WOOTTON Bassett boss Dave Turner believes his side’s preparation was the key to their 2-1 Boxing Day win away at Purton.

The visitors got off to the perfect start as Steve Yeardley swept them into the lead after only 17 seconds, and after Matty Bennett doubled the advantage after 70 minutes Bassett were forced to hold on after Jamie McGahey grabbed one back only a minute later.

Despite Ritchie Saunders’ late red card the defence held firm to earn three vital points in the quest to earn promotion from Division One West, and Turner believes the professional manner of his side was what ultimately saw them through.

“I like to have my players at the ground about an hour and a quarter before kick-off, and at quarter to 10 I had all of my players there and not one of the Purton players had turned up yet,” he said.

“From then on I knew we would be very professional, although I didn’t know we would win, because our preparation was good.

“Being prepared is a vital part of the game, and it proved that way for us because everyone has bought into our way of doing things.

“You could expect standards to slip a little for an early game on Boxing Day, but we didn’t let ours, and we deserved to win.”

Turner had to manage without top scorer Mark Barnes who had work commitments, and the Bassett boss was pleased to see his defence grab the headlines for a change.

“We scored an early goal which proved very important, and then we went and scored another in the second half although they go one back pretty quickly after that,” he said.

“From then on it was a backs to the wall job for the last 20 minutes to be honest, but we came through and it was a great win for us.

“The forwards have taken a lot of the credit so far this season, and rightly so because they have been brilliant, but this one was more about the defence which is pleasing for them.

“It started from the front and the forwards defended well, but it was a great team effort and a big win for us because we had a few players missing.”

Elsewhere in the division, Malmesbury’s home clash with Tytherington Rocks was postponed, while Lambourn Sports beat Letcombe 4-1.

Meanwhile, in the Southern League, Chippenham drew 1-1 at Chesham, with Alex Kite’s headed equaliser 13 minutes from time securing a point.

In Division One South & West, Cirencester drew 0-0 at Shortwood while Supermarine’s game with Paulton was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.