DORSET and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is urging caution this Shrove Tuesday so households don't fall victim to fire this evening.

Vikki Thomas, safe and well manager at Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said that when distracted by the image of a delicious, warm pancake topped with your favourite treat, fire safety may not be at the forefront of your mind. But accidental fires caused by cooking with oil or frying can be devastating, with a very high proportion of such fires resulting in injuries.

She said: “Making pancakes can be lots of fun for the whole family and they certainly can be delicious. However, over half of all accidental fires in the home start in the kitchen so please take care, especially when cooking with hot oil.”

She urged some top tips: "When using a frying pan or cooking with hot oil, remember: never leave the pan unattended when the heat is switched on. Do not move the pan if it is on fire.

"If the pan does catch fire don’t take any risks. Turn off the heat if it is safe to do so. Never throw water over it. Don’t tackle the fire yourself. Get out, stay out and call 999.

“And when you have finished cooking, make sure that all the appliances are turned off and the cooking area is clear.

"A working smoke alarm will greatly increase your chances of escaping unharmed. Have an escape plan and follow it - know exactly which way you will leave your home and know where you will go.

"Stay safe, and make sure your smoke alarms work properly. Test your smoke alarms regularly. Change the battery every year. Clean it out properly at least twice every year, by vacuuming the inside.

For details visit or book a Safe and Well check on 01722 691000.