FIREFIGHTERS rescued a dog from a house fire in Highworth after a deep fat fryer was accidentally switched on.

The family pet was the only one at home when the blaze started.

Fire crews were called shortly before noon yesterday to reports that smoke alarms were sounding at the bungalow in Home Farm.They arrived to find a fire in the kitchen but it had not spread because the door was shut.

Station manager Greg Izon said: “Although extensive damage was caused to the kitchen, the rest of the property was unaffected by the fire as the door was closed. In addition, the activation of the smoke detector meant the alarm was raised quickly, which also helped to limit the damage.

“We believe the fire to have started with a deep fat fryer that had been switched on accidentally.

“We would always urge people to ensure that appliances are switched off at the power socket when not in use, to fit smoke alarms and test them regularly, and to keep internal doors closed to prevent the spread of fire and smoke should the worst happen.”