ELLIS Iandolo cared little about the fortunate nature of his first Football League goal after it helped Swindon Town start 2018 in winning fashion away at Barnet on New Year’s Day.

Iandolo played a key part in both of Town’s goals in the 2-1 success at the Hive Stadium, breaking the deadlock direct from a free-kick before then sending in another set-piece that allowed Matt Preston to turn home the winner after John Akinde had levelled for Barnet.

There was more than a small slice of luck about Iandolo’s opener as he appeared to send a looping free-kick deep into the Bees box, only for it to turn viciously in the wind and catch out home keeper Craig Ross as it sailed into the top corner at his near post.

Although Iandolo was hard pushed to admit whether or not the strike was intentional, the 20-year-old was thrilled to have made such a telling contribution to the game as Swindon climbed to within a point of the League Two play-off places.

“I’ve looked at it again so I won’t get away with saying I meant it. It was a cross but when you put it into a dangerous area with a bit of pace, things can happen,” said Iandolo, who has claimed a place in the Town team at left-wing back in recent matches.

“At the end of the day, it’s a goal and it goes down in my name and that’s all I care about.

“I am pleased to set up the second one too. I have been put on set-pieces and that is a role I am having to play at the minute.

“Deliveries into the box are something I practice a lot and it has obviously paid off as we have got goals from it today.”

Preston’s effort – which turned out to be the winner for Town – came just before the break and the visitors were forced to dig deep in the face of the inevitable second-half rally from Barnet.

David Flitcroft’s side stood up well to whatever was thrown at them and the Bees never truly threatened to grab an equaliser as Town began the new year in perfect fashion.

Iandolo added: “We massively had to grind it out, especially in the second half.

“We scored just before half-time and they came out of the traps hard and we had 10 minutes where we had to stick together as a team, make sure there were no holes, win headers and do the ugly side of the game.

“We did that very well and that’s why we kept it at 0-0 in the second half. I am struggling to remember any chances that really troubled us.

“We looked a threat every time we went forward with Kaiyne Woolery’s pace, Luke Norris holding it up and Keshi Anderson getting in behind.

“When we stick together like that, we know we are going to get chances as we have got players up front with quality. We just had to stick together and not concede.”