpriced food in trendy city restaurants then that's up to you. Personally I'm not prepared to do that.
I also suspect one of the main attractions to living in Swindon is affordable housing that is just not available in other areas. By affordable, I mean 4 bedroom detached houses that would cost double in a lot of your favourite places.
How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop? Not very often I bet. No doubt you will do most of your shopping in the place you seem to hate so much - Swindon.
Swindon does have a lot to offer and you need to look beyond your antagonism towards my town to see it.
@Ringer says "People only pay to visit places that are worth visiting, hence there is no tourism in Swindon." Bath and Oxford are somewhat older than Swindon and therefore have older places that attract tourists - Bath their Roman and Georgian heritage and Oxford their universities. It's very difficult to artificially create tourist areas these days. However, because of their attractions Bath and Oxford are two of the most socially divided cities in the country and to be quite honest you're welcome to them. Oxfords shopping is mediocre to say the least and Bath is full of expensive boutiques that only survive because of tourists. As to restaurants if you are happy to pay for overpriced food in trendy city restaurants then that's up to you. Personally I'm not prepared to do that. I also suspect one of the main attractions to living in Swindon is affordable housing that is just not available in other areas. By affordable, I mean 4 bedroom detached houses that would cost double in a lot of your favourite places. How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop? Not very often I bet. No doubt you will do most of your shopping in the place you seem to hate so much - Swindon. Swindon does have a lot to offer and you need to look beyond your antagonism towards my town to see it. Always Grumpy

9:00am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.
We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.[/p][/quote]We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all... Ringer

9:01am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss.

I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast.

I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant.
Bob, why would I want to go to the Wroughton Pharmacy - wherever that is?
Pointing out the errors you have made, which you don't seem to want to accept (as usual) doesn't make me hot under the collar at all.
No matter how many times you walked to school and back, you would still not be able to walk at 8mph, which you laid claim to. Perhaps you ran and have since forgotten that you did.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss. I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast. I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant.[/p][/quote]Bob, why would I want to go to the Wroughton Pharmacy - wherever that is? Pointing out the errors you have made, which you don't seem to want to accept (as usual) doesn't make me hot under the collar at all. No matter how many times you walked to school and back, you would still not be able to walk at 8mph, which you laid claim to. Perhaps you ran and have since forgotten that you did. Always Grumpy

9:03am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
RichardR1 wrote:
Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.
We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...
Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham?
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.[/p][/quote]We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...[/p][/quote]Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham? Always Grumpy

9:05am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop?

I don't tend to do much shopping in the UK high street, it's generally poor quality, mid-priced tatt that everyone else is wearing/buying. Most of my shopping is done online or overseas.

However, I visit Oxford and Bristol fairly regularly, at least one or twice per month and Cheltenham probably one every three months (one of the best Indian restaurants in the country is based there).

Other than that, your comments basically highlight what's wrong with Swindon and the attitude of some people that live here. If you think Swindon's fine as it is, good luck to you.

By the way, I don't 'hate' 'your' town. I just see it for what it is and accept why it's the way it is. It's a pity you're unable to.
[quote][b]Always Grumpy wrote:[/b] How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop? [/quote] I don't tend to do much shopping in the UK high street, it's generally poor quality, mid-priced tatt that everyone else is wearing/buying. Most of my shopping is done online or overseas. [p] However, I visit Oxford and Bristol fairly regularly, at least one or twice per month and Cheltenham probably one every three months (one of the best Indian restaurants in the country is based there). [p] Other than that, your comments basically highlight what's wrong with Swindon and the attitude of some people that live here. If you think Swindon's fine as it is, good luck to you. [p] By the way, I don't 'hate' 'your' town. I just see it for what it is and accept why it's the way it is. It's a pity you're unable to. Ringer

9:10am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Ringer wrote:
RichardR1 wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.
We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...
Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham?
No, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with Swindon having c.7000 houses that don't pay ANY council tax.

Or, are you attempting to imply that Swindon is a wealthier town than Bath and Oxford?
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.[/p][/quote]We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...[/p][/quote]Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham?[/p][/quote]No, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with Swindon having c.7000 houses that don't pay ANY council tax. [p] Or, are you attempting to imply that Swindon is a wealthier town than Bath and Oxford? Ringer

9:15am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop?

I don't tend to do much shopping in the UK high street, it's generally poor quality, mid-priced tatt that everyone else is wearing/buying. Most of my shopping is done online or overseas.

However, I visit Oxford and Bristol fairly regularly, at least one or twice per month and Cheltenham probably one every three months (one of the best Indian restaurants in the country is based there).

Other than that, your comments basically highlight what's wrong with Swindon and the attitude of some people that live here. If you think Swindon's fine as it is, good luck to you.

By the way, I don't 'hate' 'your' town. I just see it for what it is and accept why it's the way it is. It's a pity you're unable to.
Your favourite places all have the same shops as Swindon, so presumably it's the same "poor quality, mid-priced tatt" as here.
What a pity you're not able to see that you are being ripped off. I suspect you may well be trying to 'live above your station'.
No doubt when you're enjoying the highlife in Bath, Oxford etc. you fail to mention you come from Swindon because of the social stigma you seem to think is attached to the place.
I must say I rather pity you for the attitude and large chip on your shoulder you have about Swindon.
I suggest you seek help in trying to overcome this or better still move away.
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][b]Always Grumpy wrote:[/b] How many times do you go to Bath, Oxford, Cheltenham and the like to shop? [/quote] I don't tend to do much shopping in the UK high street, it's generally poor quality, mid-priced tatt that everyone else is wearing/buying. Most of my shopping is done online or overseas. [p] However, I visit Oxford and Bristol fairly regularly, at least one or twice per month and Cheltenham probably one every three months (one of the best Indian restaurants in the country is based there). [p] Other than that, your comments basically highlight what's wrong with Swindon and the attitude of some people that live here. If you think Swindon's fine as it is, good luck to you. [p] By the way, I don't 'hate' 'your' town. I just see it for what it is and accept why it's the way it is. It's a pity you're unable to.[/p][/quote]Your favourite places all have the same shops as Swindon, so presumably it's the same "poor quality, mid-priced tatt" as here. What a pity you're not able to see that you are being ripped off. I suspect you may well be trying to 'live above your station'. No doubt when you're enjoying the highlife in Bath, Oxford etc. you fail to mention you come from Swindon because of the social stigma you seem to think is attached to the place. I must say I rather pity you for the attitude and large chip on your shoulder you have about Swindon. I suggest you seek help in trying to overcome this or better still move away. Always Grumpy

9:19am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Ringer wrote:
RichardR1 wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.
We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...
Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham?
No, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with Swindon having c.7000 houses that don't pay ANY council tax.

Or, are you attempting to imply that Swindon is a wealthier town than Bath and Oxford?
No, but you seem to believe only Swindon has the problem of people not paying their council tax.
I suggest you get out more and visit the seedier areas of the places you love so much. But then, it's clear you have your head stuck firmly in the sand and want to ignore everything other than problems with Swindon.
Rather naive aren't you?
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Good point about houses and council tax. Perhaps Russell Holland as lead on housing could tell us how many houses as a percentage of the total Swindon has in the luxury council tax bracket.[/p][/quote]We already know that c.7000 houses don't pay ANY council tax at all...[/p][/quote]Have you the comparable figures, as a percentage of the total housing, for Bath, Oxford or Cheltenham?[/p][/quote]No, but I'm not sure what that's got to do with Swindon having c.7000 houses that don't pay ANY council tax. [p] Or, are you attempting to imply that Swindon is a wealthier town than Bath and Oxford?[/p][/quote]No, but you seem to believe only Swindon has the problem of people not paying their council tax. I suggest you get out more and visit the seedier areas of the places you love so much. But then, it's clear you have your head stuck firmly in the sand and want to ignore everything other than problems with Swindon. Rather naive aren't you? Always Grumpy

9:56am Wed 5 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss.

I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast.

I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant.
Typical Robfm.
Still can't let go when proven fundamentally wrong.

As with all the nonsense when you accused me of illegal flying activity etc.

