JOSH Maguire was the star of the show for Westwood News as his hat-trick helped the second division side claim a place in the quarter-finals of this season's Briken Motors & AM Print & Copy sponsored A&B Cup after they claimed a 4-2 extra time win to dispose of first division Lamb FC.

In what was a fine game of football played in testing conditions on a very boggy pitch at Bobbin Lane, both teams did extremely well to keep going for 120 minutes.

Charlie Powell lashed home a stunning 30-yard effort for Westwood on 33 minutes but the sides went into the break locked together at one apiece with Tom Blackman scoring for the Lamb.

Thanks to Maguire’s early second-half goal Westwood looked to heading to the last eight but with almost the last kick of the 90 minutes, Lamb broke from their own half as they turned defence into attack and managed to grab an equaliser and take the tie to extra time, Bradley Witham netting the all-important goal.

Lamb had the better of the first 15 minutes of added time but were unable to conjure a third goal and they were again on top before Westwood broke clear to score their third with Maguire heading home from a corner.

With Lamb pushing players forward looking for a leveller, Westwood scored a fourth to seal their win, Maguire completing his treble with another goal on the break and as both teams toiled in the Westwood mud they were glad to hear the final whistle when Paul Collyer signaled the end of a great contest.

Freshford United 6 Trowbridge Rangers 0

AS EXPECTED, first division leaders Freshford United kept their charge for A&B Cup glory alive by comfortably seeing off the challenge from third division Trowbridge Rangers at Brown’s Park.

Central defender Ricky Trott headed home following a corner to give Freshford their lead, and almost a carbon copy second goal from Trott doubled the hosts' advantage and they made it 3-0 before the interval with Nick Ross finding the net.

After the break Trott completed his hat trick to take it to 4-0 and further goals from Steve Roddy and Mark Gerrish made up the half dozen.

Lacock FC 2 Trowbridge Town Reserves 1

THE all-first division cup clash between current leaders Lacock FC and second placed Trowbridge Town Reserves lived up to expectations as the teams slugged it out for 90 minutes in what was an excellent advert for grass roots football before Lacock booked their spot in the quarter-finals thanks to a narrow but thrilling 2-1 success.

Sam Hodsall’s goal for Lacock separated the sides at the break and it was game on in the second half when Kieren Mills fired Trowbridge level.

The second half ebbed and flowed with chances falling at both ends before Craig Gingell popped up to bag his first goal for Lacock with what proved to be the winner and set Joe Martin’s side up with a trip to Freshford in the next round.

Steeple Ashton 2 White Horse FC 5

WITHOUT the efforts of Steeple Ashton’s manager Neil Taylor their cup match at St Mary’s against quadruple-chasing White Horse would never have gone ahead.

And after 45 minutes of the game it looked as if Taylor’s efforts would be rewarded as his team had taken a shock 2-0 lead. However a different White Horse side turned up for the second half and it was business as usual as the third division side hit five unanswered goals to run out 5-2 victors.

Ashton took the lead when Kieran Stone claimed the final touch to Allan Clarke clearance that looked to heading into his own net and a Marc Sheppard strike put Ashton on course for an unlikely win but they were unable to hold out as their cup dreams turned into a nightmare in the second half as White Horse found their feet.

Stuart Barber started the comeback for White Horse, substitute Matty Mead squared things up and two further goals from Mead completed his three-timer to give his team a 4-2 lead and number five came from Barber who made the final score line a lot more convincing than it really was.