Range of nearly new goods up for grabs in Marlborough community clearout
Organisers of Marlbor-ough’s first community sale taking place throughout the town on Saturday say there should be sufficient goods on offer to set up a home and equip a garden.
More than 60 households have registered to take part in the sale from 2pm–4pm organised by Transition Marlborough and full details of where bargains can be found on the doorstep are recorded at www.transition marlborough.org.
Gina Cooke, one of the organisers, said there is promise of a huge range of goods.
The idea is to allow householders to have a clear-out but save items from going to the recycling centre by either selling unwanted goods at the doorstep, giving them away or using them to barter for other goods.
Transition Marlborough said this was a great chance for local families to prevent unwanted goods going to landfill and the idea is supported by Wiltshire Council which wants to encourage other areas to follow Marlborough’s lead.
Vicky Harris, senior waste project officer at Wiltshire Council, said: “We’re always backing innovative schemes to reduce waste sent to landfill and it’s great that community projects like this one are happening.”
Ms Harris said the community sale was a a practical project which Wiltshire was publicising on Wiltshire World Changers and other community networks.
Maps and a list of venues are available from the library and St Peter’s Church and were being handed out to shoppers on market day yesterday and again on Saturday.
Most streets in the town have homes taking part and some people in villages near the town – in Beckhampton, Ogbourne St George and Mildenhall – will also host sales.
Sales are being held in:
- Alma Place, Back Lane, Barn Street, Barrow Close, Baylie Acre, Beckhampton village.
- Cold Harbour Lane, Davies Close on Barton Park, Ducks Meadow, Elcot Lane, Elcot Orchard, Five Stiles Road.
- George Lane, Hawkins Meadow on College Fields, Herd Street, High Street, Hughes Close on Barton Park.
- Isbury Road, Laineys Close, Leaf Close off Blowhorn Street, London Road.
- Mildenhall village, Morris Road on Barton Park, Newby Acre, Ogbourne St George village.
- Priorsfield, Queensway, Rabley Wood View, Roger’s Meadow.
- Salisbury Road, South View Place off Blowhorn Street, St John’s Close, St Margaret's Garage London Road, St Martin's, Stone-bridge Close.
- The Green, The Parade, The Thorns, Upper Isbury Road.
Comments are closed on this article.