AT THE third time of asking defending Chantry Digital Ltd-sponsored Knockout Cup holders Westbury United Reserves finally began the defence of the trophy they won last term when they beat Boomsbury 3-2 underway.

Westbury, who received a walkover to the second round after their first round opponents Melksham Town A were unable to raise a side, were paired with second division Broughton Gifford whose last outing was at the start of December.

There was no shock at the Common as Westbury overcame the difficult condition and their stubborn opponents to claim a 2-0 victory that set them up with a trip to Seend United next weekend for their quarter-final tie.

Marc Lanfear, whose stunning 30 yarder won the cup for Westbury last May, opened the scoring for the Meadow Lane side.

Broughton helped bring about their own downfall as a Craig Burge own goal towards the end of the first half sealed Westbury’s passage into the last eight.

Seend United 2 Westwood News 0

HAVING already disposed of third division leaders Westwood News in the A&B Cup, first division Seend United, who only last weekend booked their place in the semi-finals of that cup competition, beat Mark Hurkett’s villagers for a second time their 2-0 win means they will host fellow first division outfit Westbury United Reserves next weekend for a place in another semi-final.

Seend were gifted their opener on nine minutes. Rob Manning pounced on a misplaced back pass and cut in from the left to go one-on-one with the Westwood keeper who he beat with ease to give his team the lead.

Seend doubled their lead in the 19th minute, having been awarded a free kick 20 yards from goal, Nathan Walker’s fine strike made it 2-0.

Westwood staged a fightback in the second half and although they put their host under pressure they didn’t really create any clear cut chances as Seend’s rearguard proved what a solid unit they have become in recent weeks as they keep the visitors at bay to hold onto their two goal lead.

The Fleece FC 5 Levi’s FC 0

THIRD Division stablemates Fleece FC and Levi’s FC both recorded 7-4 victories to reach this stage, Fleece needing extra time to beat United FC while Levi’s saw off Trowbridge Rangers in 90 minutes. 

Levi’s suffered a 5-1 defeat at the hands of the Fleece way back in September and, having seen no action since early December, they were given the runaround for a second time as Dan Cass side triumphed 5-0 to set up a meeting at Melksham Town Reserves in a week's time.

Simon Parfitt struck a spectacular 25-yard effort to give Fleece the lead and Levi’s were chasing the game from the moment James Cameron made it 2-0.

The second half brought more joy for Cameron as his second of the afternoon put the Fleece firmly in the driving seat and any hopes Levi’s may have had of getting back in the contest by super substitute Ryan Parfitt who with only his second touch within moments of coming on made it 4-0.

Tom A’Court missed two good chances to add a fifth for the Fleece before he finally found the target to complete what was a walk in the park for his team who will have to have the game of their lives if they are to cause an upset at the Conigre this Saturday.

Westbury Town 4 Trowbridge Wanderers 0

WITH their pitch at Bratton still unplayable, second division Westbury Town gave up home advantage to play their long overdue cup tie with first division Trowbridge Wanderers.

The game was switched to Seymour Playing Fields and Westbury who had produced one of the shocks of the first round when they eliminated Semington Magpies picked up the scalp of Jake Wayman’s struggling Wanderers side with a comfortable 4-0 win.

Mark Young, who was the star of the show for Westbury, gave his team a half-time lead.  Young doubled Westbury’s lead and when he completed his hat-trick for 3-0 it was game over for Wanderers and their fate was sealed by Ryan Earny who after missing a host of chances finally got his name on the scoresheet with his team's fourth of the afternoon.

Westbury will travel to Stanley Park next weekend for what will be a difficult game against third division Lacock FC, who will be dreaming of cup success after disposing of first division Freshford United and second division Trowbridge Wanderers Reserves to get this far.

Worton & Cheverell 2 Trowbridge Town Reserves 1

SECOND Division Worton & Cheverell were paired with third division Trowbridge Town Reserves and Paul Sperring’s side went into the game as firm favourites to make it into the final eight and lived up to their billing but their 2-1 success over a very well-drilled Town side was a lot closer than Worton would have thought that it would have been.

After a goalless first half Worton made the all-important breakthrough on 51 minutes with Carl Ledbury putting them ahead.

Trowbridge, who played a massive part in what was an entertaining contest, bagged their equaliser 10 minutes from time, Tom Moore scoring to make it 1-1.

With the game heading for extra time, Trowbridge suffered a cruel blow when Martin Dickinson slotted home an 87th winner for Worton.