WESTLECOT teams produced a fine set of results last weekend in their opening indoor national inter-club championship matches.

On Saturday the men’s side, missing several of the indoor club’s star players, recorded a comprehensive 29 shots win over Thornbury in the first round of the Denny Cup.

And 24 hours later the mixed team registered an even bigger winning margin as they thumped Gloucester by 49 shots in an Egham Trophy first-round tie, winning 105-56.

Westlecot men made a conservative start across the board against Thornbury and only led 21-16 after five ends, but they increased the advantage to 41-26 at 10 and gradually pulled away.

At home at Westlecot, Dave Snell’s rink were always in control and won by nine shots, but the rink skipped by young Craig Hatherall had a much closer game and trailed several times.

They led 15-9 at 13 ends but were 15-16 down at 16, however a count of two followed by a six on the 18th sealed the game and they finally won 25-17.

Away in Thornbury Paul Kistle’s rink came from 9-8 down at 10 ends to power away to an emphatic 25-13 success.

Alongside, despite Mike Titcombe Junior’s rink leading 12-2 at 10 ends and 17-9 at 16, Westlecot failed to make it four winning rinks.

Titcombe’s quartet were hauled back in the latter stages of their match and trailed 18-17 after 20 ends, but managed a single on the last end to snatch an 18-18 draw.

Westlecot now face arch rivals Cotswold (Stroud) in the next round on November 3. Twenty-four hours later Westlecot mixed team produced a stunning second-half performance as they thrashed Gloucester by 49 shots in their opening Egham Trophy match.

They only led 50-33 at 10 ends across the board but then stormed away to a comprehensive 105-56 victory, despite only taking the honours on two rinks, drawing on one and losing on another.

Ian Jefferies’ home rink at Westlecot laid the foundations for victory and after leading 17-3 at 10 ends, they blasted away to crush their opponents 41-6.

However, the other home match was a very tight affair as John Thomas’ rink dropped a single on the last end to draw 21-21.

Away in Gloucester, Neil Smith skipped his rink to a convincing 25-7 success despite only being 11-5 up at 10 ends.

Alongside Tom Walkley’s quartet battled hard but trailed for most of their game. They managed to edge ahead 17-15 at 15 ends but missed out in the end, losing 18-22.

Westlecot will face Cotswold, who had a first-round bye, in the second round on Sunday, November 4 while Fairford, who also had a bye, will meet Carterton on the same date.