A FAMILY had a lucky escape from their Walcot home after a fire broke out in a front bedroom.

Neighbouring homes in Frobisher Drive were evacuated as police and fire crews responded to a series of 999 calls just before 3.30pm yesterday.

This Is Wiltshire:

Simon Houston was one of the people who had to leave his house. He said: “I heard a knock on the front door from the family two doors down and was told to get out.

“The firefighters were amazing, they were here within five minutes and kept us updated about what was going on.

“We were evacuated last year as well, when there was an arson attack. This time, though, I’ve heard from the family who live there that the fire started from an electrical socket.

“I’m worried about it happening again and I feel bad for the family because this is going to cost them a fortune, though the important thing is that no-one was hurt.”

An onlooker called Nicky said: “I saw flames coming out of the window and there was smoke everywhere. The fire brigade smashed the front window and I saw flaming cupboards being chucked out.”

Another neighbour claimed to have seen two fire engines on the street responding to a different call at the same address hours before the bedroom fire.

This Is Wiltshire:

Firefighters used an aerial ladder to reach the bedroom as onlookers stopped in their tracks to watch.

A spokesman for the Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews in breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet and one main line.

“Thermal imaging camera was used as well as positive pressure ventilation.”

Most emergency vehicles had left the scene and neighbours allowed to return to their homes by 6pm, with one fire engine staying behind to deal with the aftermath of the bedroom fire.

The Adver understands that three generations of family members live in the damaged property and they have been given temporary accommodation.

This Is Wiltshire: