KAIYNE Woolery says Swindon Town always backed themselves to finish on top as they claimed a come-from-behind 3-2 victory over Carlisle United in their first home League Two fixture of the new season.

Despite a dominant first-half showing at the Energy Check County Ground, Richie Wellens’ side could not find that elusive goal and returned to the changing rooms with the game still goalless.

Seven minutes into the second period, Town’s frustrations had ramped up a notch as Olufela Olomola fired Carlisle into an unlikely lead.

However, Town used that as a catalyst to finally find their killer touch in front of goal as Jerry Yates grabbed an instant equaliser before further goals from Zeki Fryers and Woolery put the home side in total control.

Mohammed Sagaf’s stoppage-time strike took a little gloss off the final scoreline for Swindon, although Woolery felt his side were more than worthy winners overall.

Manager Wellens had used his half-time team talk to stress to his players to carry on their good work, and Woolery was delighted the home side did not lose their heads after falling behind to the Cumbrians.

“The boys did very well, especially to come back from 1-0 down and turn the game around,” said Woolery.

“I think we looked a threat all game, whereas Carlisle didn’t really have too many clear-cut chances other than the two they scored from. I think we played very well.

“At half-time, the gaffer just said to keep doing what we had done in the first half and the goals would come.

“We needed to keep moving the ball quickly and the chances would come as the game would open up as Carlisle got tired, which they did for the third goal especially. They went bombing on and left massive gaps.

“We stayed calm. We knew with the way the game had gone that we were always going to get back into it.

"We looked the better team and we felt we were the better team.”

Woolery’s crucial third goal came as a result of a lightning Town counter-attack in the last of the 90 minutes, with the forward finishing off a killer through ball from Keshi Anderson.

That meant Anderson repaid the favour Woolery had handed to him for his goal in Swindon’s season-opening victory at Scunthorpe United a week earlier.

Woolery said: “Hopefully we can keep that going. We have got a good understanding now.

“Keshi set me up for another one too, which maybe I could have squared back to him.

“Hopefully we can keep that going and help push the team on.”

Town turn their attentions to the Carabao Cup on Tuesday night with a trip to Colchester United in the first round.