FOOTBALL: Park life good again as Cribbs are beaten

This Is Wiltshire: Chippenham Park’s Ryan Campbell takes a tumble during his side’s victory over Cribbs Chippenham Park’s Ryan Campbell takes a tumble during his side’s victory over Cribbs

DAVE Ferris was delighted to see his Chippenham Park side iron out their issues as they beat high-flying Cribbs at Hardenhuish Park last weekend.

Mark Robinson reacted quickest to a deflected effort to smash home the opener for Park before full-back Adam Shipman broke forward from defence and netted the home side’s second.

Top scorer Robinson then notched his tenth goal in seven games as he put Ferris’ side in control at 3-0 before Cribbs set up a tense finale.

The visitors netted twice to reduce the deficit but they couldn’t find an equaliser as Park claimed all three points.

“I felt that our last two performances had been good but we’d not been converting chances and we’d been giving goals away,” said Ferris.

“But on Saturday, we defended really well and also managed to turn some of those chances into goals.

“We were 3-0 up and I was thinking that this might be that game where we put five or six past someone. But we did say at half-time that ‘Cribbs are no mugs and they will throw everything at us’, and that did happen to an extent.

“Dave Gilroy, who used to play for Chippenham, got their first goal and they scored another with about 20 minutes to go but after that, there was a lot of action at both ends, without anything really happening.

“It’s a very good result for us because we beat a very good team and there’s a lot for us to take out of that game.”

Park take on near neighbours Corsham Town for the first time this afternoon (kick-off 12.30pm), with defender Luke Murden a doubt.

Ferris added: “Local derbies seem to be our Achilles’ heel and we never do well in them. But we’re still looking forward to the game.”

Devizes are held

DEVIZES Town joint-boss Darran Walters reckons that last weekend’s wet weather put a dampener on his side’s efforts against Oldland Abbotonians.

Devizes were forced to settle for a point at Nursteed Road after falling behind midway through the first half to Josh Dempsey’s finish from a corner kick.

Town’s Neil Clark fired home the equaliser late in the first half as he netted his third goal in as many games but neither side could steal an advantage in the second period.

“The wind and rain was obviously terrible and in hindsight, maybe we shouldn’t have played the game because we had a load of rainfall just before kick-off,” said Walters.

“I think that the conditions really killed the game and, in the end, a draw was a fair result. We’re a little bit disappointed because we have to look at it as two points dropped.

“We didn’t get the win but I was pretty happy with our performance again. We’ve only lost three of the last nine, so we’re satisfied with our form at the moment.”

Devizes travel to Calne Town this afternoon (3pm) and welcome Antony Hogg back into the squad but Walters and Justin Webster will be without Jack Fisher and striker Clark is a doubt.

Walters added: “I don’t know too much about Calne apart from the fact that Glenn Armstrong scores a lot of goals for them.

“They’re in a similar position to us though and we’ve got Corsham on Saturday too, so there should be some good local derbies this week.”

Kent screamer a real winner for Town

CORSHAM chief Trevor Rawlings was blown away by the stunning Kent Kauppinen strike that earned his side all three points against Wincanton Town last weekend.

Kaupinnen, who usually plays in goal for Southern League Swindon Supermarine, was available to feature for Corsham on Saturday and made his mark by cracking home a long range effort to help Rawlings’ men notch up a fourth straight victory.

“Kent knows the situation and whenever Supermarine’s games are off, he always lets me know,” said Rawlings.

“Their game was called off quite early on Saturday so he played centre-half for me, which was useful because Matty Windle was suspended.

“His goal was an absolutely unbelievable strike. He chested it down and just smashed it in from 40 yards – I think everyone knew what he was going to do.”

Kauppinen’s spectacular winner came after Corsham and Wincanton had shared four goals at the Southbank.

Robbie Burton levelled the scores at 1-1 after the visitors had taken an early lead before Rob Pocock curled home Corsham’s second.

Wincanton hit back to tie things up at 2-2 before Kauppinen stepped up to settle matters.

Rawlings said: “It took us 15-20 minutes to get going and they scored after about three minutes so it was the worst possible start.

“But after that, Robbie Burton got the equaliser with a great finish and Rob Pocock got his first of the season.

“We’re on a nice little run now and Saturday was the first time in a long time that I’ve only had to make one change to the side.”

Matt Windle and Matt Jenkins are both suspended for today’s clash with Chippenham Park (12.30pm).

Collier is the saviour

A LAST-GASP strike from Sam Collier saw Bassett rescue a point against in-form Thame United last weekend.

Both sides finished with ten men at the Corinium Stadium but Collier’s goal three minutes from time was enough to maintain Bassett’s unbeaten league run.

“It was a crazy game but a draw was the least we deserved,” said Collier.

“We started poorly, playing with the wind in the first half and it was lucky that we stayed in the game, as at 1-0 we were alright.

“We were a completely different team in the second half – we passed it well, worked hard and made tackles.

“Jordan Roberts was absolutely magnificent and got us back in the game with his goal. We could have folded with ten men but when they had one sent off, we knew we had a chance.’’ Jeff Roberts’ men trailed 1-0 at the break after Ollie Lynch had found the net for the visitors and things went from bad to worse as Adam Corcoran was shown a second yellow card for dissent.

But on the hour mark, the ten-man hosts hit back as Jason Milhench fed Jordan Roberts, allowing the midfielder to drill a 25-yard effort into the top corner.

Thame then went down to ten men themselves after Ben Connelly was handed a second booking but United looked to have snatched all three points with six minutes remaining as Matt Willett curled home from the right-hand side of the box.

But Collier received the ball from Ryan Stanners before driving a dramatic equaliser low into the bottom corner.



About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree