A THIRTEEN year wait for successive victories to start a league campaign is over after Swindon Town reversed a one-goal deficit to defeat Carlisle United 3-2 at the County Ground.

Amid the rain and gale-force winds, Jerry Yates, Zeki Fryers and Kayine Woolery shined a light on SN1 to spark the feel-good factor Richie Wellens has been craving since he first arrived in Wiltshire last November.

Supporters chanted in chorus, the Town End exploded into fifth gear and – most of all – six points out of six are on the board.

And unlike last weekend’s victory at Scunthorpe, Wellens’ squad had to display character, guts and determination to record back-to-back victories.

Encouragingly, the last time Town boasted six from six, they won promotion back into League Two by a single point - that was back in 2007. 

Wellens, unsurprisingly, named an unchanged squad from last week’s two-goal win at Scunthorpe – with Dion Conroy (ankle) and Mathieu Baudry (hamstring) overcoming their minor injuries.

With the wind behind them, you wouldn’t have been called a fool for presuming Town had an extra man in the game’s opening exchanges.

Michael Doughty was denied only by the crossbar with four minutes played as Town pegged United into their own half.

Following an intelligent one-two by Lyden, Doughty received the ball on the edge of the D and smartly guided his effort towards Collin’s top left corner. The ball spectacularly pinged off the crossbar, granting the visitors some needed respite.

Carlisle’s nervousness was apparent moments later when Knight-Percival anxiously nodded Anderson’s inswinging cross behind for a corner, which was almost fortuitously steered past Collin – who had to be sharp on his goal line to prevent a soft opener.

Twenty-three minutes had passed before Carlisle – who had stemmed Town’s early flourish – found their first opening.

A sloppy clearance from Baudry gifted Bridge possession, before he sent Thomas clear on the right. Thomas’ cross was deflected back into the path of Bridge, whose powerful drive from eight yards was fisted clear by McCormick.

Two chances were fluffed by Anderson and Yates prior to the half-hour mark as Town attempted to re-establish their early dominance, which at this point had truly been killed.

An increasingly animated Wellens would’ve been pleased by his side’s counter towards the end of the first half, which forced Collin into a strong-handed save from Woolery’s shot after neat build-up play from Baudry, Lyden and Anderson.

Yates’ vicious strike from outside the area on the stoke of half time was palmed behind, but that was all as the half – frustratingly – ended goalless.

Neither Wellens nor Pressley made a change at half-time, and it took some time for both teams to adapt to the increasingly windy conditions.

But try saying that to United’s dangerman Harry McKirdy. A sensational run along the left wing chalks allowed him to burst beyond the byline and pick out a well-placed Olomola.

Olomola made no mistake from eight yards, beating McCormick’s reach to put United a goal up. Such was the impressive nature of McKirdy’s run, his planned switch with Canice Carroll was called off.

But before a supporter crying for success could scream forward, Town were level.

Isgrove’s smart cross from the right was flicked on by Lyden before Yates was grounded under pressure. That did little to stop the Rotherham loan signing from bundling the ball over the line – sparking scenes of shear joy and jubilation in the Town End.

Amid celebrations, Knight-Percival and Lyden were both shown yellow cards for a post-goal altercation.

Atmosphere naturally turned up a notch, and so did Town’s performance. Doughty went close from a free-kick before Anderson’s effort on 67 minutes dribbled inches wide of Collin’s far post.

Reward wasn’t far away, though.

While the unwelcome rain returned, a delightful corner from Doughty with 20 minutes remaining found Fryers’ head - and Town were level.

A second dose of rain and wind returned, before former Town man Carroll was shown a straight red for a dangerous challenge on star midfielder Lyden.

With less than 10 minutes remaining, the game reached boiling point at this moment.

But Town’s ability to work under pressure paid off when Anderson’s through ball to Woolery made it three.

Under little pressure, Woolery righted his earlier wrongs to fool Collin one-on-one and secure three points – or so it seemed.

Substitute Sagaf immediately responded to Woolery’s marker and make it 3-2.

But it was too little too late, Town's earlier work proved enough to record a second League Two win on the bounce. Next up, Exeter. 

Swindon Town: Luke McCormick, Zeki Fryers, Mathieu Baudry, Lloyd Isgrove (Scott Twine, 90’), Jerry Yates, Michael Doughty, Kaiyne Woolery, Jordan Lyden, Rob Hunt, Dion Conroy, Keshi Anderson.

Carlisle United: Adam Collin, Christie Elliott, Jon Mellish, Nathan Thomas, Michael Jones, Stefan Scougall (Mohammed Sagaf, 78’), Harry McKirdy (Canice Carroll, 58’), Byron Webster, Jack Bridge, Olufela Olomola (Ryan Loft, 58’), Nathaniel Knight-Percival.