As an experienced competitive runner, former cross country champ, marathon, ultra-marathon, and "Tough Guy" contestant, I can assure you that 8mph is a perfectly respectable pace to RUN at.

But we can rely on Robfm to attempt to cover each of his incorrect statements with a new one or a complete lie.

Hilarious stuff
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Deary me don't people get hot under the collar for such minor things, perhaps a visit to the Wroughton Pharmacy wouldn't go amiss. I would hate anyone to have a heart attack walking to fast. I use to walk 3 miles to school and back every day, amazing how fit it makes you. Still I guess the closeted world of the car user has made their legs redundant.[/p][/quote]Typical Robfm. Still can't let go when proven fundamentally wrong. As with all the nonsense when you accused me of illegal flying activity etc. As an experienced competitive runner, former cross country champ, marathon, ultra-marathon, and "Tough Guy" contestant, I can assure you that 8mph is a perfectly respectable pace to RUN at. But we can rely on Robfm to attempt to cover each of his incorrect statements with a new one or a complete lie. Hilarious stuff 1 2 Could B

10:23am Wed 5 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

You claim hilarious stuff and attribute it to someone else, that is hilarious. So you now openly admit you are I Too, only Empty Car Park to go and we have a set.

Back to thread something you find incredibly difficult to stick to whatever you call yourself.

The thread is not about who does and doesn't pay council tax, it's about the reason the new plan will be as about as effective as the last couple.

Short answer, no, because no major developer will come to Swindon unless they are given everything for nothing, Muse for example.

They will make money of the back of the rate and tax payers and make a tidy profit.

Could I ask Mr Perkins if Muse are contractually obliged to carry out the next phase or even invest their own money in the development.
You claim hilarious stuff and attribute it to someone else, that is hilarious. So you now openly admit you are I Too, only Empty Car Park to go and we have a set. Back to thread something you find incredibly difficult to stick to whatever you call yourself. The thread is not about who does and doesn't pay council tax, it's about the reason the new plan will be as about as effective as the last couple. Short answer, no, because no major developer will come to Swindon unless they are given everything for nothing, Muse for example. They will make money of the back of the rate and tax payers and make a tidy profit. Could I ask Mr Perkins if Muse are contractually obliged to carry out the next phase or even invest their own money in the development. RichardR1

10:32am Wed 5 Sep 12

abbotboy says...

look at the debacle of Croft school and you will see why this town is going down the drain....
look at the debacle of Croft school and you will see why this town is going down the drain.... abbotboy

11:10am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

@Always Grumpy: you clearly didn't read the part where I stated that I don't really do much shopping in the UK high street. Still, don't let that get in your way of your little rant.

Why so touchy and defensive about Swindon? I haven't even attacked the town, I've merely just said I see it for what it is and accept that.

The fact that you're seriously trying to compare Swindon to Oxford and Bath shows that you're not overly friendly with reality.
@Always Grumpy: you clearly didn't read the part where I stated that I don't really do much shopping in the UK high street. Still, don't let that get in your way of your little rant. [p] Why so touchy and defensive about Swindon? I haven't even attacked the town, I've merely just said I see it for what it is and accept that. [p] The fact that you're seriously trying to compare Swindon to Oxford and Bath shows that you're not overly friendly with reality. Ringer

11:16am Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
@Always Grumpy: you clearly didn't read the part where I stated that I don't really do much shopping in the UK high street. Still, don't let that get in your way of your little rant.

Why so touchy and defensive about Swindon? I haven't even attacked the town, I've merely just said I see it for what it is and accept that.

The fact that you're seriously trying to compare Swindon to Oxford and Bath shows that you're not overly friendly with reality.
"Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town."

You don't think a statement like that isn't attacking the town?

