ASHTON Keynes manager Richard Sutton said his side nearly left it too late to squeeze past Lower Stratton in the Swindon & District League Premier Division at the weekend as an own goal in the dying minutes gave them a 2-1 win.

Steve Andrews had put the visitors in front in the first half before Stratton managed to summon an equaliser and threaten to take a point.

However, an own goal with two minutes to play gave Ashton Keynes the winner Sutton felt they deserved, although he did admit to feeling the goal may not be forthcoming for his side.

Sutton said: “It should have been a hell of a lot more comfortable than it was, but hats off to Stratton, they battled until the end with 11 men. They threw bodies on the line and their keeper was absolutely fantastic.

“We just weren’t clinical enough and didn’t get the luck we needed until the final two minutes where the ball was bundled over the line by one of their players.

“We didn’t play badly and we’re very proud of the boys for plugging away until the end, but if it would have finished in a draw, then we would have been very disappointed.

“There are still more positives to take from this season – we’re still in the Advertiser Cup and we’ve got an opportunity to reach the final now.”

Elsewhere in the Premier Division, Ruby Removals continue to lead the way at the top as they picked up their ninth win of the season against Wheatsheaf Stratton.

Ruby beat their title rivals 3-1 at Sevenfields, consequently putting a six-point gap between themselves and second place.

The team in second, Stratton Juniors, lost ground on Ruby as they could only manage a 2-2 draw at home to Bakers Arms.

Juniors are now two wins behind the leaders, but they do have a game in hand.

The was only one game to take place in Division One – between Kintbury Rangers Reserves and Wroughton Reserves.

Kintbury continued their 100 per cent winning record with an 8-0 win to move on to 24 points, while Wroughton suffered only their third loss of the season.

In Division Two, only a couple of games took place due to the wet weather, with none of the top three in the table able to complete their fixtures.

Fourth-placed Moredon beat the weather and Cricklade Town Reserves to emerge with a 3-1 victory.

Moredon’s hopes of a runners-up finish were given a fresh boost after that win, putting them four points behind second-placed Swindon AFC.

Meanwhile, Brockhill United claimed their seventh point of the season with a 2-2 draw at home to FC Abbeymeads.