LOWER Stratton boss Alan Spring was absolutely ecstatic after his side were able to overcome league status and beat Old Town United 2-0 in the final of the George Thomas/Don Rogers Cup at the Webb’s Wood last Saturday.

Will Hooton’s first-half strike and a penalty converted by James Saunders were enough to give Stratton a first cup success in their long local history.

Stratton came into the game on the back of picking up the Swindon & District Division One title but were underdogs against Premier Division Old Town.

Long-serving Stratton boss Spring was delighted to have finally won some silverware for the club he has had such a long involvement with.

“I am absolutely ecstatic, the lads have done me proud, it’s the first time that we’ve won the Chairman’s Cup, we lost one back about five years ago in the cup final and I’m so pleased for everyone and for Lower Stratton full stop,” Spring said.

“We are the longest serving team in the Swindon & District League and now we’ve got the double, what more can I say? The opposing team put themselves about and did the best they can but we were strongest and we wanted it more.”

“I think the fitness level of Old Town from some of their players was a littlbe bit better than our own, even though we’ve got some fit lads there, they changed gear a little bit (after half time). Normally we’re the stronger in the second half but we had to dig deep. When they attacked they looked dangerous, a couple times I thought that’s going in and we put bodies on the line and got in the way.

“It could have easily gone into extra time, there was a couple that didn’t quite go over the line for them and we got that second goal. Once we got that goal we basically closed off the game.”

Stratton had the best of the first half and forced Old Town to concede a number of set-pieces in dangerous positions but poor delivery thwarted their hopes more than once.

They took a deserved lead when Hooton latched on to a weak Old Town back pass to slot past Jason Knight in goal.

After the break the Premier Division side had far more of the ball with Steve Nesbitt causing problems.

Stephen Witts’ side did come close to an equaliser, hittting the post from a set piece in the 65th minute.

When Steve Norris was tripped in the box on Stratton foray forwad Saunders stepped up to make the the cup safe.