Swindon coach says team will learn from heavy loss
5:30am Tuesday 15th April 2014 in By Michael Reeves, Deputy sports editor
SWINDON Storm head coach Steve Bennett says that his side can learn a lot from this opening day defeat to former National League champions Farnham Knights.
The Supermarine side were on the wrong end of a 55-6 reverse on Sunday in their first game of the campaign with quarter-back Dan Thorne scoring their only touch down.
However, Bennett was pleased with how his side performed.
“We can learn an awful lot from that game,” he said. “Not only are they former national champions, but they have been European quarter finalists.
“Their head coach (Steve Rains) was in charge at London Warriors last season and they were national champions and he has brought several players with him.
“Whereas in my team, I have got 30 per cent of players in their first year of playing football and the other 70 per cent have only been playing for a maximum of three years.
“I went through a complete rotation of the players pretty quickly just so that they could be exposed to this level of football.”
Although the score shows a heavy reverse for Storm, Bennett said that the majority of Knight’s scores came from long passes.
“We pretty much matched them yeard for yard with our ground work,” Bennett said. “Just five of their touchdowns came from one-on-one situations.
“They completed 14 passes to our one and that is something we will be working on.”
Storm filmed Sunday’s match from three different angles and with state-of-art editing software, Bennett is hoping that his side will soon reap the benefit.
“With this software we can pin-point one player and go through what they need to improve on,” Bennett added.
“But overall it was a good experience for the players and it shows how hard this league is going to be.”
Storm are now not in league action until Sunday, May 4, when they entertain Bristol Apache at Supermarine.
Comments are closed on this article.