I feared I’d die, said Calne walker

This Is Wiltshire: Karen Herbert is recovering at home with Tia and Taz Karen Herbert is recovering at home with Tia and Taz

Nurse Karen Herbert is warning walkers after she was trampled by an angry cow while out for a stroll with her dogs.

The 57-year-old was already recovering from two broken wrists after a riding accident.

Ms Herbert, of Bryans Close Road, Calne, was walking her dogs Tia and Taz near Cherhill White Horse when the cow charged. She was left with extensive bruising, fractured ribs and a fractured shoulder blade.

She said: “One of the dogs hadn’t come through the gate so I turned to shout for her.

“I turned round again and I saw this cow charging at me. I was on the ground and I didn’t even have a chance to turn around.

“I thought I was going to die up there, it was stamping up and down and you could hear the bones going.

“When I stood up I fell back over. I thought I was paralysed, but I managed to get out of the way. I thought if I didn’t I would be crushed.”

It was the first time she had taken the dogs out since falling off a horse two weeks ago.

She often takes her dogs, a rottweiler and rottweiler German shepherd cross, for a walk on the Cherhill Downs, which is National Trust property.

Ms Herbert, a nurse practitioner with the NHS out of hours service in Chipp-enham and Trowbridge, had both dogs off the lead as she approached the white horse from Calstone and tried to cross a field of cows using a public footpath. She had her back to the animals when a cow began to charge at her.

The cows, which had been herded into the field for TB testing, are owned by farmer Andy Brown, who had padlocked the gates. Because of this he was the only person with access.

Ms Herbert had his number and was able to ring him before she rang her family.

She said: “If I see any problems with the cattle I always ring him. I rang him because I knew he would be able to get onto the downs.”

Mr Brown took Ms Herbert and the dogs to nearby Manor Farm, where her family, including daughter Charlotte Daniels, were waiting.

Ms Herbert said: “It always seems like forever when you are waiting for help but it was probably about 20 minutes. My family came up and rang 999. Five or ten minutes later I was in safe hands. When you get that kind of chest injury it could be serious, but at least I’m recovering.”

Miss Daniels said: “It would have crushed and killed a child or someone who was elderly.”

Now Ms Herbert, who was released from hospital on Monday, hopes to warn people visiting the white horse who may try to enter the field.

She said: “It was such a traumatic experience. I was walking out of the way to avoid the cows. When you have a public footpath people have to be warned. There’s a lot of them in a small area.

“You get young families walking up there and because it’s such a nice place to walk you don’t expect to be attacked.”

Allan King, from the National Trust, said: “We sympathise with the injuries Mrs Herbert has received in this incident. Because of the rights of way crossing land, we have signs warning of the presence of livestock and will review them to make sure they are suitable.

“The animal involved has been monitored since the incident and is not showing any behaviour which would cause concern.

“While we recognise that it will be of no comfort to the lady who was injured as she recovers from her very unpleasant experience, thankfully such incidents involving walkers are quite rare.”

Mr Brown would not comment on the incident.

Comments (16)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:34pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Grumpy of Calne. says...

People should always keep dogs on leads when in fields with livestock. Cattle often feel threatened by dogs running free!
People should always keep dogs on leads when in fields with livestock. Cattle often feel threatened by dogs running free! Grumpy of Calne.

2:10pm Thu 4 Oct 12

AndrewM says...

Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat.
Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat. AndrewM

3:59pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Grumpy of Calne. says...

AndrewM wrote:
Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat.
We're there any calves in the field, a cow with charge if you get between mother and baby. Livestock can be unpredictable, yet Aberdeen Angus are normally quiet.
[quote][p][bold]AndrewM[/bold] wrote: Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat.[/p][/quote]We're there any calves in the field, a cow with charge if you get between mother and baby. Livestock can be unpredictable, yet Aberdeen Angus are normally quiet. Grumpy of Calne.

7:54pm Thu 4 Oct 12

tony montana says...

Grumpy of Calne. wrote:
AndrewM wrote:
Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat.
We're there any calves in the field, a cow with charge if you get between mother and baby. Livestock can be unpredictable, yet Aberdeen Angus are normally quiet.
Andrew, one thing you need to know about "Grumpy of Calne" is that he knows everything about everything, although i have to say that i do agree with him about the Aberdeen Angus, i never hear a peep out of them especialy when they are medium-rare
:)
[quote][p][bold]Grumpy of Calne.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]AndrewM[/bold] wrote: Grumpy, I disagree entirely! The Ramblers' Association's advice is to keep calm and walk quietly through fields with cattle, and to release dogs when there is any threat - they won't do the cattle any harm and will run away so the owners are no longer associated with the threat.[/p][/quote]We're there any calves in the field, a cow with charge if you get between mother and baby. Livestock can be unpredictable, yet Aberdeen Angus are normally quiet.[/p][/quote]Andrew, one thing you need to know about "Grumpy of Calne" is that he knows everything about everything, although i have to say that i do agree with him about the Aberdeen Angus, i never hear a peep out of them especialy when they are medium-rare :) tony montana

9:32pm Thu 4 Oct 12

Shiftyb says...

I was charged by a whole herd of cows as I was cycling on a path next to a field, we could hear a noise like thunder and they crashed through the hedge charging us. Scared the **** out of us ! But they were just nosy. I wouldn't take a dog through a field of cows, that's dangerous.
I was charged by a whole herd of cows as I was cycling on a path next to a field, we could hear a noise like thunder and they crashed through the hedge charging us. Scared the **** out of us ! But they were just nosy. I wouldn't take a dog through a field of cows, that's dangerous. Shiftyb

1:05pm Fri 5 Oct 12

pax says...

The field was full of cows, the gate was PADLOCKED . . . Mrs herbert took two massive dogs into this field whose gate was PADLOCKED ... I think maybe Mrs Herbert was a silly Herbert. You need common sense when you are in the counrtyside. . .
The field was full of cows, the gate was PADLOCKED . . . Mrs herbert took two massive dogs into this field whose gate was PADLOCKED ... I think maybe Mrs Herbert was a silly Herbert. You need common sense when you are in the counrtyside. . . pax

5:02pm Sat 6 Oct 12

Mrs2207 says...

The cow didn't take the blindest bit of notice to the dogs, it wasn't the dogs that the cow was after it charged my mum for no reason not the dog as they weren't even walking with her when it happened that cow obviously has a screw loose and shouldn't be allowed to still be roaming the land up there...if it had been a dog that hurt someone it would have been put to sleep. My mum has walked around those downs for years and those cows are left to go cereal as that particular farmer doesn't seem to be governed by the same rules as the others he doss the bare minimum! The national trust are in the wrong for allowing a field with a public footpath running through to be padlocked. Calling my mum a 'silly Herbert' she is a very well educated woman with a lot of knowledge regarding all types of animals. She is not the person in the wrong here, you will all do well to remember that!
The cow didn't take the blindest bit of notice to the dogs, it wasn't the dogs that the cow was after it charged my mum for no reason not the dog as they weren't even walking with her when it happened that cow obviously has a screw loose and shouldn't be allowed to still be roaming the land up there...if it had been a dog that hurt someone it would have been put to sleep. My mum has walked around those downs for years and those cows are left to go cereal as that particular farmer doesn't seem to be governed by the same rules as the others he doss the bare minimum! The national trust are in the wrong for allowing a field with a public footpath running through to be padlocked. Calling my mum a 'silly Herbert' she is a very well educated woman with a lot of knowledge regarding all types of animals. She is not the person in the wrong here, you will all do well to remember that! Mrs2207

8:31pm Sat 6 Oct 12

chippenette says...

In all my life I have never heard of a cow having a screw loose or going cereal !! But I'm sure that cows do belong in fenced in fields and walkers should always be aware of the fact that cows may not like walkers wandering through no matter how long someone has choosen to do this . Am also pretty sure that the farmer would have been told if his cows where not being kept properly by now . Your Mum maybe educated but in this case that didnt help her did it and you should remember that also ! ;_)
In all my life I have never heard of a cow having a screw loose or going cereal !! But I'm sure that cows do belong in fenced in fields and walkers should always be aware of the fact that cows may not like walkers wandering through no matter how long someone has choosen to do this . Am also pretty sure that the farmer would have been told if his cows where not being kept properly by now . Your Mum maybe educated but in this case that didnt help her did it and you should remember that also ! ;_) chippenette

8:47pm Sat 6 Oct 12

Mrs2207 says...

Well chippwhatever...I have worked as a heards person working with cows on a daily basis and I have known of cows being loopey/screw loose and they become 'bullish' and the word cereal meant ferrel sorry my phone had not so smart moment! No he doesn't have the same rules as the other farmers in the local area which we inference hear their grievances about! No her intellence didn't help her unfortunately...bein
g charged and crushed by a cow it wouldn't be of much use! I was meerly trying to point out my mum has a lot of common sense when it comes to being out and about in the countryside! And if the cow wasn't loopy or have a screw loose then you tell me why it charged her and only her, lets not forget it was a PUBLIC FOOTPATH! Where the hell did all the nice caring people go, people just like to sit around passing useless judgement! Don't wink/smiley face at me I don't know you and have no idea what exactly you mean by it! And it's just lovely how you can all be so flippant about this...if it was your mum or family member I dont think you would be some how!
Well chippwhatever...I have worked as a heards person working with cows on a daily basis and I have known of cows being loopey/screw loose and they become 'bullish' and the word cereal meant ferrel sorry my phone had not so smart moment! No he doesn't have the same rules as the other farmers in the local area which we inference hear their grievances about! No her intellence didn't help her unfortunately...bein g charged and crushed by a cow it wouldn't be of much use! I was meerly trying to point out my mum has a lot of common sense when it comes to being out and about in the countryside! And if the cow wasn't loopy or have a screw loose then you tell me why it charged her and only her, lets not forget it was a PUBLIC FOOTPATH! Where the hell did all the nice caring people go, people just like to sit around passing useless judgement! Don't wink/smiley face at me I don't know you and have no idea what exactly you mean by it! And it's just lovely how you can all be so flippant about this...if it was your mum or family member I dont think you would be some how! Mrs2207

12:58pm Sun 7 Oct 12

pax says...

As the gate was padlocked maybe your mother should have looked at that as a the farmer not wanting people to walk through that particular field while the cows were there... Im sorry that she was hurt and it is understandable that you are sticking up for her but she does need to take some of the responsibility here.
As the gate was padlocked maybe your mother should have looked at that as a the farmer not wanting people to walk through that particular field while the cows were there... Im sorry that she was hurt and it is understandable that you are sticking up for her but she does need to take some of the responsibility here. pax

2:41pm Sun 7 Oct 12

Mrs2207 says...

The farmer was in trouble with DEFRA recently as 10 cows died from blue green algae which is toxic to them in high doses when he let their water troughs run dry, they had to shoot a cow on site that day because it was charging them! All this comes to light after my mum was trampled. No she really doesn't need to take any responsibility for this I'm sticking up for what's right and I would say exactly the same thing for anyone who had been trampled how can any of it be her fault, the gates are padlocked by the national trust not the farmer and they constantly break out of their fields....the animals are on that land and left for 12 months of the year, there's a public footpath through that land...if it needs grazing maybe it should be sheep!
The farmer was in trouble with DEFRA recently as 10 cows died from blue green algae which is toxic to them in high doses when he let their water troughs run dry, they had to shoot a cow on site that day because it was charging them! All this comes to light after my mum was trampled. No she really doesn't need to take any responsibility for this I'm sticking up for what's right and I would say exactly the same thing for anyone who had been trampled how can any of it be her fault, the gates are padlocked by the national trust not the farmer and they constantly break out of their fields....the animals are on that land and left for 12 months of the year, there's a public footpath through that land...if it needs grazing maybe it should be sheep! Mrs2207

4:46pm Sun 7 Oct 12

tony montana says...

Mrs2207 wrote:
The farmer was in trouble with DEFRA recently as 10 cows died from blue green algae which is toxic to them in high doses when he let their water troughs run dry, they had to shoot a cow on site that day because it was charging them! All this comes to light after my mum was trampled. No she really doesn't need to take any responsibility for this I'm sticking up for what's right and I would say exactly the same thing for anyone who had been trampled how can any of it be her fault, the gates are padlocked by the national trust not the farmer and they constantly break out of their fields....the animals are on that land and left for 12 months of the year, there's a public footpath through that land...if it needs grazing maybe it should be sheep!
are you not the one with a screw loose ????? !!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Mrs2207[/bold] wrote: The farmer was in trouble with DEFRA recently as 10 cows died from blue green algae which is toxic to them in high doses when he let their water troughs run dry, they had to shoot a cow on site that day because it was charging them! All this comes to light after my mum was trampled. No she really doesn't need to take any responsibility for this I'm sticking up for what's right and I would say exactly the same thing for anyone who had been trampled how can any of it be her fault, the gates are padlocked by the national trust not the farmer and they constantly break out of their fields....the animals are on that land and left for 12 months of the year, there's a public footpath through that land...if it needs grazing maybe it should be sheep![/p][/quote]are you not the one with a screw loose ????? !!!!!!! tony montana

8:29pm Sun 7 Oct 12

chippenette says...

Chippenette is the name , I was nt being flippant at all merely pointing out that cows belong in fields and that is their territory . As others have also pointed out maybe the gates have padlocks on to keep walkers out just because someone walks there regular it doesn't mean its ok to do so . And if you have worked as a herdsperson for sometime then you should also realise that all animals are unpredicable including sheep who can also butt and charge walkers !!
Chippenette is the name , I was nt being flippant at all merely pointing out that cows belong in fields and that is their territory . As others have also pointed out maybe the gates have padlocks on to keep walkers out just because someone walks there regular it doesn't mean its ok to do so . And if you have worked as a herdsperson for sometime then you should also realise that all animals are unpredicable including sheep who can also butt and charge walkers !! chippenette

8:52pm Mon 8 Oct 12

hairclip says...

This is an area of well over 600 acres, there are numerous footpaths/bridleways and she made a choice to walk through that field, therefore she must take responsibility. The cows are not up there 12 months of the year, they are taken away to calf in December and then start going back out from March - they are checked daily! They do not get out frequently, on the occasions when they have, it is usually because members of the public have left gates open!!!. The National Trust prefer to have cattle grazing it as they don't eat the grass down as low as sheep, enabling all the wildflowers including orchids to grow well. I don't wish to be rude, but, basically there were plenty of options available to enjoy a good walk and avoid taking dogs through this field. Cows wouldn't give a hoot (or a moo!!!) about anyone being intelligent, having common sense or being "countrywise" you were a threat to them and they responded accordingly
This is an area of well over 600 acres, there are numerous footpaths/bridleways and she made a choice to walk through that field, therefore she must take responsibility. The cows are not up there 12 months of the year, they are taken away to calf in December and then start going back out from March - they are checked daily! They do not get out frequently, on the occasions when they have, it is usually because members of the public have left gates open!!!. The National Trust prefer to have cattle grazing it as they don't eat the grass down as low as sheep, enabling all the wildflowers including orchids to grow well. I don't wish to be rude, but, basically there were plenty of options available to enjoy a good walk and avoid taking dogs through this field. Cows wouldn't give a hoot (or a moo!!!) about anyone being intelligent, having common sense or being "countrywise" you were a threat to them and they responded accordingly hairclip

8:54pm Thu 11 Oct 12

Mrs2207 says...

So this morning a poor lady died after being trampled by a cow. A farmer of cows who lets their heavy in-reliable animals in a field with a public footpath through it they should fence off an area for the public footpath. My mum is a damned site more important as is any human being than some wild flowers and orchids! But your overwhelming concern and well wishes...well it's truley amazing! You all sit in your ivory towers judging people an their actions and I bet you have an opinion of every story on here and remain faceless, my mum has served the community for years and caring for them when they need it ready to help anyone and this is the sort of response she gets....WELL DONE! Responsibility for her actions? Whatever faceless moaners
So this morning a poor lady died after being trampled by a cow. A farmer of cows who lets their heavy in-reliable animals in a field with a public footpath through it they should fence off an area for the public footpath. My mum is a damned site more important as is any human being than some wild flowers and orchids! But your overwhelming concern and well wishes...well it's truley amazing! You all sit in your ivory towers judging people an their actions and I bet you have an opinion of every story on here and remain faceless, my mum has served the community for years and caring for them when they need it ready to help anyone and this is the sort of response she gets....WELL DONE! Responsibility for her actions? Whatever faceless moaners Mrs2207

8:57pm Thu 11 Oct 12

Mrs2207 says...

I was the lucky one....at least I'm not arranging a funeral, but some poor family is...
I was the lucky one....at least I'm not arranging a funeral, but some poor family is... Mrs2207

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree