Melksham family support for right-to-die campaigner
7:00pm Saturday 29th September 2012 in Latest News
The family of Melksham locked-in syndrome campaigner Tony Nicklinson has said he would have been completely behind a second man’s legal case to be allowed to die.
Mr Nicklinson died last month, days after his assisted dying campaign had been turned down by the High Court, where judges also dismissed another man’s legal fight to end his life. Refusing both men a judicial review, judges agreed the current law did not breach their human rights and it was for Parliament, not the courts, to decide whether it should be changed.
Mr Nicklinson, who was 58 when he died after contracting pneumonia in the days following the landmark ruling, had been paralysed following a catastrophic stroke in 2005.
His family said they would back the other man, identified only as ‘Martin’, who is fighting for assistance to end his life, having also suffered a massive stroke four years ago.
Despite similarities in the cases, the two families have never spoken.
Mr Nicklinson’s elder daughter, Lauren, said: “There were some differences between my dad’s case and Martin’s, but they were fighting for similar causes.
“I know my dad would have been completely behind Martin and his family and we are too. We would be pleased to offer our support to the case.”
Comments are closed on this article.