A WARNING has been issued after police found nitrous oxide cannisters in Queen's Park.

South Swindon MP Sir Robert Buckland posted on social media: "Taking nitrous oxide can be very dangerous and has even resulted in death.

"It is very dangerous to inhale nitrous oxide directly from the canister, [as is] doing it in an enclosed space.

"If you take too much, you risk falling unconscious or suffocating from the lack of oxygen. People have died this way.

"Other risks include dizziness, which might make you act carelessly or dangerously.

"Heavy regular use of nitrous oxide can lead to a deficiency of vitamin B12 and to a form of anaemia. Severe B12 deficiency can lead to serious nerve damage, causing tingling and numbness in the fingers and toes. This can be very painful and make walking difficult.

"Regular use can stop you forming white blood cells properly.

"Mixing nitrous oxide with alcohol is especially dangerous as it can increase the risks associated with both substances and can lead to an increased risk of accidents.

"This psychoactive drug... is illegal to give away or sell. Supply and production can get you up to seven years in prison, an unlimited fine or both."

Call FRANK on 0300 1236600 for confidential advice.