MANAGER Chris Pethick could not fault his players after Purton were knocked out of the Challenge Cup first round in extra time.

The injury-ravaged Red House side took the game to extra time courtesy of a Dave Gee effort, while Steve Olphert netted for Clanfield.

But in extra time Olphert beat Lee Wilson from the spot to send the Oxfordshire side through with a 2-1 win.

“We played really well, it was a good performance and we didn't deserve to lose,” said Pethick. "We were the better side by a mile.

“We were robbed on a dodgy penalty, the player just did a swan dive and the referee fell for it.

“Beforehand I asked the lads to give me a performance and told them the result wasn't that important.

“Having said that, it was disappointing to lose a game we shouldn’t have lost.”

Meanwhile, Dave Turner admitted experimentation didn't pay off after Wootton Bassett were defeated 2-0 at Wantage.

“I tried a few players in different positions in the first half and we didn't play particularly well and probably deserved to be 2-0 down,” he said.

“That wasn’t the players’ fault, that was me messing around with the team.

“I was really happy with the second-half performance and Adam Corcoran was my man of the match, I thought he was outstanding.”

Elsewhere, four red cards were shown in Cricklade 's 4-2 extra-time defeat of Ascot.

Jack Allan opened the scoring midway through the first half, only for the visitors to level just after the break through Rob Saunders.

Striker Jon Bennett was sent off for Ascot before Liam Woozley received his second yellow for bringing down Allan in the area, and Ryan Thomas struck home the spot kick.

Despite having a goal and a two-man advantage, Cricklade somehow allowed their opponents to level, Ian Brooks scoring after the defence had failed to clear.

In extra time, Saunders were denied what looked a clear penalty after Lee Hedges lunged in, but the spot kick was not given and moments later Ben Carter skipped round the Ascot keeper to make it 3-2.

For their reactions to the penalty not being given, Saunders and his manager Jeff Lamb were both dismissed.

Cricklade made the game safe in the second period of extra time when Carter's cross was tapped in by Allan.

Meanwhile, Lambourn lost 3-2 to Holyport in extra time after the match finished 2-2 following normal time.

James Louison and Parsons registered for Penn & Tylers Green as Malmesbury’s season took another turn for the worse.

Already struggling in Division One West, Vics' Challenge Cup campaign is now over following a 2-1 defeat.

New College were taught a lesson in their 3-0 loss to Thatcham, while Fairford were sunk 3-2 at Easington.