FIVE players were sent off as Supermarine won an incident-packed FA Trophy preliminary round replay with Yate last night.

The Webb’s Wood side, who finished the game with nine men, set up a clash with Chippenham after edging out their hosts 3-2 at Lodge Road.

Saturday’s game saw the teams play out a 0-0 bore-draw in Wiltshire, but last night’s encounter went in completely the opposite direction.

Marine full-back Danny Allen opened the scoring with a rare goal from a free kick midway through the first half.

The home side levelled before half time but after the break Scott Thomas received a second yellow and the visitors’ Dan Wallington was red-carded.

Midfielder Rob Dean restored the Marine lead, only for Yate to level for a second time.

Mitchell Page, Allen and Tom Warren were all dismissed before Dean won the game for Dave Webb’s men in the final minute, leaving the boss with mixed emotions afterwards.

“I’d say that of the five sendings off, probably three were justified,” he told the Advertiser.

“We’re now going to be losing two players for three games each because they were straight red cards, and in my view it’s absolutely ridiculous.

“The way the game was refereed was not sensible. For those two players to get three-game bans is disappointing.

“But I’m really pleased with the performance against a strong Yate side who are in a false position in the league. “We showed good quality and I’m pleased to get through to secured some much-needed revenue.”

Meanwhile, Dean Griffiths’ first goal for Chippenham was enough to give them a 1-0 win over Bashley and ease the pressure on boss Nathan Rudge.

The ex-Frome man struck a thunderbolt midway through the second half to give his side victory in the Southern Premier.

In the Hellenic Premier, Highworth were hammered 5-1 at Kidlington while Fairford cantered through their second qualifying round replay at Hook Norton.

Shannon Pocock and Callum Parsons made it 2-0 before half time and Merchant put the polish on victory after the break.