A pair of football fans have been warned they could be jailed after taking part in fighting after a Swindon Town game.

Zach Surry pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder in relation to incidents following the game against Newport Town last season.

The 26-year-old was involved in the running battles after the home match on Saturday November 25, 2017.

And Luke Wheeler, 23, has admitted the less serious charge of affray in the town centre following the Welsh side’s 1-0 win.

The men are said to have been in a group of Town fans who took part in organised violence with supporters of the away team.

Surry has been made subject to a football banning order in the past having been involved in fighting related to football in September 2011.

Adjourning his case to June 21 Judge Robert Pawson, sitting at Swindon Crown Court, warned him that he could be jailed.

He said “The fact that I am ordering a pre-sentence report is no indication to what the sentence will be: particularly in light of that previous matter. Don’t assume that the sentence will not be custody.”

Surry, of Churchill Close, Calne, was released on bail on condition he does not attend any football match where the public has to pay to secure admission.

The judge told him “If you want to watch football you are going to have to do it on television.”

He and Wheeler, of Collingsmead, Liden, Swindon, who was released on unconditional bail, will be sentenced after four others have stood trial on a charge of violent disorder.

They are Regan Bunker-Holmes, 20, of Anchor Road. Calne, Joshua Tamin, 20, of Martins Close, Chippenham, William Walker, 21, of Hungerdown Lane, Chippenham, and Ian Wixey, 47, of David Stoddard Gardens, Pinehurst, Swindon.

All have pleaded not guilty to violent disorder apart from Wixey, who has not had the charge formally put to him.

Each of them has been released on bail to Monday June 10 when they are to stand trial before a jury.

Riot police were on the streets of Swindon for the first clash between the two teams in the town for 30 years.

It is said groups of men from either side met for a scrap in Fleet Street with Town fans from the Groves Company Inn and Newport fans from the Sir Daniel Arms.