BOXING: Blackwell up for the fight
12:00pm Saturday 10th November 2012 in By Dan Barnes
NICK Blackwell has promised to take Billy Joe Saunders to the trenches when the two go head-to-head for the British middleweight title next month.
‘Bang Bang’ Blackwell, 22, came face-to-face with his opponent for the first time at a press conference at London’s Grosvenor Hotel last Friday ahead of their December 15 bout, which will also see 23-year-old Saunders’ Commonwealth belt on the line.
Trowbridge’s Blackwell thinks that his Hertfordshire counterpart may be expecting an easy victory at the ExCel Arena and is happy for Saunders to continue looking beyond their fight.
“It’s the first time we met and I think that he’s already looking beyond our fight, which he shouldn’t be doing,” said Blackwell.
“I’m not going to say too much and just let him carry on thinking that he’s already won.
“On December 15, I think that I might even have more than just my own fans because a lot of people don’t like his cockiness and want him to lose. He can do what he wants though.
“He’s slick with his shots but he’s used to controlling the ring in his fights and on December 15 that won’t happen because I’m going to take him to the trenches.”
Speaking last week, Saunders said that it was only a matter of time before he claimed the British title belt.
“I know Nick trains well and he’s come through the hard route,” said the Hertfordshire man.
“He’ll come fit and ready but they don’t come readier than me.
“I can’t wait until the 15th of December to add the British title to the Commonwealth. I know that I’ll have it at home ready for Christmas.
“Hopefully next year we can be talking about world titles.”
Ticket details are available from Trowbridge’s Contender Gym on 01225 765712.
Comments are closed on this article.