THE latest victim of a spate of stabbings in Swindon is today recovering in hospital.

Police were called to Walcot late on Tuesday night following reports that a gang of youths were acting suspiciously. A force helicopter joined the search.

Within minutes of arriving at the scene, officers were called by doctors after a man with serious head and chest injuries walked through the doors of Great Western Hospital. The injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Last night, a Wiltshire Police spokeswoman said: “The victim suffered a minor wound to his leg which we believed was caused with a knife. He also suffered head and chest injuries which were not caused by a knife but as part of an assault.”

Detectives were conducting house-to-house enquiries along Sadler Walk and Shrewsbury Road, where the gang of youngsters were spotted.

Walcot residents yesterday complained of anti-social behaviour along Sadler Walk, just yards from New College and a children’s nursery.

One woman, 55, said: “The night before there were loads of motorbikes running up the path. We’ve had two nights in a row with the helicopter.”

Another man, 45, said: “I’ve been in England for 26 years, but I find this path quite scary. It should have more surveillance. There’s a lot of drug dealing round here.”

A spokeswoman for Wiltshire Police said that no arrests had been made, adding: “Investigations are ongoing and we’d appeal for anyone with information to call Swindon CID on 101.”

The Walcot assault brings the tally of Swindon stabbings since to six in less than two months.

In March, a 17-year-old boy was taken to hospital after being attacked inside the grounds of Eldene Primary School. An 18-year-old man was arrested. Four days later a man in his 30s was left with slash wounds to his back in an attack near the Oasis Leisure Centre.

Then, on April 29, a 36-year-old man was attacked in Old Town in the early hours.

The next day, police closed off an alleyway behind Curtis Street. Detectives later revealed that a man had accidentally stabbed himself in the leg.

At the time, Det Supt Jeremy Carter sought to calm fears. “My message is clear - if you are found carrying a knife in Swindon you will be arrested and can expect to feel the full force of the law against you,” he said.