ON June 6, 1944, Allied forces landed on the beaches of Normandy to drive Hitler's Nazis back to Berlin.

Last week some of those involved in the great amphibious military operation from Wiltshire were remembered.

In Chippenham Scout leader Chris Jones described the ceremony in the town on the day to pay tribute to Lance Corporal Reginald Gale who was killed on June 8, 1944.

He said: "On a perfect, if slightly chilly, early summer's evening approximately 200 people from the town came together to pay their respects to the fallen including members of the Chippenham Branch of the Royal British Legion, Veterans, Scouts, Guides, Sea Cadets and Second World War re-enactors."

The Rev Simon Dunn gave an act of remembrance while there was an opening address from Irene Sinclair, of the Royal British Legion.

Mr Jones said: "As the bugles fell silent following reveille and the wreaths laid the story of Lance Corporal Reginald Gale, killed on the 8th June 1944, was read out followed by the 11 names of those men killed during the Normandy Campaign period. The names were read out by Reginald Gale’s Great Great Nephew, George.

"After the Act of Remembrance everyone was invited into the Yelde Hall to view a D-Day exhibition created by Richard Broadhead and hosted by Chippenham Museum and Heritage Centre. Over tea and biscuits the Scouts had a chance to talk with Reginald’s niece, Patricia, who had been a bridesmaid at his wedding in 1940."

Over in Marlborough the town paid tribute to those involved in caring for the wounded sent back for the front after the invasion.

On the town's Common there is a commemorative stone at Marlborough Common which marks the place where, during the Second World War, there was a major American army hospital – the 347th Hospital Station.

On June 6, last week the Mayor Cllr Mervyn Hall and members of the Royal British Legion and Royal Naval Association placed wreaths at the stone in recognition of those who fought and died 75 years ago along with those who worked at the hospital during those crucial months of the war.

Long after D-Day the hospital received air-evacuated casualties direct from the continent. The hospital was based there from May 1944 to July 1945, had 1,154 beds, 764 wooden buildings, 390 tents, 49 officers and 75 nurses all treating thousands upon thousands of military personnel. The people of Marlborough, all volunteers, are credited and remembered for working long hours helping doctors and nurses to treat injured service personnel.

Meanwhile in Ogbourne St George, Tony Hawnt turned his thoughts on the day to those of his father's exploits in the war.

Private Benedict Hawnt had been parachuted into Normandy to take part in the thick of the fighting behind German lines. Incredibly he had already survived the ill fated British Expeditionary Force in 1940, fought in North Africa and after D-Day volunteered to take part in the battle of Arnhem as the allies tried to leap frog the Germans in a daring if failed raid. He survived the war and like those who didn't was one of a generation that kept our democracy free of the Nazi threat.