CIRENCESTER Town striker Jody Bevan is hoping for a fairytale ending to his career today.

The 35-year-old hitman plays his final home match before hanging up his boots on Saturday knowing that a win could guarantee the Corinium Stadium side the Southern League Division One South and West title - should Merthyr Town slip up once more following their 1-0 defeat at Swindon Supermarine.

But it would be made even more special for the striker, who has hit more than 250 Southern League goals during his career, as his son Rhys will lead Brian Hughes men out on the Corinium Stadium pitch.

“It is just a nice coincidence,” Bevan said. “Rhys has been pencilled in to be the mascot for some time.

“It would be great if we could win the title, this is something I never expected to be involved in again.”

Bevan admits that this afternoon’s clash with Shortwood United is going to be a tough test for the Centurions, while the Welsh side entertain mid-table Evesham United.

“We have definitely got the hardest game,” the striker said. “It would be great if we could win the league and I don’t have to get off the bench.

“But I suppose the fairytale would be is that Merthyr lose and I come on and score the goal to win us the title.”

The Centurions leapt into pole position on Saturday as they held their nerve to win a five-goal thriller at Mangotsfield United.

Ben Wells fired Hughes’ side into the lead against the Mangos with a sublime free-kick after a foul on Lee Smith.

Steve Davies doubled Cirencester’s lead six minutes after the interval before Neil Arndale pulled a goal back for the hosts from the spot on 71 minutes.

Smith restored the visitors’ two-goal advantage four minutes later after he was put through by Bevan.

But in the final minute of the match Lewis Sommers ensured a nervy end to the contest for Cirencester with the hosts’ second.

Chippenham Town will look to bounce back from Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Hitchin Town when they entertain Hungerford Town at hardenhuish Park today.

The Bluebirds took the lead courtesy of Joe McClennan's 24th-minute opener, but the hosts were back on level terms on 37 minutes as Gary Wharton found the net and they went into the break ahead as Gary Jones fired home a penalty on the stroke of half time.

Wharton wrapped up the three points for the hosts with his second on 70 minutes.