SWINDON Supermarine overcame high-flying Chesham United 2-1 at home on Saturday to claim a first Southern League Premier Division South win since August.

Bradley Hooper’s penalty inside the opening five minutes gave Lee Spalding’s side a dream start at the Webbswood Stadium.

Marine then had to wait until stoppage time at the end of the match to make the points safe as substitute Stuart Fleetwood struck.

However, Chesham then gave the hosts a huge scare when they reduced the deficit through Karl Oliyide – although there was no time left for United to try to force an equaliser.

After starting the season with back-to-back wins, Marine’s next six league fixtures only yielded three additional points – all coming via draws.

Manager Spalding was therefore thrilled to get back to winning ways, particularly given the stiff test his side faced against a Chesham side who began the day second in the table.

“I asked the lads for what I call a proper performance,” said Spalding.

“That means lots of running and tackling and making sure we compete all over the pitch. I thought we did that.

“We have needed to be a bit more composed on the ball – and we were that on Saturday. At times, we passed it really well.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game. We knew we were going to have to do all the ugly things well to compete with Chesham but if we could get the ball down and play to our full potential, we could cause them problems. That showed on the day.

“There were loads of positives to take from the game. We scored two good goals and could have had another couple.

“Chesham were disappointed at the end and said they should have had a penalty too but it’s fine margins. We have been on the end of them and even with their goal, they got lucky.

“We were due a little bit of luck and I felt we did enough to get the win.”

Marine got off to the perfect start as Hooper broke the deadlock with less than five minutes on the clock, lashing home from the penalty spot following a handball on the goalline.

Hooper was then in the action at the other end, clearing off the line from Jeanmal Prosper before Sandro Costa Dias Fernandes poked wide from close range for Chesham.

Marine’s Ryan Campbell saw an effort blocked by Kyle Watson and the home side should have moved two goals to the good from the final chance of the half but Conor McDonagh was unable to beat visiting keeper Jonathan North.

Chesham pressed for an equaliser in the second period but saw their best chance for one denied by a fine save from Marine stopper Martin Horsell, who pushed away Fernandes’ header.

Gaps began to appear in the visiting back-line and Marine pounced as the clock ticked over into stoppage time as Fleetwood led a home counter, robbing Oliyide of the ball on halfway before beating North as he advanced off his line.

The action was not done, though, and Oliyide got Chesham back into it after a scramble in the box – although the goal came much too late to deny Marine their win.