SWINDON Town’s struggle to beat top half League Two teams continued at the Energy Check County Ground this afternoon, as Plymouth Argyle’s visit concluded in a 1-1 draw.

Eoin Doyle notched a timely goal for Town at the end of the first half after Argyle striker Zak Rudden squandered a golden opportunity to put the Devon outfit ahead moments earlier.

But the visitors’ superior shot count told when Joel Grant linked up superbly with impact substitute George Cooper to restrict Richie Wellens’ side to a point.

The game will perhaps be remembered by most for its regular and needless stoppages by experienced referee Rob Lewis, who regularly came under fire from both sets of supporters, players and management.

Wellens opted to make four changes from last week’s team that lost to Bradford City.

New signing Dion Donohue made his debut, while Mathieu Baudry made his first league start since Colchester’s visit.

Steven Benda made his Football League debut while Eoin Doyle returned up front.

After Anderson’s ambitious effort from range was comfortably caught by visiting ‘keeper Palmer, Town were opened up for the first time with seven minutes played.

A neat through ball fooled Baudry and Hunt as Rudden escaped both men to emerge into Town’s penalty area with pressure from behind.

Home fans’ understandable concern was quashed when the backtracking Baudry excellently ensured Argyle’s on loan teenage striker failed to register a shot.

Town threatened 10 minutes later. Twinkle-toed Isgrove turned on McFadzean three times before delivering a cross towards the waiting Doyle at the visitors’ back post.

Try as he might, Doyle couldn’t quite time his jump correctly as his glance was nodded well wide.

Isgrove and Doyle combined again minutes later, this time the Irishman’s headed looped onto the roof of Palmer’s net.

Between all this, there were three pauses in play as Anderson, Isgrove and Grant went down to receive medical attention – all three men men continued without issue.

Danny Mayor’s effort from a tight angle on 37 minutes was aimed underwhelmingly wide.

But Argyle’s Rudden was again left to ponder his wrongdoing when a one-on-one effort against Benda was directed straight at Town’s new first-choice ‘keeper.

The teenager was made to pay for his poor effort in front of goal minutes later when Town – against the run of play – broke the deadlock.

Eoin Doyle’s name went down on the scoresheet after he scrambled the ball past Palmer. But the plaudits must go to Jordan Lyden, whose smart pass sliced through no more than five visiting defenders after Anderson and Yates provided the earlier build-up work.

A goal up at half-time, the majority would’ve certainly taken that.

No changes were made by Wellens at half time, though Ryan Lowe opted to introduce central defender Niall Canavan in place of Will Aimson.

Rudden’s overhit drive from 22 yards was the only chance of the half’s opening 10 minutes.

It was evident during this period that Keshi Anderson was lacking his usual energetic flair.

He was consequently removed from play with the game approaching its hour mark, Michael Doughty came on.

The game took a scrappy turn. Mathieu Baudry picked up a needless yellow card after holding the ball following Rob Lewis’ decision to award Argyle a free kick.

Jordan Lyden was also, controversially, shown yellow. Petit spats between players resulted from Lewis’ calls – the game needed controlling at this point.

Ryan Lowe used his remaining two substitutes with 20 minutes remaining – on came Baxter and Cooper for Riley and McFadzean.

Argyle enjoyed greater levels of possession with the clock ticking down. But chances were limited to efforts outside the area – Town’s defence held firm, or so it seemed.

Argyle’s period of dominance told, and they drew level with 15 minutes remaining - sparking the Stratton Bank into a green mist of joy and jubilation.

The goal was well worked. Quick movement from goalscorer Joel Grant and the masked George Cooper granted the former a free shot on goal eight yards out.

His right-footed effort was delicately placed in Benda’s far right corner. Game on.

Argyle continued to press from kick-off, but visiting boss Lowe no doubt breathed a sigh of relief when Mayor’s challenge on Benda was only punished with a yellow.

Town’s ‘keeper held the ball with both hands when Lowe wrapped both arms around Benda’s neck – a ‘high tackle’ that would’ve been better placed on the rugby field.

At the other end, Woolery squandered a golden opportunity to win the match when dragging an effort wide of Palmer’s far post.

Steven Benda came to Town’s rescue shortly before four minutes was signalled for injury time. A thunderous volley by Sarcevic was fisted back in eye-catching style.

Town continued to come under heavy fire, but they held on to record a point – their fourth in five games.

Swindon Town: Steven Benda, Rob Hunt, Mathieu Baudry, Gabriel Zakuani, Dion Donohue, Anthony Grant, Jordan Lyden, Lloyd Isgrove (Kaiyne Woolery, 76’), Keshi Anderson (Michael Doughty, 56’), Jerry Yates, Eoin Doyle.

Plymouth Argyle: Alex Palmer, Joe Riley (Jose Baxter, 60’), Gary Sawyer, Will Aimson (Niall Canavan, 45’), Scott Wootton, Antoni Sarcevic, Joe Edwards, Danny Mayor, Joel Grant, Callum McFadzean (George Cooper, 68’), Zak Rudden.