AN entertaining competitive, match resulted in two goals, two red cards, some outstanding saves with the points eventually shared as Frome Town picked up another precious point.

Frome were without the injured Tom Evans, Mike Reaney and Rob Hobbs today, but welcomed back the returning Luke Ballinger who started the match with Ricky Hulbert after his 12 months sabbatical in New Zealand.

Frome started very brightly and after a Mike Perrott shot had tested Shane Gore and Luke Ballinger had hit the home crossbar from 30 yards, they took the lead in the 18th minute as Darren Jefferies set Hulbert free to shoot, with the rebound falling to Matt Smith who tucked the ball home.

As the match settled, Frome had further chances, Hulbert raced onto a ball that bounced over the full back and brought a low save from Gore, but then Chesham came into the match and Darren Chitty brought off an amazing save at full stretch at the base of his right post to push a 20 yard volley from Inih Effiong out for a corner.

Jefferies and Hulbert combined well in the 32nd minute to allow Smith to send a volley just over the bar, and then Chitty again was called into action to deal with a 35 yarder from Toby Little, and the same player tested him again a minute later with another long range effort.

Frome had a big shout for a penalty turned down just before half time as Mark Cooper was bundled over by Gore, but nothing was given and half time saw Frome holding onto their lead on a heavy pitch with both teams struggling to keep their feet.

Chesham equalised two minutes into the second half as Simon Thomas set up Steve Wales to fire home superbly from the edge of the box, Chris Watters saw a cross land on the top of the Frome bar, and then Chitty once again denied Little in the 60th minute, but chances were becoming fewer as the pitch took its toll on legs.

Chesham’s John Kyriacou was shown a straight red in the 83rd minute after an outrageous attempted assault on Luke Ballinger and, once the melee had settled, Frome’s Josh Brigham also received a red card for his part in the aftermath.

The last chance of the match fell to Chesham as Effiong brought another great save from Chitty, but nobody was there to turn the ball home and the whistle blew shortly afterwards for an excellent away point against a team with a good home record this season.

The H&B Tyres Man of the Match award was awarded to Dave Thompson for an outstanding performance at the heart of the defence.