As to comparing the town with other places, I'm merely pointing out their weaknesses. You don't seem to be over friendly with that particular reality yourself - do you?
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: @Always Grumpy: you clearly didn't read the part where I stated that I don't really do much shopping in the UK high street. Still, don't let that get in your way of your little rant. [p] Why so touchy and defensive about Swindon? I haven't even attacked the town, I've merely just said I see it for what it is and accept that. [p] The fact that you're seriously trying to compare Swindon to Oxford and Bath shows that you're not overly friendly with reality.[/p][/quote]"Nothing will improve in Swindon while it remains a second-rate, cheap town." You don't think a statement like that isn't attacking the town? As to comparing the town with other places, I'm merely pointing out their weaknesses. You don't seem to be over friendly with that particular reality yourself - do you? Always Grumpy

11:53am Wed 5 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Always Grumpy, let's put it this way, I've never seen Swindon on a coach tour agenda to the west/sw but Oxford and Bath always seem to be there, as does the Cotswolds, Wells, Salisbury to name a few.
Always Grumpy, let's put it this way, I've never seen Swindon on a coach tour agenda to the west/sw but Oxford and Bath always seem to be there, as does the Cotswolds, Wells, Salisbury to name a few. RichardR1

11:55am Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops.

I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation.

Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.
No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. [p] I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. [p] Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all. Ringer

12:11pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Always Grumpy, let's put it this way, I've never seen Swindon on a coach tour agenda to the west/sw but Oxford and Bath always seem to be there, as does the Cotswolds, Wells, Salisbury to name a few.
Because they are tourist areas.Show me where I said Swindon was a tourist area? No, thought not. As usual your inability to read and understand what has be written has gotten the better of you. That does not detract from Swindon being a good place to live. At least we can move around the place without tripping over your precious tourists. Having said that, The Designer Village is one of the South and Wests top attractions - how does that equate with your twisted logic?
When do you go to Portsmouth? Have you started posting on their sites as the local no-it-all yet?
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Always Grumpy, let's put it this way, I've never seen Swindon on a coach tour agenda to the west/sw but Oxford and Bath always seem to be there, as does the Cotswolds, Wells, Salisbury to name a few.[/p][/quote]Because they are tourist areas.Show me where I said Swindon was a tourist area? No, thought not. As usual your inability to read and understand what has be written has gotten the better of you. That does not detract from Swindon being a good place to live. At least we can move around the place without tripping over your precious tourists. Having said that, The Designer Village is one of the South and Wests top attractions - how does that equate with your twisted logic? When do you go to Portsmouth? Have you started posting on their sites as the local no-it-all yet? Always Grumpy

12:43pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops.

I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation.

Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.
You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops.
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. [p] I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. [p] Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops. Always Grumpy

12:57pm Wed 5 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

Amazing stuff by Robfm.
Have you also worked out that Itsamess3 is Itsamess1 ?

Pretending to be new to the site, whilst claiming to know the history of others is ridiculous.

Making your "back on topic" comment is another give-away.

There are loads more, but you still try to convince yourself that some may not realise RichardR1 and Robfm are the same person.

Pathetic
Amazing stuff by Robfm. Have you also worked out that Itsamess3 is Itsamess1 ? Pretending to be new to the site, whilst claiming to know the history of others is ridiculous. Making your "back on topic" comment is another give-away. There are loads more, but you still try to convince yourself that some may not realise RichardR1 and Robfm are the same person. Pathetic 1 2 Could B

1:03pm Wed 5 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Always Grumpy, such aggression, in case you didn't understand the two previous occasions I said this, I am not and never did or do intend moving to Portsmouth. Clear enough for you.

Swindon was once a thriving destination of choice for very many businesses but it hasn't kept pace. Like it or not Always Grumpy that is a reality.

The blame rests firmly with the LA, no one else. The money was in abundance 10 years ago when many major towns did their regeneration planning and delivery, Swindon didn't those leading the Council dithered and now we have missed the boat.

Not that long ago we had 0.2% unemployment, it was said of Swindon those who didn't have a job didn't want one. Now we have one of the highest rates of unemployment in the region that simply doesn't happen over night.
Always Grumpy, such aggression, in case you didn't understand the two previous occasions I said this, I am not and never did or do intend moving to Portsmouth. Clear enough for you. Swindon was once a thriving destination of choice for very many businesses but it hasn't kept pace. Like it or not Always Grumpy that is a reality. The blame rests firmly with the LA, no one else. The money was in abundance 10 years ago when many major towns did their regeneration planning and delivery, Swindon didn't those leading the Council dithered and now we have missed the boat. Not that long ago we had 0.2% unemployment, it was said of Swindon those who didn't have a job didn't want one. Now we have one of the highest rates of unemployment in the region that simply doesn't happen over night. RichardR1

1:09pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

RichardR1 says...
1:03pm Wed 5 Sep 12
Always Grumpy, such aggression, in case you didn't understand the two previous occasions I said this, I am not and never did or do intend moving to Portsmouth. Clear enough for you.

No!
The Adver clearly stated you were off to portsmouth.

The local authority have not been responsible for the significant number of firms that were in Swindon, but were taken over and production moved elsewhere. Nor were they responsible for the world financial crisis hitting production of goods.
They cannot be blamed for the railway works closing, Garrards closing, Vickers closing etc. etc. either.
RichardR1 says... 1:03pm Wed 5 Sep 12 Always Grumpy, such aggression, in case you didn't understand the two previous occasions I said this, I am not and never did or do intend moving to Portsmouth. Clear enough for you. No! The Adver clearly stated you were off to portsmouth. The local authority have not been responsible for the significant number of firms that were in Swindon, but were taken over and production moved elsewhere. Nor were they responsible for the world financial crisis hitting production of goods. They cannot be blamed for the railway works closing, Garrards closing, Vickers closing etc. etc. either. Always Grumpy

1:11pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Ringer says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
Ringer wrote: No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.
You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops.
That's true, many towns and cities feature the same types of pubs, fast food chains and shops. However, if you've ever been to Oxford and Bath you will have noticed far more independent shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs in those centres than we have here in Swindon.

Honestly, stop digging, you simply cannot pretend Swindon is in the same league as Bath and Oxford, because it plainly isn't. It's actually funny watching you attempt it though.
[quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. [p] I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. [p] Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops.[/p][/quote]That's true, many towns and cities feature the same types of pubs, fast food chains and shops. However, if you've ever been to Oxford and Bath you will have noticed far more independent shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs in those centres than we have here in Swindon. [p] Honestly, stop digging, you simply cannot pretend Swindon is in the same league as Bath and Oxford, because it plainly isn't. It's actually funny watching you attempt it though. Ringer

1:47pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
Ringer wrote: No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.
You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops.
That's true, many towns and cities feature the same types of pubs, fast food chains and shops. However, if you've ever been to Oxford and Bath you will have noticed far more independent shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs in those centres than we have here in Swindon.

Honestly, stop digging, you simply cannot pretend Swindon is in the same league as Bath and Oxford, because it plainly isn't. It's actually funny watching you attempt it though.
The shops, pubs etc only exist to pander to the tourists.
Stop focusing on just these central areas and look at the towns and cities as a whole. They are no-where near as glamorous as you try to make out. You obviously have no idea what they are really like and it's amusing to see just how naive you are. Take london for instance. Even you would accept that there are some pretty dodgy areas of London that sensible people would avoid like the plague, however they have some of the worlds top shopping locations, restaurants, hotels, museums etc.. By your twisted logic the place would be the centre of the universe based on just the good parts because you simply ignore the bad parts. The same could apply to Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and others.
Get out more and look beyond the glitter. The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth.
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Always Grumpy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: No, it isn't 'attacking' the town. Swindon is second-rate, you can't seriously consider it a first-rate UK town?, and it is also widely documented as being a cheap place to live and work. I also can't believe you'd seriously try and convince people the shopping centre is any good, or full of anything but cheap chain pubs, mobile phone shops and pound shops. [p] I really have no idea why you're so touchy about what is simply the reality of the situation. [p] Prentending that Swindon is somehow better than it actually is doesn't help anything, at all.[/p][/quote]You obviously haven't been to your 'favourite' towns for some time. They all have the same mobile phone shops, chain pubs (Weatherspoons in the centre of Cheltenham for instance), and believe it or not pound shops.[/p][/quote]That's true, many towns and cities feature the same types of pubs, fast food chains and shops. However, if you've ever been to Oxford and Bath you will have noticed far more independent shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs in those centres than we have here in Swindon. [p] Honestly, stop digging, you simply cannot pretend Swindon is in the same league as Bath and Oxford, because it plainly isn't. It's actually funny watching you attempt it though.[/p][/quote]The shops, pubs etc only exist to pander to the tourists. Stop focusing on just these central areas and look at the towns and cities as a whole. They are no-where near as glamorous as you try to make out. You obviously have no idea what they are really like and it's amusing to see just how naive you are. Take london for instance. Even you would accept that there are some pretty dodgy areas of London that sensible people would avoid like the plague, however they have some of the worlds top shopping locations, restaurants, hotels, museums etc.. By your twisted logic the place would be the centre of the universe based on just the good parts because you simply ignore the bad parts. The same could apply to Leeds, Birmingham, Manchester and others. Get out more and look beyond the glitter. The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth. Always Grumpy

2:28pm Wed 5 Sep 12

Davey Gravey says...

Robfm is so easily spotted. the blunders always give him away. (Cheltenham spar) LOL
Robfm is so easily spotted. the blunders always give him away. (Cheltenham spar) LOL Davey Gravey

2:41pm Wed 5 Sep 12

abbotboy says...

when that bus goes to Oxford for the tour, do they take you to the estate, where the police onlygo on real emgency times!!
st pauls in Bristol do yu go there often etc etc, the town is what it is, and to have like for like with other towns is not on,if you dont like it move away..
when that bus goes to Oxford for the tour, do they take you to the estate, where the police onlygo on real emgency times!! st pauls in Bristol do yu go there often etc etc, the town is what it is, and to have like for like with other towns is not on,if you dont like it move away.. abbotboy

10:37pm Wed 5 Sep 12

The Fibbing Bar Tender says...

Cheltenham Spar?

Ha ha.

Classic
Cheltenham Spar? Ha ha. Classic The Fibbing Bar Tender

2:05pm Thu 6 Sep 12

Myday says...

On the same day as Rod Blur et al were posing for this picture there was a talk by the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust about the new plans for Swindon which was about the canal's proposed route through Swindon via Fleet Street. There is no mention of this in the plans out for public consultation, these are supposed to be the plans outlined by SBC for the next 15 years and approved by SBC. It seems that money has been spent on a team of so called consultants to produce a booklet that is clearly not matching the plans being given to the Canal Trust which is they quote 'The Wilts & Berks Canal Trust is currently restoring over 60 miles of the canal. As part of the strategic plans the Trust & its Partners had proposed to bypass central Swindon. The map below shows the alternative to bring the canal back through the town as part of the regeneration project planned by the New Swindon Company'.

I presume the new Swindon company is 'Forward Swindon' or has SBC got 2 companies planning the town at council tax payers expense and not working from the same song sheet?
On the same day as Rod Blur et al were posing for this picture there was a talk by the Wilts & Berks Canal Trust about the new plans for Swindon which was about the canal's proposed route through Swindon via Fleet Street. There is no mention of this in the plans out for public consultation, these are supposed to be the plans outlined by SBC for the next 15 years and approved by SBC. It seems that money has been spent on a team of so called consultants to produce a booklet that is clearly not matching the plans being given to the Canal Trust which is they quote 'The Wilts & Berks Canal Trust is currently restoring over 60 miles of the canal. As part of the strategic plans the Trust & its Partners had proposed to bypass central Swindon. The map below shows the alternative to bring the canal back through the town as part of the regeneration project planned by the New Swindon Company'. I presume the new Swindon company is 'Forward Swindon' or has SBC got 2 companies planning the town at council tax payers expense and not working from the same song sheet? Myday

8:18am Fri 7 Sep 12

semitonic says...

Cheltenham Spar is where Robbo buys his Daily Mail and lottery ticket before buying a scotch egg in Somerfield.
Cheltenham Spar is where Robbo buys his Daily Mail and lottery ticket before buying a scotch egg in Somerfield. semitonic

3:49pm Fri 7 Sep 12

Ringer says...

Always Grumpy wrote:
The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth.

Not that I'm entirely sure what the above is supposed to even mean, but I dare say I've been to more towns and cities across the UK than you have.

In fact, I know I must have done, because you seem to believe Swindon to be a first rate UK town.

The truth is clearly something you're not overly familiar with. The fact that you can't even handle the reality being pointed out to you without resorting to claiming that I 'hate' Swindon kind of says it all, really.

Swindon's an OK town. It's average. It's widely known for being average. It is not, has never been and never will be, first rate. That doesn't mean I 'hate' it or should 'move then', it just means I'm aware of the reality about the place I live. It's a pity you can't accept reality.
[quote][b]Always Grumpy wrote:[/b] The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth. [/quote] Not that I'm entirely sure what the above is supposed to even mean, but I dare say I've been to more towns and cities across the UK than you have. [p] In fact, I know I must have done, because you seem to believe Swindon to be a first rate UK town. [p] The truth is clearly something you're not overly familiar with. The fact that you can't even handle the reality being pointed out to you without resorting to claiming that I 'hate' Swindon kind of says it all, really. [p] Swindon's an OK town. It's average. It's widely known for being average. It is not, has never been and never will be, first rate. That doesn't mean I 'hate' it or should 'move then', it just means I'm aware of the reality about the place I live. It's a pity you can't accept reality. Ringer

10:33pm Fri 7 Sep 12

Always Grumpy says...

Ringer wrote:
Always Grumpy wrote:
The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth.

Not that I'm entirely sure what the above is supposed to even mean, but I dare say I've been to more towns and cities across the UK than you have.

In fact, I know I must have done, because you seem to believe Swindon to be a first rate UK town.

The truth is clearly something you're not overly familiar with. The fact that you can't even handle the reality being pointed out to you without resorting to claiming that I 'hate' Swindon kind of says it all, really.

Swindon's an OK town. It's average. It's widely known for being average. It is not, has never been and never will be, first rate. That doesn't mean I 'hate' it or should 'move then', it just means I'm aware of the reality about the place I live. It's a pity you can't accept reality.
Don't you just hate it when someone disagrees with you? Your pomposity and arrogance on this site is legendary and you always resort to abuse when challenged.
As usual you make totally unsubstantiated and wildly inaccurate statements regarding other posters. You haven't got a clue as to who I am any more than I know who you are (thank goodness as your certainly not the sort of person I would want to associate with), so how on earth can you assume you've visited more towns and cities than I have - which is most unlikely.
You have clearly demonstrated your total ignorance of the places you wax lyrically about and have further demonstrated a lack of understanding of the complete makeup of these places.
I will leave you to wallow in your ignorance, which you have admirably demonstrated here.
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: [quote][b]Always Grumpy wrote:[/b] The truth is out there, or are you just afraid of the truth. [/quote] Not that I'm entirely sure what the above is supposed to even mean, but I dare say I've been to more towns and cities across the UK than you have. [p] In fact, I know I must have done, because you seem to believe Swindon to be a first rate UK town. [p] The truth is clearly something you're not overly familiar with. The fact that you can't even handle the reality being pointed out to you without resorting to claiming that I 'hate' Swindon kind of says it all, really. [p] Swindon's an OK town. It's average. It's widely known for being average. It is not, has never been and never will be, first rate. That doesn't mean I 'hate' it or should 'move then', it just means I'm aware of the reality about the place I live. It's a pity you can't accept reality.[/p][/quote]Don't you just hate it when someone disagrees with you? Your pomposity and arrogance on this site is legendary and you always resort to abuse when challenged. As usual you make totally unsubstantiated and wildly inaccurate statements regarding other posters. You haven't got a clue as to who I am any more than I know who you are (thank goodness as your certainly not the sort of person I would want to associate with), so how on earth can you assume you've visited more towns and cities than I have - which is most unlikely. You have clearly demonstrated your total ignorance of the places you wax lyrically about and have further demonstrated a lack of understanding of the complete makeup of these places. I will leave you to wallow in your ignorance, which you have admirably demonstrated here. Always Grumpy

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree