Parents of disabled man frustrated as equipment is not replaced

This Is Wiltshire: Glenn Wickham with parents June and David Wickham Glenn Wickham with parents June and David Wickham

A Trowbridge couple say their disabled son will have to miss spending time at a day centre because the authorities are refusing to replace broken equipment.

David and June Wick-ham’s son Glenn, 32, is in a wheelchair and has severe learning difficulties.

He lives at Peel House in Melksham, is a residential care home for adults with disabilities and learning difficulties, and has attended Ashton Street Centre in Trowbridge every weekday since the age of 10 for activities and social contact.

He needs an overhead hoist to leave his wheelchair for stretching and physiotherapy, but since Ashton Street’s hoist broke last year the Wickhams have been battling to get it replaced.

But both Wiltshire Council, which runs Ashton Street, and NHS Wiltshire, which funds Mr Wickham’s treatment, say it is unnecessary to meet his needs.

Mrs Wickham, of Wyke Road, said: “We have had excuse after excuse and meeting after meeting. They are saying Glenn can use the hoist at Peel House in Melksham daily. This will totally disrupt Glenn’s day. He will only be able to attend Ashton Street for half-a-day daily.

“They can spend how many millions refurbishing County Hall, but cannot look after the vulnerable people in our midst.

“We offered to pay for it. It shouldn’t be necessary, but if it helps Glenn and gives him back what he had then, that’s what we’re prepared to do. They said ‘no no, we can’t have that’. It’s just ridiculous.”

Mrs Wickham said any change to her son’s routine was likely to upset him.

She said: “He will take some time to get into a new routine, he does take a long time to become accustomed to change.

“He’s very much a social sort of person, he does enjoy everything there, the people, and meeting his friends.”

However, Wiltshire Council and NHS Wiltshire said that Mr Wickham can spend the same amount of time at Ashton Street and still receive physiotherapy in Melksham.

In a joint statement, the two bodies said: “We have received a request for another hoist to be installed so Mr Wickham can also receive physiotherapy at the centre and his parents have offered to pay for this. We cannot accept their kind offer as an assessment has shown that it is not safe for a mobile hoist to be used to transfer patients for physio and also the mobile room at Ashton Street does not have a ceiling track hoist fitted.

“NHS Wiltshire has put in place physiotherapy sessions for Mr Wickham at his care home to ensure he is receiving every care he needs and is still able to spend the same amount of time at Ashton Street.”

But Mr Wickham says that there is no time for his son to have physio in the evenings at Peel House between his personal care time and dinner before going to bed at 8pm. He said Glenn gets uncomfortable if he spends a prolonged amount of time in his chair, and needs his physio in the middle of the day to alleviate this, meaning he will have to do a half-day at Ashton Street.

He said: “We’re going backwards, things are getting worse for our son.”

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:40pm Sun 7 Oct 12

notscot says...

Typical decision- making made by those without the slightest CLUE or CARE about the result other than savings to the budget. Same people who decide that it's perfectly acceptable to put a dependant pensioner to bed at 6pm simply because it "suits the cheapest rota".
Typical decision- making made by those without the slightest CLUE or CARE about the result other than savings to the budget. Same people who decide that it's perfectly acceptable to put a dependant pensioner to bed at 6pm simply because it "suits the cheapest rota". notscot

5:07am Mon 8 Oct 12

redrum says...

No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.
No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them. redrum

8:34am Mon 8 Oct 12

Rackwell says...

redrum wrote:
No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.
What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way.
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.[/p][/quote]What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way. Rackwell

1:06pm Mon 8 Oct 12

notscot says...

Rackwell wrote:
redrum wrote:
No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.
What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way.
The point is - the equipment is available to this chap - but NOT at the most advantageous time or place to him.
As long as the "box is ticked" those making the decision can say "everything he needs is available" - regardless of it's actual benefit.
They're the type of "organisers" who can also say most of the elderly patients receive the morning and evening care they are entitled to, to enable them to continue living in their own homes. So what that they're put to bed at 6pm and the morning "support" doesn't arrive before 10am - the support box has been "ticked" - job done. Great society.
[quote][p][bold]Rackwell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.[/p][/quote]What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way.[/p][/quote]The point is - the equipment is available to this chap - but NOT at the most advantageous time or place to him. As long as the "box is ticked" those making the decision can say "everything he needs is available" - regardless of it's actual benefit. They're the type of "organisers" who can also say most of the elderly patients receive the morning and evening care they are entitled to, to enable them to continue living in their own homes. So what that they're put to bed at 6pm and the morning "support" doesn't arrive before 10am - the support box has been "ticked" - job done. Great society. notscot

5:54pm Mon 8 Oct 12

Rackwell says...

notscot wrote:
Rackwell wrote:
redrum wrote:
No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.
What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way.
The point is - the equipment is available to this chap - but NOT at the most advantageous time or place to him.
As long as the "box is ticked" those making the decision can say "everything he needs is available" - regardless of it's actual benefit.
They're the type of "organisers" who can also say most of the elderly patients receive the morning and evening care they are entitled to, to enable them to continue living in their own homes. So what that they're put to bed at 6pm and the morning "support" doesn't arrive before 10am - the support box has been "ticked" - job done. Great society.
And where did I disagree with any of that? I was making the point that the poster assumed that Council staff responsible for this gentleman's equipment get paid for 'xmas parties'. This is not the case.
[quote][p][bold]notscot[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rackwell[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: No consideration for people who these things are important to as usual, saving for their xmas parties maybe. The so called care that some people get from their services are a disgrace. Why should his routine have to fit around what they want. I have a child with special needs and change is a big thing to them.[/p][/quote]What 'xmas party' is that then? I work for Wiltshire Council and have never had a paid for 'xmas party' in my time and would not expect one either. Try using logical, reasonable and TRUTHFUL arguments, your point might be more valid that way.[/p][/quote]The point is - the equipment is available to this chap - but NOT at the most advantageous time or place to him. As long as the "box is ticked" those making the decision can say "everything he needs is available" - regardless of it's actual benefit. They're the type of "organisers" who can also say most of the elderly patients receive the morning and evening care they are entitled to, to enable them to continue living in their own homes. So what that they're put to bed at 6pm and the morning "support" doesn't arrive before 10am - the support box has been "ticked" - job done. Great society.[/p][/quote]And where did I disagree with any of that? I was making the point that the poster assumed that Council staff responsible for this gentleman's equipment get paid for 'xmas parties'. This is not the case. Rackwell

9:24pm Mon 8 Oct 12

notscot says...

The original poster made a statement implying that funds had been mis-directed. Your post was about the fact that you, as a council employee, knew this to be untrue.
This article is about the lack of thought put in to the allocation of assistance to those who need it most.
Not petty squabbles and finger pointing.
The original poster made a statement implying that funds had been mis-directed. Your post was about the fact that you, as a council employee, knew this to be untrue. This article is about the lack of thought put in to the allocation of assistance to those who need it most. Not petty squabbles and finger pointing. notscot

1:27pm Tue 9 Oct 12

beetawix says...

Are you a moderator now?
Are you a moderator now? beetawix

5:40pm Tue 9 Oct 12

redrum says...

With all the money the councils waste at the minute, assembly rooms, new libraries and uniforms, new council offices it is a disgrace this young mans needs are not funded. Still as long as the council workers are happy?
With all the money the councils waste at the minute, assembly rooms, new libraries and uniforms, new council offices it is a disgrace this young mans needs are not funded. Still as long as the council workers are happy? redrum

10:03pm Tue 9 Oct 12

beetawix says...

redrum wrote:
With all the money the councils waste at the minute, assembly rooms, new libraries and uniforms, new council offices it is a disgrace this young mans needs are not funded. Still as long as the council workers are happy?
What Rackwell said

logical, reasonable and truthful is what you need
[quote][p][bold]redrum[/bold] wrote: With all the money the councils waste at the minute, assembly rooms, new libraries and uniforms, new council offices it is a disgrace this young mans needs are not funded. Still as long as the council workers are happy?[/p][/quote]What Rackwell said logical, reasonable and truthful is what you need beetawix

2:23pm Wed 10 Oct 12

PeterZahut says...

As long as the council gets it's unpaid for Xmas party, they couldn't care less about the actual people who's needs they are meant to meet.

As long as statistics can be 'sexed up' to meet targets, it doesn't matter to them.

Absolute disgrace.
As long as the council gets it's unpaid for Xmas party, they couldn't care less about the actual people who's needs they are meant to meet. As long as statistics can be 'sexed up' to meet targets, it doesn't matter to them. Absolute disgrace. PeterZahut

6:06am Fri 12 Oct 12

stonker says...

I have read this article again trying to find the sexed up statistics? Can someone also explain the relevance of a Christmas party, paid for or otherwise?
I have read this article again trying to find the sexed up statistics? Can someone also explain the relevance of a Christmas party, paid for or otherwise? stonker

7:23am Fri 12 Oct 12

notscot says...

stonker wrote:
I have read this article again trying to find the sexed up statistics? Can someone also explain the relevance of a Christmas party, paid for or otherwise?
If you find reference to either- let me know. Could have sworn it was about the allocation of services required by members of the commuity - and how they aren't always provided in ways that best meets the neeeds of those needing the services.
[quote][p][bold]stonker[/bold] wrote: I have read this article again trying to find the sexed up statistics? Can someone also explain the relevance of a Christmas party, paid for or otherwise?[/p][/quote]If you find reference to either- let me know. Could have sworn it was about the allocation of services required by members of the commuity - and how they aren't always provided in ways that best meets the neeeds of those needing the services. notscot

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree