FROME Town slipped to a second successive defeat as they were brushed aside at play-off chasing St Albans City last weekend.

In one of only three clashes to survive the wet weather in the Calor League Premier Division, Robins chief Adrian Foster was forced to re-shuffle his defence, with new signing Jack Vallis partnering Josh Ford in the centre of defence and Brandon Mundy moving in to the back line in the absence of suspended duo Mark Cooper and Tim Stephenson.

Frome carved out a chance to take the lead in the the ninth minute, with great build-up play seeing Matt Groves tee up Ben Wood, who then rolled the ball into Aaron Ledgister, but his first-time strike was tipped over the bar by Paul Bastock. 

St Albans replied in the 15th minute as John Frendo rolled the ball back to Jamal Lowe from the far post but his strike was held comfortably by Darren Chitty.

The hosts started to get into their stride and in the 23rd minute, Frendo rose above everyone and headed the ball back across the goal but Rhys Baggridge reacted quickly to head over his own bar.

Wood brought another save from keeper Bastock in the 27th minute but two minutes later, Foster's men were behind as an outstanding low cross from Howard Hall was converted by Lowe, who prodded the ball home past Chitty.

The hosts should have doubled their lead a minute later as the ball went through under Ledgister's foot, allowing David Keenleyside a run on goal, but he shot wide with only Chitty to beat. 

The pressure continued but Ledgister denied the hosts with two blocks and then keeper Chitty saved well with feet to deny James Comley.

Then, Keenleyside's cross was cleared by Baggridge but the ball was headed back in and Frendo almost slid home at the far post.

Two goals in three minutes just after half-time finally killed off Frome’s chances, with the first arriving the the 50th minute as Lowe produced a peach of a pass to Keenleyside, allowing him to beat two defenders and loop the ball over Chitty with the aid of a deflection.

The third then arrived shortly afterwards as a through ball from Frendo set up Comley to shoot home with ease from close range.

Robins keeper Chitty saved superbly in the 62nd minute to deny Lowe and Frome’s day was well and truly done and dusted five minutes later as Frendo rounded off a fine performance with a goal as he waltzed through the defence to net his 24th of the season at the near post.

The Robins' only real chance to grab a goal back came in the 75th minute as a great cross from Wood allowed Ricky Hulbert to thunder a shot against the home cross bar.

Foster's side go looking to bounce back when the y host bottom-of-the-table Bashley this weekend.