Wiltshire parents reminded of fire dangers
Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service is reminding parents to always make sure that matches and cigarette lighters are kept safely away from where children can get to them.
The warning follows a recent incident where a young child suffered serious burns after accidentally setting light to the cotton t-shirt he was wearing. It is believed that he was playing with a disposable lighter.
As a result of the injuries he received, the boy required extensive treatment in hospital.
Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain, from the community safety department, said: “This incident has highlighted the risk to children if they play with fire of any kind. We would urge parents to keep lighters and matches in a safe place at all times, and to explain to their children the dangers of fire.”
For further information on fire safety in the home or fire safety education programmes, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk