JONAS Hoog admitted Wildcats must work harder in games following their 4-1 EPL defeat at Slough last night.

Again missing injured duo Joe Baird and Shane Moore on D, Swindon were outfought by their hosts at the Hangar and Swedish star Hoog believes effort levels must be increased.

"Rocky (Gregg Rockman) made some big saves and we had a lot of chances, but we couldn't score," said Hoog.

"It was close a couple of times but we didn't get a second or win the game, which is the most important thing.

"We didn't work as hard as we should and although we were short-benched it doesn't matter, we still need to work harder.

"We need to go hard, score goals and not let so many in. I hope we will turn this round next week ."

Swindon were caught cold in the first few minutes as Alex Barker was left unmarked and he flicked over Dean Skinns' left shoulder (2.21).

Led by Darius Pliskauskas, Slough were playing terrific attacking hockey and Aaron Connolly nearly finished off a intricate attacking move, only to stab straight at Skinns.

Swindon gradually worked their way back into contention and following Aaron Nell's earlier slapshot, Michal Kapicka was denied on the angle.

The visitors' good work was undone at the start of the second, as the Jets scored twice in the space of three minutes.

First Pliskauskas converted on the powerplay while Loris Taylor was binned for an icing infringement (23.34) and then player-coach Slava Koulikov got in on the act with Frantisek Bakrlik supplying the assist (25.16).

Adam Greener was handed a 10-minute misconduct penalty for an angry reaction following his tripping offence, and with Wildcats again improving late in the period, they finally got their reward.

Nicky Watt was the man to get Ryan Aldridge's side back in it from Aaron Nell and Lee Richardson (35.39), and suddenly there was hope.

But Slough dealt a huge sucker punch at 42.34 when with Josh Bruce off the ice for tripping, Dan Davies rattled home Greener's pass.

Despite a couple more powerplay opportunities, Swindon could not get a second and were left to lick their wounds after their second defeat of the weekend.

The previous night, again the curse of overtime and penalty shots struck Swindon as they were beaten 1-0 in a shootout by Bracknell, after a 3-3 draw at the Link Centre.

Following a scoreless first period, 54 seconds into the second Kapicka put the hosts in front.

A Marcel Petran one-timer levelled matters on the powerplay, only for Hoog to crash into the net on the rebound.

D-man Paul Swindlehurst set up Hoog for his second on the breakaway, but the Bees were not done.

Andy Munroe replied with a superb solo effort that he finished on the backhand into the roof of the net.

In the final 10 minutes Bracknell equalised as a scramble resulted in Alan Lack converting past the screened Skinns.

Overtime was goalless, and after Nell, Jonas Hoog and Matias Perkkio all missed in the shootout, Shaun Thompson's strike proved the difference between the sides.